• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Like Your Parent(s)/Legal Guardian(s)?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
A stupid question to some, and a hard-to-answer question to others: do you really like your parent(s)/legal guardian(s)? We all go through a phase in our lives where we may say that we hate them, but do we really? Is it truly just a phase, or is it something more? Discuss.

My response:

As a teenager, I have a love/hate relationship with both of my parents. I don't necessarily have a strong dislike for my parents, but I don't love so much that I would, persay, die for them in a heartbeat. It sounds a little harsh, but they're just not the best that they could be (in my opinion). As an only child I feel suffocated, yet not suffocated enough. My dad virtually smothers me with his love/emotions, while my mom doesn't seem to do that enough. It's a complex relationship we all have, but we're not broken, just bent.

Dan

OH MY GOD I HATE MY PARENTS THEY WONT BUY ME THE NEW IPHONE 7 AND THEY LOVE MY OTHER SIBLING MORE THAN ME COS THEY BUY THEM MORE STUFF AND THEY ARE JUST SO ANNOYING AND TRY AND GET TOO INVOLVED WITH MY LIFE TELL ME TO DO HOMEWORK AND STUFF GOD

Joking aside I get on well with my parents, and they have always been rather supportive to me, they have certainly tolerated me well and haven't given up on me, I know some parents certainly would, it's not perfect and there are minor issues but I'd rather not talk about that, it's all good to conclude, I am a ******* my parents never got married, yet they are they still together going strong, I imagine it's easier to raise children when there is two of you, although if the relationship itself isn't going strong it may be harder than say a single parent raising children.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I can honestly say that I do like my parents. They are loose enough to not grill me about my day all the time, but strict enough to know in general where I am. They're mostly very kind and relaxed unless I get in trouble with grades. And, of course, they are embarrassing at times, especially if they do it on purpose, but I bet most parents are like that. As their child, I love them, but as a person, I wouldnt hang out with them as much as I would with my friends. Overalll, they're very good parents and I feel blessed to have them...most of the time.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
I love my parents dearly, but honestly hate their overall attitude and behaviour sometimes, and by that I mean when they bug me about how I should have a girlfriend or should spend less time in the house as it's just really irritating and ignorant that they continue to make such snide remarks. I mean, I'll do these kind of things when I'm ready or want to, it's understandable that they mean the best but they kind of suck at helping me since I don't want or need their help in the first place. Yeah, from what I've come to understand a lot of people have this kind of relationship with their parents though, they just try to force the expectations from their generation onto their children which is really not a wise way to go about things in some cases.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
I think that I really love my parents. I know that they support me in my various endeavors and even when they don't, it is because they have my best interest in mind. However- and I hate to say this- but I feel like my father is a better parent than my mother. While my mother has good intentions, sometimes I feel like she doesnt support me when I make decisions or whenever I confess something, she might go into an "I told you so" rant. My father on the other hand seemed to me to convey more support and encouragement to me, acting with the approraite balance of authority and advisor. He would always reinforce that I was the person who had to ultimately decide what do in a situation, letting me know that I didn't have to follow his advice or suggestions if I didn't want to.

All this aside i don't think I would ask for a better pair of parents.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I really love my parents. I mean we fight and says things that we don't mean, but on the whole, I think they've given me a pretty good life. I've very thankful to have them around.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I say I have a good relationship with my parents or more specifically my "parent" as I don't see my Dad and, quite frankly, I don't care for someone who runs out on my life.

Like I said though, I have a good relationship with my mom and I respect her a lot, even though she doesn't realise it. My mom has had to work hard as a single parent: supporting us, going to university while working a full time job just so we could have a good lifestyle etc. I really respect that, I've had some bad times in my life, but almost all of my good times I've been able to have are because of my mom.

I also respect the way in which she brought me up. A while back, when I was very young, we didn't live in a very nice area and even though we moved to the suburbs, within a nice estate, I still was exposed to some bad stuff. Secondary School was probably the hardest obstacle in my life and my mom gave me a great piece of advice: "it's 5 years, get through it and you've got the rest of your life ahead of you". Now even though I had some bad times in School, mainly turning to bad crowds and mindlessly drinking and hanging round on street corners, I still kept that in my mind and I got through with good grades which set me up in life. There are also some other family members, like my Uncles whom I'm also very thankful for as they helped me a lot and made me a a better person.

My general relationship is kind of odd. It's not like a typical mother-son relationship. Maybe it's because my mom had me when she was young; it's more like a brother-sister relationship. We do tend to clash a lot, but I've matured a lot over the last two years so these incidents tend to be rare now.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I do, and always will, love my parents. No matter what, I always love them. There are certainly times when I honestly believe that I hate them, but in reality, I could never hate them. They piss me off, sometimes make really irrational decisions, and are just overall really mean sometimes (especially my dad), but when it comes down to it, they're the only people that are there every step of my journey. I could never truly hate my parents, no matter how much I think I do.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I love both my parents. I'm the only one of my siblings who was actually both a mommy's girl and a daddy's girl. I've always felt like I could go to them no matter what, and when I told them I wanted to move out at 16 to attend a different high school and get away from my bullies, once they got past their initial reaction and actually thought the situation over, they supported my decision completely. They've always had my back, but at the same time allowed me the opportunity and encouraged me to find my independence. When I realised I was bi, I had no problem telling them.

Me and my mom have only grown closer over the years, and we've realised just how much alike we are. I've taught her to do all kinds of things on the computer, including editing family videos (my mom actually used to be quite the technophobe). She's copied over half my music collection, which contained quite a lot of metal (mom's 63). I've introduced her to a ton of television shows (she always look forward to when I come home at christmas time, because I always have the latest Bones and Castle seasons with me), and currently she's making her way through Stargate SG-1 (and when she saw some Stargate coasters in a store, she told me she wanted them for christmas). I've even gotten her and dad into boardgames, and we can play for hours on end when we first get started. Mom is the person in the family who truly gets me, all my weirdness, hobbies and interests.

I get along well with both of my parents, but they're alcoholic drug-addicts who contribute nothing to society and frankly the world would be a better place if they ****ed off and died. :T

Salem

SICK
My mom is my only living parent, dad died when I was in high school. I loved them both dearly, in fact I think I was too close to them during my childhood.

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Do I love my parents? Of course I do. I couldn't have asked for a better mother or father if I had tried. It was their parenting that led me to become the kind of person I am now, and they sacrificed so much for me and my siblings. I'm eternally grateful for that.

Do I like my parents, though? That's a tougher one to answer, especially for my mother. My father has his moments of racism and bigotry that grind my gears, but other than they he and I share many common interests and really enjoy spending time with one another. My mother, though... I've come to resent so much about her. Sorry if it feels lopsided, but it's kinda hard to avoid when she's the one that just decided to up and leave us for her boyfriend. Add to that the fact that she only ever seems interested in talking to us to satiate her own emotional needs, and it's not hard to see why our relationship's soured since the divorce. [As a mother growing up, she's the best one I could have ever had, but as an individual person she's very manipulative and needy.]

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I do like my parents, but sometimes it's hard. I do like my mom more than my dad, though. My mom has always been on my side, and has always been kind to me and supportive of me. She's always stuck up for me, too. My dad and I, on the other hand, had a rocky relationship growing up. He was almost always yelling at me for one thing or another. Looking back, I did deserve it sometimes. But there were also times when he didn't need to yell. Even though I do see now that I was in the wrong at times, I still feel like he went too far a lot of the time. I've felt he has more conditional love for me and seems to put more expectations on me. He yelled at me just for withdrawing from a single class in my first semester of college, even though the classes I take are my choice, not his. He's always done stuff like that. He's always felt more controlling as a parent, unlike my mother. She's usually there for me and she supported at me when my dad was yelling at me for withdrawing from a class. Her love seems more unconditional and she's always been nicer to me than he has. This is why I get along better with my mother than my father.

My mother does have her challenges, though. She sometimes has racist moments, which really disappoints me. She actually said to me once, "If you ever bring a black girl home, I'll disown you", which made me lose a lot of respect for her. My grandmother can be like that sometimes too, so it may just have been the environment she grew up in. Either way, the racist side of her disgusts me. I always speak up to her about when she shows it, and when I do she doesn't seem to take me very seriously. I really don't like that about her. Even though she can be like that, I still care about her. She's still really nice to me and supportive of me. I still love her. Despite the difficult times I've had in the past with both of my parents, I still love them and care about them very much. It's just kind of hard to like them sometimes.

Regardless of how I feel about both of them, though, I've felt distant from them ( and the rest of my family) for a while now. I do get along with them fairly well these days, but I wouldn't say we're close. I don't have a lot in common with them, and because of that I've begun to feel more and more like a stranger in my own home. I don't talk to them as much as I used to and I don't spend a lot of time around them anymore. I do still like them, I just don't feel as close to them as I used to.

Last edited:

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Do I "like" either of my parents? That's a tough one.

I fight with my dad a lot, but we still are fairly close. However, he tends to repeat himself over and over, despite my acknowledging the first ten times. He is alos nearly impossible to do any work with. He is a controlling perfectionist, and expects me to magically know what he wants done and how to do it without actually being told. He is also consistently inappropriate and immature, calling everything he doesnt know the name of (like small pieces of rubber) a t*t. He also labels my neuroticness about food a "fetish" which is the opposite of the meaning of that word.

Arguably worse is my mom. Overprotective, overbearing, and very controlling. For the longest time I wasn't allowed any technology at all, or any exposure to popular culture, which certainly contributed towards my ostracization from all manners of social groups. She is also highly critical of anyone I socialize with, oftentimes insisting to meet them before she deems to let them talk to me. Because of this, she was (and is) nasty and critical about the people I meet online, and it is for this reason that I have yet to tell her I am in a relationship, for fear of a similar reaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom