• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Like Your Parent(s)/Legal Guardian(s)?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yes, I like my parents a lot. Sure, they were very strict on me when I was younger, but I think that was for the better, and I'm kind of happy that they did that now. They're not as strict on me anymore because I have learned the difference between what is important in life and what can wait, and that was all due to them. They have set me on the right path for success in life, and I am very grateful.

Though my parents can get bossy at times saying stuff like "don't you talk back to me", we usually forget it pretty quickly and move on. I realize that as long as I am depending on them for shelter and food, they do have control over what I can and can't do, and that's just something I have to accept. I couldn't be happier that my parents are not making me pay for my college tuition, or asking me to move out as soon as I turned 18.

So yes, I like them a lot.

Sometimes I love my mom, but at the same time I hate her. She annoys the **** out of me concerning things like not letting me take care of myself or if I did anything wrong even though it's a minor thing. Overall, I do respect my mom. It's just that she won't let me have any freedom despite being almost 30.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
I live with my grandmother and, sure, I like her. No, not love, for that would be an overstatement. She does not physically harm me, which is great, but my granny hasn't done too much for me on the emotional side.

I would not consider her supportive, grateful, or really all that sympathetic. grandmother has rarely ever backs me up on anything I do. Whatever I say, it is somehow incorrect, even for scientifically proven facts. If I make us lunch, she gets servings by the spoonfuls, microwaves a pot pie, and the chef gets nothing more than a, "Tasted good." When something is frustrating me due to difficulty, like getting the proportions wrong in a portrait, my grandma tells me to give up because nobody's perfect. I know I could be in a worse situation, but I have had mental breakdowns from what she does *not* do for me. This probably sounds like crying over spilled milk, so I will end this here.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I love my mum! She's an amazing person for everything she did for the family. Me and my brothers have 2 different dads; my 2 oldest brother's dad was killed in a car accident a long time ago, although from what I know he was a really nice guy and did a lot for the family. The rest of us have a dad who walked out on us so I don't really like him. Never really spoken to him bar on a few occasions but he's not a very nice person, he used to beat everyone until my oldest brother Andrew stood up to him and threw him out of our house with a broken jaw, and that's really the last I saw of him. He was just a bully and would hit me sometimes, but my brothers bore the brunt till they out-grew him. He only comes to see me sometimes and usually just asks for money, I don't like him coming round to my house unless my boyfriend's there.

I have a step-dad though and I love him! Always there for me. I was raised mostly by my mum and brother but I've known him for quite a few years now and I wuv him.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Do I love my parents? Absolutely. They gave me a good life and they never pressure me to be perfect. Their motto is to "try your best", even if 'my best' isn't anything remarkable. If given the choice, I wouldn't trade them for anyone else. Sure, my dad tends to think he's always right, and my mom can get naggy, but for the most part we get along. We have the same sense of humor, the same values, and we generally talk with the same tone. We may not always agree with each other and we certainly have our differences, but I'm more than a little glad I was born into the family I was.

bunny

birb overlord
I love both of my parents very much. My relationship with my mom can be rough at times, and although I honestly feel she is very arrogant at times, I know she doesn't mean any harm... For the most part we get along great. I'd like to think I'm extremely close with my dad, though. I've always been close to him, not just because I'm daddy's girl, but because he just has a very warm and bright personality. I am perfectly comfortable sharing my deepest thoughts with my dad, however that's not the case with my mom. I've tried talking to her about personal issues in the past and it's never worked out well, so I've abandoned that completely.

All in all, I couldn't ask for more. My parents rarely fight (maybe once every 2 years which is amazing), they more than take care of my siblings and me, and they do love all 3 of us very much. I'm sure as I grow up and mature my mom and I will get along better.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
If I were younger and in my immature/irrational days of youth I'd probably say my parents are annoying and I wouldn't want to be around them. But, having been through quite a bit in my short time here on Earth I have been more able to rationalize things and be mature about it. So I'd say I love my parents quite a lot. Both my parents tend to point out the obvious, and they kind of treat me like I have no idea what I'm doing, but you have to appreciate that they do care about me and they just want to make sure I don't mess up, because I've done it before. And I realize my parents care very much about me, and I am very grateful for all they do, even though they may be annoying at sometimes, you can't avoid that with anyone, ever. So I love my parents very very much. <3

Do I like my parents? Well, that depends on how one defines "like."

My parents divorced 23 years ago right after my brother and I were born. They moved to two separate states on opposite ends of the country. I spent most of my childhood living with both my mom and dad on and off, but I spent a whopping five years living exclusively with my dad. Now, I am not going to go into details here, but during that time, my dad drank a lot. He also had massive anger issues, and he'd hit my brothers and I whenever he got wasted, too, and he had lots of jealous, thieving girlfriends. He once had lots of money, before the excessive alcoholism and chain smoking set in, but he basically never shared it with us. I guess you could say I got along well with my dad when he wasn't drunk. Sober, he was extremely intelligent, resourceful, rough and tumble, and artistic, but his dark [drunk] side obfuscated those positive attributes. The last straw came back in 2001 when he didn't even show up at my sister's funeral—we offered to pay for his plane ticket and everything; that got rid of any bit of respect I had left for that man. He died from throat cancer a couple years back—all alone and forlorn—and I know it isn't right, but he got what he deserved. Good riddance.

My mom and I get along better from a distance. You see, when we're together our personalities clash, deepening the rift she and I developed over the years. My mom is—for lack of a better word—a close-minded, old-fashioned religion fanatic, so it should be obvious as to why she and I don't get along very well. Although I've never outright told her I'm an atheist, she suspects that I'm a Satanist, due to instances of my outright challenging her beliefs (yes, her definition of atheism is askewed). Due to her upbringing, she's also kind of a racist, which is ironic considering my dad is 'not white'; this fact is frowned upon by her side of the family who's racist af (she's seen as 'a rebel' for marrying my dad'). She questions everything that I do; she thinks I'm gay because I don't care about dating [girls] and such, and she keeps nagging me about grandchildren, as if she doesn't have enough already. It's just, she and I have nothing and common (and to think my dad used to tell me how much I'm just like her 9_9...puh-lease...). Then again, you could say I don't care too much for anyone on my mom's side of the family, so there...

So yeah, I do not like my parents. Anyone wanna trade?

I sort of loathe my parents, and I have valid reasoning for it. I mean, I love them, because they're my parents and give me a roof to live under. I just think that it's unfair the way I'm treated. I believe that I was actually a mistake. But they have never supported me or helped me with anything which has left me virtually crippled in today's world with no motivation due to no self esteem.

I could elaborate, but I'd really rather not at this point.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Do I like my parents? Well I hated my dad. My parents had a very bad and poor marriage and got divorced when I was 12 years old. My dad committed suicide when I was 16. My father was a very hard man who left no chance to yell and beat me and some of my siblings up like all the time. They say that you should talk nothing but good about the death but that means that I would have to lie. Not good either eh?
What can I say about my mom? She was very irresponsible. Which mom allows her kids at the age of 6 or 7 to travel in a big city alone around 10pm at night??? Which mother takes her kid to school at the age of 4 in the center of a small village and after 4 days let them go alone from home to school and vice verse when there is a railroad track in the center of that village?? Which mom allows her kids to travel to another city like 6 kilometers away from home to have swimming lessons all alone in winter time in the dark on a road with no streetlights at all? Yes I sound overdramatic but it is the truth. She never once encouraged me to continue studying. I wish she would have but she never did. At the age of 15 I had to stay awake till 2am in the morning because my mom was going out with a friend and I had to get up early the next morning. I was more concerned about her coming home safely at that time than she was about me when I had to travel by bicycle from one town to another at night. My mom also had the very nasty habit of calling us names. She was always right and we were wrong and when we were telling her she was wrong she always told us that we would end up in hell because we dared to doubt her. She always played the guild trick. All my siblings left home early one by one and I understand why. And I don't blame them but what I do blame them and especially my older sister is that she never ever looked back and left me alone in the time I needed an older sister the most.
So my mind about my mother is a bit torn. Do I love her? Of course I do. But if you ask me if she was a good guard or role model to me I have to say absolutely not.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I like my mum. Of course we always have our ups and downs. She can be quite a frustrating person to deal with, she has quite a short temper and takes everything personally, even when it was just stupid teenage **** like coming home late from school because I'd stopped to talk to a friend and she'd get all "omg you're so selfish you should come straight home it's just your stupid friend what if I got worried". Now I'm older though, I realise that a lot of that stuff (this stuff, even, because even though I'm an adult I live at home so I still get it a bit) is a product of the things that my older siblings got up to. My sister ran away from home when she was 14, for example, and I think that led to some trust issues despite the fact I am literally the total opposite of my sister. Is it always fair? No. But nowadays I think most of our issues stem from the fact we're very similar people. I'm bull-headed and stubborn, and so is she. Neither of us accepts being wrong about anything so sometimes we clash. However, I do like my mum. She is a thoughtful and strong person who I admire a lot. She always supports my decisions and I can talk to her about anything.

As for my dad, it's difficult. My parent's split up when my mum was pregnant and some of the stuff that happened I only vaguely know about- he can be violent and he is pretty much a compulsive liar about even the dumbest stuff. He tried to deny I was his despite the fact when I was a baby I was the image of him. He used to walk past us in the street without acknowledging us because he lived 5 minutes away. So, I never really had a dad. I never knew who he was really, other than his name and whatever. My mum never bad mouthed him to me, or stopped him seeing me, both of which he has claimed since I've met him, two years ago now. He will never know me. Not the way a parent should- he wasn't there for any of the stuff I went through as a kid (a lot of stuff). He doesn't understand me or how I handle things and now and this annoys me. I don't hate him or whatever for what he did, but I hate when he tries to act like he's this great dad and he has no real idea who I am. I get on with him and whatever, but I wouldn't say I like him. I'll never be able to respect him, that's the problem.

** I should add I have a different dad to my brothers and sisters, just to be clear.

It's funny because recently my cousin (who lives in California) announced she's divorcing her husband because he's always working and is hardly around to see their daughter. I got mega pissed off because he earns good money, and he works in Hollywood so it's not regular. He might have 6 months of constant work and then like a year of nothing at all. They moved out there to have this whole lifestyle which he funds for them both pretty much as she is studying for her masters. They own several properties along the Huntington Beach, Venice Beach and Malibu line and live much more comfortably than the rest of her entire family. He is good to her and the daughter and they've been together for a long time now. And yes, he works a lot but he's away for good reasons in my opinion. My own dad wasn't there because he was too irresponsible and selfish, and I know other people with dad's they never saw because they couldn't walk past a pub without going in or because they're in prison or they saw their dad beating their mum's up and whatever other ****ed up ****. I just don't see why they're throwing something away on when there's loads to be worked on. Idk. I suppose the grass is always greener.

Last edited:

Hsien Ko

Thread murderer
I'm going to be honest on this, as a small child I didn't know that I loved or hate my mother or my father. I was a bit of a empty shell when growing, every time I tell my self that I just want to get along and get no problems, just stay out of trouble and I hope that I'm not much of a bother. Up till now that I kind of have a mother and daughter time from time to time but I still feel a bit empty inside myself. I'm not heartless person with my mother though, if something happens with her I worry a lot.

As for my father, eh, just eh, my mother divorce him before I was born. I kept going with him during with summer vacation but he's hardly ever in the house, but when he tries to bond with my sister and me it just doesn't work. All he does is just complain that we're not young mature children. As in right now, I barely speak to him. It feels weird and I don't want that type of conflict.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Of course I love them. They spend time taking care of me, they are patient with me, and they give me all sorts of things, like a house to live in and a bed to sleep in. It hurts to see that some people don't like their parents when they have been spending this entire time trying their best to take care of you.

Don't you realize that you have a computer to get onto ZD with because of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom