• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Play New or Oldstyle?

CrazyforCuckoos

Purveyor of Cuckoos
By this I mean, when given the choice to dowse for things, do you dowse or do you go old school and look for the things yourself? I've been using it.
Also, do you use a shield or not? I switch between shield and no shield.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Well, the dowsing is actually quite mandatory the first time through. There's pretty much no way to find the stuff without using it. As far as the shield goes, I always have one on hand, but I barely use it. I only bring it up to parry attacks (or to show the Sacred Shield to the Cursed Bokoblins to make them tremble).

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Old school and look for things, like a boss!
No shield and weakest weapons whenever you can, like a boss!

Really though, it's cool that you can switch in and out of a shield for perseverance and things like that, and having only a sword onhand makes Link so much cooler.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Old school and look for things, like a boss!
No shield and weakest weapons whenever you can, like a boss!

I really don't see why people treat no shield runthroughs and intentionally making things harder like it's a whole new game. So you increased the difficulty a bit. So what? I tried a 3 heart challenge in both normal and Master Quest in OoT 3D after beating both as I normally would, and it felt the exact same. I died a bit more, but that's it. "Yay, no shield, I can't defend myself!" I typically never need to, so it doesn't matter to me. Maybe I'm a rare person when it comes to this, but I just don't understand all the "increase the difficulty, make the game better and become hardcore!!" mentality. It's just...a word I can't think of.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You'll never find out why people do it until you get seriously involved with sites like ZSR (Zelda Speed Runs) and TAS players. Being able to cut down on time despite the odds is simply amazing. Fighting a boss without a shield I could argue is more realistic, and despite the fact that Zelda is fantasy, a hint of realism is never bad. Yes, none of it is necessary, but it opens up a whole new world.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
You'll never find out why people do it until you get seriously involved with sites like ZSR (Zelda Speed Runs) and TAS players. Being able to cut down on time despite the odds is simply amazing. Fighting a boss without a shield I could argue is more realistic, and despite the fact that Zelda is fantasy, a hint of realism is never bad. Yes, none of it is necessary, but it opens up a whole new world.

I've done all this. I've done a 100% speedrun on MM (14:36). It was fun, but it's not like it makes a difference in the world. "Yay, I did something totally awesome that most people couldn't do!" Who cares? Is it going to matter two seconds from now? I understand that it makes the game a bit more fun after it gets boring because you've mastered it, but people make too much out of it is my point. They overhype it.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I've done all this. I've done a 100% speedrun on MM (14:36). It was fun, but it's not like it makes a difference in the world. "Yay, I did something totally awesome that most people couldn't do!" Who cares? Is it going to matter two seconds from now? I understand that it makes the game a bit more fun after it gets boring because you've mastered it, but people make too much out of it is my point. They overhype it.

People enjoy different styles. It's their right, same as with opinions. They're able to do it because they are given free will.

Otherwise I'm still mastering the dowsing part...and I prefer to use the shield. I don't mind a challenge every now and then, but dying from no-shield runs can be overly frustrating, and doesn't allow me to relish the experience.

I only used dowsing if I got REALLY stuck. Strangely enough I went without a shield for the majority of the game, I thought Link looked pretty darn cool shiedless. Also I wasn't a big fan of the 3 shields. Of course you didn't get the Hylian Shield untill near the end which sucked. D:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

The exact same could be said for using a shield or dowsing or whatever it is that is standard. Who cares if you can beat the game with a shield? Anyone could do that. It's just a matter of being on top in a forum centered around leaderboards. It's like playing for a high score, I'll put it like that. :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
The exact same could be said for using a shield or dowsing or whatever it is that is standard. Who cares if you can beat the game with a shield? Anyone could do that. It's just a matter of being on top in a forum centered around leaderboards. It's like playing for a high score, I'll put it like that. :)

Well, that's why I elaborated on what I meant. I wasn't quite clear from the start, and that was a big mistake. It's less that I don't see why people do it and more that they make it out to be one of the biggest things to do imaginable. Some people seem to treat it like it's holy (exaggeration). My whole point is it's not as amazing as some people make it out to be. It's fun, sure, but the mentality that some people have about it is over the top.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, that is what one can sum up different video games to be. Overhyped and over the top. It's one of those things that matter to the group concerning it, and to everyone else it's like "oh...wow, moving on". I know what you mean, I was part of that crowd once until I started engaging into that stuff. Anyway, back on topic;

Dowsing can be extremely useful if you're stuck, but searching for things on your own makes the adventure more...adventerous the way I'm looking at it.

ZeldaFan11

#TeamPhelps
i rarely use my sheild cause frankly i forget about it all the time. lol, and i dont really need it. and for dowsing the only time i used it was for the 5 shards in the earth temple.....other than that i havnt used either of them :P and i dont like to Dowse because i feel like im cheating& i dont wanna rely on dowsing everytime i have to look for something.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Well, that is what one can sum up different video games to be. Overhyped and over the top. It's one of those things that matter to the group concerning it, and to everyone else it's like "oh...wow, moving on". I know what you mean, I was part of that crowd once until I started engaging into that stuff.

Yes, I know what you're saying. I do some of this stuff, but I don't make a big deal about it. It's just not worth it to me. Speed runthroughs I really enjoy, but things like minimalist rungthroughs I'll only do if I've gotten too good at the game and it's becoming almost boring. (I like to collect everything, see.)

Dowsing can be extremely useful if you're stuck, but searching for things on your own makes the adventure more...adventerous the way I'm looking at it.

I personally think not using dowsing doesn't make it more of an adventure at all. I think it just makes it more frustrating when you can't find something. Searching for treasure without any kind of guide for it? What kind of sense does that make? That makes it nearly impossible to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom