• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you look up the translations of foreign language songs you don't understand?

Many of us listen to music with lyrics that aren't in our native languages.

I personally listen to a lot of Japanese rock and metal and I can't understand a word of it because I don't speak Japanese.

But sometimes, when I really like a song I'll try and hunt out some translated lyrics to find out what the song is about to help me understand the emotion behind the music better.

Do you ever do this, have you ever felt compelled to look up foreign language song lyrics?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I do most recently for simple plans jet lag didnt know it had a touch of french in it...

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I listen to a ton of J-rock too, and I cannot understand most of it. There are a handful of words I do understand (you can thank all my anime-watching for that) but not enough that I'd be able to figure out an entire line of lyrics. As for whether I bother to look them up or not, I don't. I don't really care about the meaning of lyrics, what matters to me is how they sound. If I like how it sounds, that's all I need. So, singing voice is way more important to me than what's actually being sung.

Do you look up the translations of foreign language songs you don't understand?
Nope.

One album I like that is not in English.

HaNitXt.jpg

It's 2 CDs. The first is the album in Italian. The second is the album in English. Because the 2nd CD is only an after thought,it sounds just off. Weird. It's not bad, it's just songs designed to sound good in Italian. So they sound terrible in English. I've listened to the first CD many times and the second CD once I think. I don't know what some of the song lyrics are and I'm not bothered to play the second CD to find out. I don't care. The first CD is just too good for me to bother.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I usually do, yeah. Both to familiarize myself with the meaning of the characters/words used, but also just to know what the song means if the title isn't a strong enough indicator.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I don't typically look up the English words to songs unless I want to be able to sing them. I don't really feel comfortable trying to sing the original language if I'm gonna butcher it lol. I recently memorized the English lyrics to the song Kickback for example (from chainsaw man) just to be able to sing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom