• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you prefer Classic Zelda or Experimental Zelda?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Classic Zelda
The Legend of Zelda
A Link To The Past
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Seasons/Ages
The Wind Waker
The Minish Cap
Twilight Princess
A Link Between Worlds

Experimental Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Link's Awakening
Majora's Mask
Four Swords/Adventures
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword
Tri Force Heroes
Breath of the Wild

Experimental Zelda in this regard is concerning games that took a sideways step into either controller schemes (PH, ST, SS), narrative and tone, (LA, MM) went multiplayer, sidescroller or just revamped the entire thing (BotW).

Classic Zelda is, well, Zelda, as traditional as it can be, dungeons, Triforce, Master Sword and Ganondorf, all things considered.

Which one do you find yourself leaning towards? Is this franchise at it's best when it sticks to the core, or try to flex it's wings elsewhere?

Last edited:
Classic Zelda for me.

I like a few of the experimental titles like Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild, but some things they introduce are often double edged swords.

Classic Zelda is a simpler affair with no frills, concise gaming that knows what it is.

I'm open to experimentation but Aonuma and company rarely get things right on the first go.

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I think it really depends on how it’s experimental. MM and LA are easily some of the best games in the series, while the multiplayer games are some of the worst. On the other end, OoT, WW and LoZ are also some of the best, while TP and LBW are also some of the worst. It’s honestly a case-by-case basis for me.

Also I’d move the oracle games to the experimental list.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I like bits of both evenly. I get what you mean by experimental, but I feel like various aspects of each game are experimental in ways. Ocarina of Time was obviously experimental at the time it released by being the first 3D Zelda, having the first 3D combat in the series, and pioneering target locking. Basically, I feel like each game manages to add something new, even if it's just an expansion to the traditional lore, or a new game mechanic like the rental system for weapons in ALBW.

In any case, sticking with your list's concept, I'd definitely add TFH into experimental games.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
For me it's Experimental Zelda, though not without consideration. The series' has five 10/10 games for me, (LoZ, OoT, MM, TP, ALBW) and and four of them is in Classic, so in those terms it'd be Classic.

But I just love experimentation in art in general, and speaking of actual implementations and ideas in the series, some of my favorite ones are the 3-day cycle, the odd and quirky tone of LA, the touch controls (although I don't like the games themselves) and last but not least the radical risks and overhauls the team did with BotW.

@Spiritual Mask Salesman added it!

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
So I do like me some traditional Zelda, but man, when the experimental Zelda's get something right, they get it right.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Experimental Zelda, easily. That's where most of my favorites lie. Zelda is at its best when it tries to be creative, combining what its got with something new. Just look at BotW; best damn game in the series. I want to see them continue with these experimental titles. BotW2 looks promising in that regard.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'd flip some of the games on the lists around. Skyward Sword, for instance, is probably one of the safest, blandest games in the series, but has an iffy motion control setup. I'd categorize it as super traditional.

I would say Wind Waker is a bit more in the middle with it's art style and sailing. Overall I prefer experimental Zelda, my two favorite games in the series are MM and LA, and the experimental games even if on average are not as good of games outright, pave the way for great features in the classic style games.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
It's both and neither for me. It completely depends on the game. MM is my favorite, but I like most of the games.
I must say that while I love BotW, it doesn't really feel like a Zelda-game to me, mainly because it removed too many things that I feel is needed. I just feel like the games can still be good when not sticking completly with the classic stuff, but to actually feel like a Zelda-game to me, it needs to have a few things in it (real dungeons, some sort of item progression, different bosses etc.)

I have favorites on both lists, so I think I just like Zelda either way. Looking at the lists as a whole there are a few of the "experimental games" that I don't like, but the ones I DO like I really enjoy quite a bit. It just depends on what they are experimenting with. Those games can be hit or miss and people can have widely different opinions on what was experimental about the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom