• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you persist with bad games?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What I mean is. When you get a game and think its gonna be something you will enjoy, but it actually turns out to be complete crap. Do you persist with it and finish the game, even though you don't like it, or like me do you get rid of the game at the earliest convenience?

Sometimes people ask, what bad games have you played and I have difficulty putting together a list. The reason I don't remember some of the bad games I have played is because I didn't finish them and got rid, as soon as I could. And that's mission accomplished in my eyes because I am sure that I am better off without the memories of those experiences in my head.

Unfortunately, some games, although I didn't finish them have stayed with me and haunt my nightmares to this day such as the vile sonic 06...*shivers*

Yeah I don't usually finish bad games. I don't usually buy bad games either. I have a pretty good sense of whether I'll enjoy something or not. The only games I hate that I finish are important entries in series that I like. I hated Twilight Princess, but obviously I've gotta finish that. I hated Chain of Memories and Re:Coded but I finished those. But beyond that if I see a game and I don't /know/ that I'm gonna like it I just don't bother with it. I'm usually not wrong about that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
quite often then actually end up being favorites
Actually, with FF 13. I hated the gameplay, but really enjoyed the aesthetic and story of the game. So I completed it. It was kind of a pleasure in return for pain kind of experience for me.

pkfroce

Skelepuns
The only reason I don't throw away ****ty games is that I always stick around to see if it gets any better. Paper Mario Sticker Star did not get any better and I regret spending my money on it.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
No, I don't. I give every game a fair shot, of course, don't do what some people do and come online and whine about how bad a game is having only played the tutorial sections, but I'll pretty much stop when I've had enough. Not the type to grit my teeth and go through it if I'm not enjoying it a few hours in, there's so many great games out there that it's not worth wasting time on a bad one!

Masked Bastard

formerly Captain B
What I find is I'll get games that people gush about, find that I hate them for whatever reason, and then still persevere to try and beat them.

Strider on NES in particular. Ok, so the guy has a freaking orbital space station shaped like a dragon. That's cool, but it doesn't forgive his horrible jump physics. Also, tbh, the graphics kinda suck. They're... maybe a little worse than Bionic Commando? Maybe about the same.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I've never understood the concept of finishing something you start just because you've started, even though you don't like it. I once had a classmate turned colleague who would eat up any meal he bought even if he hated it, because he had paid for it, and I have a flatmate who will try out new stuff, and even if she hates it she will finish it. While I'm watching them, wondering why they are further punishing themselves? Isn't it bad enough they spent their money on food they don't like, they have to further punish themselves by eating it as well?

No thanks. I don't care how much I paid for it, if I don't like a meal, I don't finish it, if I don't like a song, I will turn if off, if I don't like a movie/show, I will stop watching, if I don't like a book, I will stop reading, if I don't like a game I will stop playing. One thing is giving a thing the opportunity to grow on you, like playing for a while, so you know it's not just a bad start for an otherwise enjoyable game, but playing it to finish? I don't even finish all the games I like, why would I waste time on games I don't like?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I've never understood the concept of finishing something you start just because you've started, even though you don't like it. I once had a classmate turned colleague who would eat up any meal he bought even if he hated it, because he had paid for it, and I have a flatmate who will try out new stuff, and even if she hates it she will finish it. While I'm watching them, wondering why they are further punishing themselves? Isn't it bad enough they spent their money on food they don't like, they have to further punish themselves by eating it as well?

No thanks. I don't care how much I paid for it, if I don't like a meal, I don't finish it, if I don't like a song, I will turn if off, if I don't like a movie/show, I will stop watching, if I don't like a book, I will stop reading, if I don't like a game I will stop playing. One thing is giving a thing the opportunity to grow on you, like playing for a while, so you know it's not just a bad start for an otherwise enjoyable game, but playing it to finish? I don't even finish all the games I like, why would I waste time on games I don't like?

Most people are taught not to be wasteful and to be grateful to have something such as food or the game. I know for a fact if i buy something such as food and i dislike it i will still eat it because i just spent money on it. No sense in throwing money down the drain just because you dislike it. With Videogames it's different you can resell them on granted it might not be store price but you still get something back for it. Most games i've disliked i have played them to at least midgame so i have some to base my dislike on instead of looking at the tutorial and complaining about just that. Tis what i did with SS and i thoroughly hate that game. Same applied to Zelda 2 and the original i dislike those as well.

I think it's only fair that you complete a game you bought because you never know if things might turn out for the better. For example (unpopular opinion alert) I didn't like Kingdom Hearts 1.5 for the most part, but even I have to admit the ending was more favorable than I imagined it to be, and that bumped it up. If you create an opinion based on something you didn't completely beat, then it's an inherently weak opinion.

Of course there are exceptions like complete bugged messes (ET, Superman 64) or disgustingly immature titles (Custer's Last Stand), but for the most part I think people should see something through till the end.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think it's only fair that you complete a game you bought because you never know if things might turn out for the better. For example (unpopular opinion alert) I didn't like Kingdom Hearts 1.5 for the most part, but even I have to admit the ending was more favorable than I imagined it to be, and that bumped it up. If you create an opinion based on something you didn't completely beat, then it's an inherently weak opinion.

Of course there are exceptions like complete bugged messes (ET, Superman 64) or disgustingly immature titles (Custer's Last Stand), but for the most part I think people should see something through till the end.

Have you ever heard the expression: You don't need to finish eating a plate of faeces to know you don't like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom