• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Do you prefer to play your Switch docked or handheld?

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I always play it docked. It’s mostly because my joycons are super drifty so I play with a pro controller, but that’s not the only reason haha. I also love seeing a bigger image of the game, especially when I play Ori. The beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds have to be seen in the biggest and best resolution possible. Also I never take my Switch anywhere. It’s never been outside the house. I’m just not one to do that, I prefer relaxing on my couch with a pro controller in hand and playing on the tv.

So do you play mostly docked or handheld?

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
It really depends on the game and my mood, but more often than not, I'll just go with handheld, because it's more accessible to a person like me with low motivation and focus. I do have to dock, however, if I plan to record any gameplay, and I'm fine with that.

I'm the exact same way. I almost always play handheld just because it feels way more convenient and I have to motivate myself less to actually play.

Plus my dock is set up in the living room so I can still play when others are up. And for Splatoon I think I play a lot better in handheld.

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I generally play it docked when I am playing games that I think are better on a big screen and before I got new joy cons I played it docked because one of my joycons were drifting and I really hated always dying because the character was moving when I wasn't telling it to. I only really play handheld mode when I am away from my house, I do prefer Animal Crossing and the Pokemon games on handheld mode. I really prefer the procontroller over the joycons. I got new joycons but I don't want to use them as much since they are the skyward sword ones and I want them to last a long time and I don't want the designs that are on it to fade.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Handheld about 99% of the time. Handheld master race. I hate sitting in front of the TV for extended times. I like to lay on my bed and roll around and change position as needed. Plus it's also more satisfying to have the game in my hands up close and personal.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I used to almost always play docked, and I still prefer docked to handheld, but lately I've been playing a bit more in handheld to have the freedom to go into different rooms and still play. Back when it was a bit cooler out I'd sometimes sit in my backyard and play too. I never used to take my switch around with me much, but I've been doing that a lot more too. While waiting to get my haircut 2 months ago I took my Switch with me and played to pass the time.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I always play handheld because
1. My dad's switch is connected to the tv, it's usually in the dock so I don't want to touch it in case I break it.
2. I have trouble seeing stuff on the tv. It's really small, and for some reason I get confused with what's going on.
3. I can play when other people are using the tv.

For the longest time I played exclusively in handheld due to not having a suitable screen for docked play. Now I definitely prefer docked, but it depends on the game. All the first party releases I own play great on both. Skyward Sword is too awkward on handheld for me.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Depends. About half and half, I'd say. I tend to go handheld when I just want to kick back in my chair to play something, but there's also times where I want the bigger screen for a more visually appealing game or to use my pro controller.

MightyMario

The Vengeful Warrior | Drawn by Uwu_Oocoo2
I play it docked most of the time. I only do handheld for YouTube or I’m sitting on the couch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom