• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you prefer English dub or the original Japanese dub for anime?

English dub or japanese dub?

• Total voters

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Hey ZD,

So I was watching the Konosuba English dub today and I found that I enjoyed it 100% more than the first time I watched the Japanese dub............

Alright I'm just gonna skip to the point of this thread: The Japanese voicing is usually far superior to the English voicing, which usually sounds cheesy and cringey (kind of like all of the acting in Phantom Menace).

I always assumed the reason as to why is because it was made and written in Japan, and therefore, the script is intended to be read in the Japanese language. And a lot of the time, the English translation butchers the humor and character behavior; so I believe.

There are some exceptions however, when the English voicing is almost, if not entirely as well-done as the Japanese dub. Plus, with an English dub, there's the added bonus of being able to understand the dialogue without having to read little white letters at the bottom of the screen. And unless you can understand Japanese, the speaking in the original dub is more or less just gibberish. However, when English dub is done right, it gives Western audiences a chance to understand the characters better; their tone, their personality, their humor, their emotions, their intent. Word choice is important, as is the voice saying those words.

So this brings me back to Konosuba. In my opinion, the English dub was done perfectly. The voice acting wasn't over the top or monotonous and at the same time, the dialogue (and monologue) was still faithful to the original Japanese dub. And the voices for the characters couldn't have been better, as they matched perfectly with the character (for example: The succubus talked with a seductive and naughty tone, Aqua had a tone akin to a spoiled little girl, and Darkness had some sort of medieval lady tone that was absolutely hilarious to hear during her masochist moments).

Holy hell do I need to work on condensing my words.

Anyway, I usually prefer English dubs. Even if they are usually poorly done, I am at least able to understand the story without having to read a bunch of little white letters at the bottom of the screen (rather than focusing my eyes on the action). And when they are done right like Konosuba, they can also let me understand the characters and tone of the anime.

So which do you prefer, and why?

Depends on the series. Some series like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun have an equally excellent voice cast for both versions, series such as Black Lagoon are better dubbed, and others like Basilisk are better subbed.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I always prefer dub over subbed. Having to hear the lines, then read the subtitles creates a huge disconnect that sucks away any enjoyment. Dragonball and Deadman Wonderland are the only anime I can tolerate subbed

D

Deleted member 88720

For me it depends on the anime!

For example: I prefer "English" for Dragon Ball Z, Attack On Titan and My Hero Academia

but

I like "Japanese" for Naruto Shippuden

I'd watch both if I can't decide, and if I made time to do so!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Generally I find anime should be watched in the Japanese language and that way the characters sound as they were originally intended to. Especially if the anime is actually set in Japan it makes sense for the characters to speak Japanese.

People who watch it dubbed are uncultured swine :oink:

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Generally I find anime should be watched in the Japanese language and that way the characters sound as they were originally intended to. Especially if the anime is actually set in Japan it makes sense for the characters to speak Japanese.

People who watch it dubbed are uncultured swine :oink:
The gentlemen at the country club shall hear of this tom foolery good day
Actually if it takes place in Japan that would make more sense. Reminds me of Brock's jelly donuts

Depends. Sometimes english dubs knock it out of the park like Steins;Gate. Others like the original Evangelion dub (not this new Netflix bollocks) are iconic because of the brilliant performances the actors put in regardless of the translations they were given.

Generally i'll watch an anime dubbed first but if I really enjoy it I'll rewatch it with subs like I did for S;G and Eva.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
For me it depends on the anime but I can watch both of most series and not hate the dub too much. I think the newest dub of the Pretty Cure series Glitter Force and Magic Knight Ray Earth are the only ones I hate.

Mido

Version 1
I usually prefer dubs, although there are times where the subs are just as hip. Perhaps my enjoyment of following the voiceover industry keeps my dub enjoyment afloat! :sweat:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Depends on the series. Some are better dubbed, some are better subbed. I couldn't imagine watching Hellsing Ultimate in Japanese, considering who the characters are, where it takes place, and Crispin Freeman's performance knocks it out of the park.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Subs and dubs are for casuals :P

But in all seriousness, even when I couldn’t speak any Japanese I enjoyed the subs much more. I generally find that the voice acting is better (and is pretty cringe in the English dubs). Reading words at the bottom of the screen isn’t all that distracting for me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom