• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Do You Miss The Magically Magical Magic Meter?

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Hello few Zelda Dungeoners. Don't you just love my title for this thread? Anyways... Lets get down to business (to defeat the Huns).

Well I really, really, miss it. It's been in every game since The Adventure Of Link. It could have been used in some of the more recent games like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword

Everybody known that on the back of the Twilight Princess case it has the magic meter, which was scrapped. Judging by the picture, you could have gotten it in the Temple Of Time, or maybe before it. The Dominion Rod would make a good magic item. Same as the Magic Armor. I believe that when they had the Magic Meter, the Magic Armor drain your Magic Mete the more you use it. When they got rid of the Magic Meter, they probably kept the name "Magic Armor" because changing the name to "Rupee Armor" to match what it does just sounds stupid. "You got the Rupee Armor! To bad it originally used Magic. Looks like Miyamoto is missing with your mind. The more you think about it, the more confused you get." Also at one time, they probably had the awesome Fire, Ice, and Light Arrows. I think the same would have gone with some of Link's attacks, like the Spin Attack. Same as those Hidden Skill. They would drain your Magic Meter just like the Ether, Quake, and Bombos Medallion in A Link To The Past do.

In Skyward Sword, a few items could actually be Magical. The Sailcloth is kind of like the Deku Leaf from The Wind Waker. Even though you can't fly the Sailcloth, you can land safely with it just like you can in The Wind Waker. If they had the Magic Meter, then you could also have gotten the Fire, Ice, and Light arrows from some Great Fairies, but only after you upgrade to the Sacred Bow - every time you would enter the Great Fairy Fountain before getting the Sacred Bow, the Great Fairies would say some close to "come back when you are ready." Not to mention the Skyward Strike! Would it change how you used it if it used Magic? Same as some of Link's attacks, like the Spin Attack.

What do you guys think. May if enough Zelda fans want a Magic Meter, Nintendo will include it in their next installment.

Last edited:

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
First of all *Huns(not Hunts)

Second... I dont even know where to begin here.... So Ill go with the Skyward Strike, its called that because you charge it by pointing at the sky, which as far as I know is relative to the goddess. So it wouldnt really have BEEN the Skyward Strike if you could use it willy nilly with a magic meter. Then it might as well just have been the same as being able to shoot a power strike from your sword when your health is full.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
So Ill go with the Skyward Strike, its called that because you charge it by pointing at the sky, which as far as I know is relative to the goddess. So it wouldnt really have BEEN the Skyward Strike if you could use it willy nilly with a magic meter. Then it might as well just have been the same as being able to shoot a power strike from your sword when your health is full.

You do have a good point. I guess I didn't think about that one.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I am literally Mindblown by the title #4M's...

Anyway I would like to see the magic metre make a return as the last game that we saw the "Magically Magical Magic Metre" was nearly 10 years ago in The Wind Waker. So I do kind of miss it in a way as it certainly added a new aspect of powers and a variety of different uses, for example with the usage of Ice and Fire arrows it makes for some neat puzzle solving.

Even though the magic metre added to the Zelda games it appeared in, it was never fully utilised and in my opinion if does make a return Nintendo need to make it more useful. Maybe have more elemental variation's of weapons as well as more magical abilities, expanding on the likes of Dins Fire we seen in OoT. If Nintendo put enough effort on improving the use of magic we could see it become a big part of the game like it was in the 2D era...Especially in AoL and AlttP.

Last edited:

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
They kind of replaced the magic meter in a sense with the Stamina gauge in SS. Just a thought. But i honestly thought it was as annoying as the gauge in SS. But that's just me

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
I am literally Mindblown by the title #4M's...

Anyway I would like to see the magic metre make a return as the last game that we saw the "Magically Magical Magic Metre" was nearly 10 years ago in The Wind Waker. So I do kind of miss it in a way as it certainly addeda new aspect of powers and a variety of different uses, for example with the usage of Ice and Fire arrows it makes for some neat puzzle solving.

Even though the magic metre added to the Zelda games it appeared in, it was never fully utilised and in my opinion if does make a return Nintendo need to make it more useful. Maybe have more elemental variation's of weapons as well as more magical abilities, expanding on the likes of Dins Fire we seen in OoT. If Nintendo put enough effort on improving the use of magic we could see it become a big part of the game like it was in the 2D era...Especially in AoL and AlttP.

Originally I was going to have the title just say "Magical Magic Meter" but that seemed like not enough M's. I can't believe that it's been 10 years since The Wind Water was released, actually 10 years coming in about a month. If the Magic Meter isn't in the Zelda Wii U or Zelda Wii U #2 (not counting The Wind Waker remake), then it's probably died an epic and nobel death in The Wind Waker.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I want it back. I'm not a big fan of the Stamina meter. It was good, but like Wolf link it shouldn't return. The Magic Meter is a superior system. It adds a lot of fun and challenge to the game. I miss all of the things you could do with it. The spinning magic and magic eye are some of the best game play elements. Some of the best puzzles emerge from them. I want it back.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Well, I don't feel as nostalgic about the Magic Meter as most people seem to be. I got into those games later. However, it was a usefulish mechanic that I definitely agree should be reused.

However, I don't agree with this:
I think the same would have gone with some of Link's attacks, like the Spin Attack. Same as those Hidden Skill. They would drain your Magic Meter just like the Ether, Quake, and Bombos Medallion in A Link To The Past do.
I would've found it a real pain if those epic skills used up Magic. It would've made the fights a lot less epic.
In other news, even though the Magic Meter was removed, it is still possible to gain the Legendary GREEN CHU JELLY!TM

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes, I miss the magic meter. While it wasn't really integrated the best in most games, I found it had the most ingenuity possible in Majora's Mask which was the figurative height of classic Zelda.

People argue against the meter's return citing its lackluster appearances in previous games, but it isn't something that is bound to a cyclical route of badness followed by badness (cough motion controls). Just like mineral farming, farming in generall...heck even grinding, the magic usage in games can be vastly improved, refined, and just made fun. I'd love to see the thing return someday! Hopefully in Z3DS! <3

EDIT: I don't like the mechanical direction the series is going! It makes the games horribly simplistic! D:

I'm not too fussed about magic coming back, for me it just felt as if it limited a lot of items, (i know we couldnt have used these items at all without it but..) im not adversed to it coing back either though because the items we used with magic were fun luxuries like ice and fire arrows, so yeah bring it back, make the puzzles fun and let us torture our enemies when we're bored =]

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
I don't like the mechanical direction the series is going! It makes the games horribly simplistic! D:

I kind of agree with you. In Ocarina and Majora's, it felt like you were in the Middle Ages or the Renaissance. Now every once in a while, a mechanical item or dungeon is okay. Just look at the Great Bay Temple. It's mechanics are far more advanced than todays mechanics. This shows that the Zelda series lacks technology in future timeline games.

In Skyward Sword, you had the Mining Factory, which was 95% mechanics. Skyward takes place before Ocarina. In Ocarina, the most mechanical thing there is happens to be the Hookshot. So what, was there some failure in the technology within the few hundred year gap in the timeline?

Keeseman

Smash is Life
The magically magical magic meter (love that title, btw) didn't do so well in most of the games it was in, especially OoT. It did a decent job in aLttP, and it was very well done in MM, especially how it integrated with each race.

I have noticed, though, while playing SS, that Nintendo may be wanting to return to some of the enginuity that they used in MM (seeing how the save system was similar, and there was the toilet hand and all). So if Nintendo were to bring back the MMMM (I'm gonna abbreviate it as that from now on), they could do a very good job with it.

So do I miss it? A bit. I wouldn't be devastated if it never comes back, but I think Nintendo could do a good job with it, if they tried hard enough.

No I don't miss the magic meter. I hardly ever used magic in any of the Zelda games that had the magic meter. Personally I don't really care if the magic meter comes back or not, but if it does then I hope that it actually has a use throughout the game.

The only game that used the magic meter well was AOL.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I miss the magic meter as much as I miss non-redundant titles that aren't redundant!
(jk but seriously 90% of the reason I bothered to post was to say that lol)

More seriously though, I don't so much miss the magic meter as I miss having spells. Being able to make fire explode around me ala Din's Fire was great. Having a magic meter act as stamina in the form of say, the Deku Leaf was underwhelming. I just want spells, screw all those extra meters I have to worry about keeping full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom