• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you mind when story elements are locked behind a DLC paywall?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
This is something that I've had on my mind on and off since buying BotW's DLC, but what do you think of when extra aspects of a game's story are locked behind a DLC paywall, like the extra memories of the Champions' Ballad? Honestly, I really dislike when companies pull stuff like that, when the DLC contains elements related to the main story. Side stories I don't mind, since they're not essential to fully understand the main plot, but if the DLC is directly related to the story of the main game, I don't think I should have to buy it to complete what should have been in the original game in the first place.

Fire Emblem: Fates pulled something like this as well, since you wouldn't get the full experience (why would you want to) unless you bought the other routes separately as DLC content. Thankfully, Three Houses didn't follow this model, instead choosing to have all four routes in one release, and only releasing the optional side story DLC later.

What do you think about this? Do you think that it's wrong for companies to put content relating to the main story in DLC, or do you not mind either way?

I dislike it a lot.

It's always nice to have something more, but as someone who didn't have stable net until recently, I had to miss out on a lot of DLC that would have added a lot to games I enjoyed.

I'm someone who plays games for their story, so it sucks to have to pay more for it.

If the additional content is like an addendum and doesn't gimp the main experience in order to exist then I'm sort of okay with that.

A really good example of bad DLC practice is FFXV. Where it feels as if large chunks of the story were purposefully ripped out just to sell back to you later.

It's very jarring when you lose party memebers because they've gone off on their own little character building adventure that you won't be privvy to.

Tales of Zestiria did this too and the backlash was so severe that Bamco made the DLC free for a while. Luckily they haven't done it since, though there has only been one game since...

But yeah. I don't like it. I believe in compete products being sold. If DLC needs to be a thing, I'd rather it be additional modes or cosmetic, something where I don't feel as if I'm missing out on a part of the core experience.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I hate it im like i brought the game i dont wanna pay more for the story, if its like a new outfit that dont really do owt then ok but i aint necessarily buying it...

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I hate it if it was preplaned like the games that release with only half the game so that they can sell the rest of it. But if it's an idea that came as production was wrapping up then I am ok with it, but only if the game is a full complete experience.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I mean, generally I would prefer for anything story-related to be included in the game to begin with, or be added through free updates. If there's going to be story elements included in the DLC, then I would hope it's just supplemental, where you're able to enjoy and understand the story without requiring the DLC. It's when you basically need to buy the DLC in order to get the entire story that I have a huge problem with, and would question why you'd even bother buying the game in the first place (Final Fantasy VX being the big offender that comes to mind).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom