• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Prefer Small or Large Playlists?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
To clarify, I'm on about when you put you headphones/turn your speakers up and just listen to music whatever the situation may be. For example, you might only listen to around 15-20 songs or even a few songs on repeat vs listening to a mass collection of 50-100 songs on shuffle.

Which do you prefer and why?

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
It really depends. If the music in the playlist is my all-time favorite songs that almost never get old, I love short playlists. If they are songs that I simply don't care that much about, I enjoy longer playlists. However, since I am probably the least knowledgable about bands and I can only name like 10 songs off the top of my head, I usually have reletivaly short playlists. Which is fine by me because I rarely listen to music for more than a half-hour at a time, meaning that I almost never get to hear it repeat.

Ah, it sort of depends of what I'm doing, and the time of year. I have over 70 playlists on my iPod, so it's pretty inconsistent. I used to make Top 20 playlists every three months, and listen to them regularly, but I kind of got out of the habit of doing that. The thing with short playlists is, while I can get through them during the duration of a school day's being in the hallways/on lunch break, it kind of can risk exhausting the songs in them. The two most recent playlists I've made on my iPod have both 140 songs in them, and that's a pretty good length for me, I think. 70-ish is probably my average, if you don't count a few outlying playlists that I have containing, like, 8 songs, or my entire iPod's contents.

Note I also put songs that I just added into their own playlist, regardless of how few or much of them I add at a time. Re-listening to songs that I got in summertime a few years ago, makes me nostalgic, especially since it's currently summer. d: Haven't been able to add songs to my iPod since January, though. So anything I've downloaded after that, I've just been listening to on my computer in separate WMP playlists, lol.

Last edited:
I currently have about 5k songs on my phone spanning over about 200 playlists. It's a huge mess.These playlists can last anywhere from 5 songs (my smallest) to about 2.2k (my largest). I can put one of the large playlists on shuffle, giving me the opportunity to listen to just about every song on my phone. When I'm trying to listen to something specific, I can either just use the search function or go into one of the smaller playlists. Spotify's search function is super handy.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I personally like longer playlists. I have many on my iPod featuring different genres and styles, so depending on the time and place, I select one and proceed to jam out. I like longer playlists as all the songs are already pre-selected to my liking, so I can just play it without having to fumble with changing the song every three minutes.

Ganondork

goo
Well, when it comes to my music listening sessions, it's kind of hard to pinpoint what I might choose to do. I have a lot of different ways of listening to music, and each has their pros and cons.

When I think of playlists, I generally think of my favorite YouTube channel, MixHound. I have a very special place in my heart for chillstep, and they provide a vast array of that kind of music. I really like being able to lounge back and enjoy calming music while I type out a post, write a story, etc. Most of the playlists are about an hour long, usually only going about a minute over. If I had to guess, I'd say there are about 15-20 songs in each playlist. In that case, I would say it's a longer playlist.

Another common thing for me to do is listen to albums from bands I've never heard of. I've found some really great bands like that - The Shins; The Antlers; Now, Now; Iron and Wine; Low Roar - and it's one of my preferred ways to discover music. I'm not sure if you'd be able to consider this method a playlist, but I would say it's something along those lines. As most albums are, they're about 7-10 songs per album.

So I'd say that my playlists are medium in length to a bit longer. It depends on your definition of playlist. I've never really made an actual playlist, as I generally listen to a single artist for an entire day and appreciate their creations. Or I go to MixHound and enjoy really calming chillstep.

D

Deleted member 14134

If I'm going on a long drive I'll just throw my ipod on shuffle and see what plays. Often a good song will come on that I haven't listened to in awhile. I find this better than nitpicking which songs I want to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom