• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Do You Only Look to Nintendo for Zelda?

While Mario may be nintendo's mascot (luckily he got their first) it seems to me that all gamers look over to nintendo for while they play their xboxes and playstations, is to see what Zelda is doing.

Take this year's e3 for example, since the event no interview that i have seen either from Reggie, Iwata, Shigsy or Aonuma has failed to mention Zelda, indeed the only reasons the WiiU may still be attracting any kind of attention at all is becuase gamers still have to wait for ZeldaU to see if it is gonna be worth their time. donkey Kong, Metroid, Mario, kirby etc have all gone largely unmentioned despite both mario and DK having new games shown.

Let us look at the anniversaries that we have had recently too, Kirby got a 20th anniversary collection that never made it to europe, Mario got a game collection and a red Wii, Metroid got nothing at all but Zelda got the Hyrule Historia, a new game in SS, A touring orchestra and a lot of miscellaneous merchandise...

Does Zelda take too much precedence in nintendo's list of IPs? or is it truly the only thing they have left to attract modern gamers?

No. That Nintendo is delivering Zelda and Mario mostly is a different story. They have Metroid, Starfox, earthbound etc that many of us look forward, hoping they will bring them in new games. There is also the hope for a new franchise being form, just like Pikmin surprised us a decade ago.

ScouseOctorok

An avid Blue
I would say Zelda definitely seems to have overtaken Mario as Nintendo's poster boy IN A WAY. In all respects to Mario, the games they are making for his IP are just call backs to classics such as Super Mario World, etc. They aren't making new titles, they're remaking old titles and calling them new. They need to create games with the playing style of Super Mario 64 and Galaxy but not make them sequels. They need a new, fresh idea to keep Mario afloat in a sense.

As for Zelda, well, Zelda is what's hip in video game culture. It's pervaded what we think a fantasy adventure game should consist of and taken a tight hold on what we think of when we think Nintendo.

A new franchise would also be very very welcome, as Kaynill said. Nintendo can't become a one-trick pony. They need to start reviving old IP's that also helped shape what Nintendo is today. Star Fox, Metroid, etc. all could have potential on the Wii U.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I know for me, Zelda does kind of over shadow everything else on ALL the nintendo systems. If a new Zelda game doesnt excite me enough im not gonna get the system, and all the DK, Mario Kart and traditional mario titles dont even get a chance cuz Zelda didnt peak my interest.

Good example would be the Game Cube, i was not all that cool with the Toon Graphics of WW back when it came out, i was in my Metal Head days and just didnt care to play a toon link themed game, i dont know, so i never got the gamecube, i actually got a wii just so i could play the gamecube version of Twilight Princess! I wont lie, ill admit i missed a hell of a game, but ive played WW now and realize i missed a good game.

Point being for me, if a good Zelda game does not come to a Nintendo Console I will not buy that console! Simple as that. So i am a perfect example of what this OP is talking about!

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I look to Nintendo for different.

Generally, and next Generation seems to be much the same, it's Xbox vs PS vs PC. They tend to share all the same big multi-platform games and duke it out with their own exclusives. Nintendo always seems to be off on their own, for better or for worse we don't know but, they're different. For many people, they always have 1 of the 3 formerly mentioned, and Nintendo's is the cheap secondary console they get purely for exclusives. It's what I've always done really, and what I will continue to do. PC will remain my main console, and will likely be picking up a PS4 and Xbox One somewhere down the line, but, the Wii U doesn't come into my console debates. It's it's own thing.

That said, I've been looking to them less. As with all the new game reveals they've made at E3, it just continues to be the same old stuff. Over and over. So, my view on them has dampened quite a bit following this E3, but, still love 'em!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
See the problem is that Zelda is delicious fun while most of Nintendo's other IPs are either dead or the type of game where it's "pickup and play". 2D games in general - Kirby, NSMB/SM3D, Donkey Kong - are the kind where I'll play a couple levels then turn the system off, but I dedicate a lot more time to Zelda. IDK I'm the type of gamer who doesn't really seek out the titles that last you a couple minutes before they become monotonous. :I

So yeah, I only look to Nintendo for Zelda, but they tend to have things that do catch my eye.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I like most of nintendo's games so not relly. Most of my freinds who ay mostly X box or ps3 only seem to know mario :/.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Zelda isn't all that popular. It's best selling games only have a measly 7m. I'd say Pokemon and Mario dominate everything else.

Salem

SICK
You know, darkestlink's post confused me, but it then just hit me, this is a forum for Zelda, of course we will look to Nintendo for Zelda.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Zelda is the only reason I look to Nintendo. That's because I don't really care about anything else in the gaming world. I'll play other games like Monster Hunter for example, but the main thing I care about is Zelda. That's the only thing I want to hear about. I don't care about Mario, Metroid, or anything else from Nintendo, and I don't really care about what Sony or Microsoft or any other gaming company brings to the table. Zelda is the main thing I'm interested in. Zelda is what I look to the gaming world in general for, so naturally it's what I look to Nintendo, the people developing it, for.

Salem

SICK
Me personally, I play most of Nintendo franchises new instalments on every console. I'm a Nintendo fan all the way.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Ocarina of Time was my first video game ever, and I was raised on the Zelda series. You could say that it is my best friend of gaming, in a way. It is my favourite video game franchise.

That being said, it does not mean that I only turn to Nintendo for Zelda. Nintendo has plenty of other games--Mario and Pokemon, for example--that I love as well, and those games all appeal to me equally, if not more than Zelda. I like Pokemon Emerald more than any Zelda game, but I like Zelda as a series more. When I think of people being drawn to Nintendo solely because of Zelda, Then I think of the people that pretty much only play Zelda. I have a lot of variety with the games that I like, even Nintendo games. Only two Zelda games would be in my top favourite games of all time, even though it is my favourite series. Let's say that Nintendo ditched Zelda. Would I still go to them to play games? Of course I would. Zelda will always have a place in my heart, but it is not the only reason I look to Nintendo, and probably never will be.

DarkLink17

Well then
While I still enjoy the Mario, Starfox, and other Nintendo titles, I really just care about Zelda. The only reason I ever even play mario is with family, since I'm the only Zelda fan in meh whole family. As stated before, mario is surviving on remakes while Zelda is always fresh.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Absolutely not. Nintendo has a great line-up of franchises. I just wish they would remember this. You have that all-but-forgotten F-Zero and Star Fox. Then there's Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. These are all A+ franchises. I can't wait for more greatness from Nintendo, and I'm sure they'll be developing great games long after other developers have faded away.

Also, Capcom is the only other developer I have any particular affinity for. Their work on RE and Zelda and Ace Attorney shows a wide variety of great developing skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom