• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Plan on Buying Super Mario 3D All Stars?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
After almost a year of rumors about a collection of the 3D Super Mario games, earlier today Nintendo surprised us with an official Direct confirming that this game is real. Priced at $59.99 USD, Super Mario 3D All Stars will be a limited-time physical and digital purchase. With this in mind, if one wants a physical copy of the game, pre-ordering is the safest bet.

How many of us plan on buying this game in some capacity? Which version will you be getting? And do you feel like the price is justified for the content? Are you disappointed that they are merely standard ports enhanced for HD, and that the collection is strangely missing Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Last edited:

MW7

Yes, and I am definitely going to try to buy the physical copy. The lack of Super Mario Galaxy 2 is disappointing, but I'll enjoy playing the games that are included.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I just put my pre-order in for the physical copy. I don’t mind that they’re HD ports, actually. Both Sunshine and Galaxy (the games I’m more interested in playing) hold up incredibly well graphically, so a simple upscaling is fine by me.

I’ve beaten Galaxy 2 already, and have no desire to return to it, so it’s absence doesn’t bother me personally. Although I am surprised that it was left out, considering it’s one of the most popular 3D Mario games.

As to the price...I can justify it since I want to have the games in HD and easily playable in handheld mode, but I get that some will say that it’s overpriced (and they wouldn’t be wrong). It’s really what the consumer gets out of their purchase, I guess.

Magolor04726

Hum dee doo
I want to, may use money my dad owes me (MWA HA H- *cough cough* *HACK!* *cough*) to buy it, since I love Mario. (I had a TON of random energy after hearing about it.

I don't need this at all. I have a working N64 and Mario 64, I also have Mario 64 on Wii U VC, I have three working Gamecubes and a signed copy of Mario Sunshine, I have a working Wii and Wii U and both Galaxy games... I don't need to buy this.

The fact that they're just optimised ports is very disappointing when every game could have been remade into something impressive, like the original All Stars release.

However, it's my birthday soon, I like the idea of having every 3D Mario in one place (even if Switch controllers are prone to breaking) and it is a limited offer, meaning it is already a collectors item, meaning if I ever find myself financially scuppered I could probably sell it for a pretty sum to the right person.

So, yeah, sure.

Last edited:
I ended up texting my mom and asking her to preorder the physical so I wouldn't have to deal with my dad to get it, and she said she took care of it, so yeah. I feel like it'd be something I'd regret not getting, especially since I havent played two of the three games included in it. And, I like physical copies. Hate asking for stuff out of the blue, though.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Disappointed about the lack of SMG2, but I don’t really mind. I’ve played everything except for 64. Probably gonna preorder it tomorrow (as long as it’s still available...)

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I don't need this at all. I have a working N64 and Mario 64, I also have Mario 64 on Wii U VC, I have three working Gamecubes and a signed copy of Mario Sunshine, I have a working Wii and Wii U and both Galaxy games... I don't need to buy this.
I feel the exact same way! I've got SM64 on a working N64 and the remake on DS. I've got Sunshine that I can play on both my Gamecube and my Wii, and also both Galaxy.
Had they been remakes I'd go for it, would love to see a Sunshine with the Odyssey graphics, but since they're just ports with a slight upscale, it's just something I don't need.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I've already preordered it. My sister and I went for the digital copy. I don't think it's overpriced at all. It's 3 amazing and loved games for the price of a normal Switch game. Hell, it can be hard to find a copy of Sunshine alone for the Gamecube for that price. Plus I haven't played Galaxy yet and it's more convenient at this point to have it on the Switch. It's also a collector's edition basically since it's limited release. And those are usually more expensive. I think you're getting your money's worth and probably prefer it this way. Because if Nintendo had done full remasters I'm sure each game alone would be $60, in which case I would think it wasn't worth it.

I guess it's a bit disappointing to not have Galaxy 2 with it since I've never played it. But maybe they'll release that as a standalone at some point.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
if wal mart has physical copies for $50 like they usually do odds are good that I'll pick it up no matter what
but I do want to see what exactly their changes amount to first- both sunshine and galaxy have poor camera control and sunshine has a bunch of jank that a port could potentially change; remember, the gamecube had analog controls so the control scheme can't be directly ported over, they literally have to change aspects of the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom