• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Like Your Job?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
This one's more for the older folks among us. Do you enjoy doing what you do? I chose my job because I love the work, but I know that not everyone gets the opportunity to do that. So how do you feel about yours?

I work as a special education para, and I love the work very much. I can picture myself doing this for the rest of my life, though perhaps not necessarily in the same school I'm working at now. I do like it where I am, but I miss the place I was working at as a sub before this, too.

How about you guys? Are you happy where you're at, or did you choose your job more out of necessity?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I 100% love it. It's an entry position for my dream job, and a lot of the needed skills fall right into my wheelhouse, stuff like keeping stuff clean and organized, there's some heavy lifting stuff, and of course it's in a mechanic's shop so I get to be around cars all day, and sometimes I'm even called on to help bleed brakes or help get something bolted in or any other random helper task on a car.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I wanted to be a dentist originally and ended up as a podiatrist instead so it's not exactly my dream job. Wrong end of the body for me. But at least I am in the medical field. It can be therapeutic and I like having my own business and clinic + it is satisfying to relieve people's pain and problems. I also like getting paid right away for each job rather than waiting a month for a wage. So I would say I have it good. Probably one of the best all round jobs to have. I work 4 days a week which is much better for mental health and I can take off any time that I want for holidays.

Still I will definitely try to retire or semi retire as soon as I can so I can dedicate more time to things I truly enjoy. I see work as a way to obtain money mainly rather than as something I look forward to.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yes, I absolutely do. I deliver the mail and have all time to myself. No boss standing behind me and yell to hurry up. Lots of contact with the people who appreciate me and always talk to me. I get my daily dose of exercise because I walk a huge lot every day plus I'm always outside and face all kinds of weather so I hardly get sick. Only during the holiday season it's very busy but that's normal

Reactions: Dio

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
i love my job more than i did working in the Caf, yall know i hated the FREAKING CAF!!! but now im back where i belong in the farm shop... so much happier there!!!

NastyLesley

Goth catboy thingy
I rather love my job. It's nothing impressive, I am but a lowly cashier working for minimum wage but it's honest work and it seems every week I come home with a story. My bosses are so incredibly kind and sweet to me, they borderline treat me like I'm their son. They've given me homecooked meals, pastries, clothes, etc. In addition to all that I find myself meeting some mighty interesting characters on the job. Everybody in town comes into our store at one point or another and I'm kept mostly up-to-date on all the things going on in my neck of the woods, things that I'd otherwise be oblivious to.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I'm a musician working in several metal projects, with the possibility of singing in a Viking metal project, depending on how the audition goes.

And I can't imagine myself doing anything else, really. I love creating and writing music, telling a story through the art of song, learning something new on my chosen instrument (guitar), and in practicing for auditioning for this new project, seeing actual progress I'm proud of in singing and vocals is worth it, even if I don't land it.

Like all jobs, careers, and occupations, there's good and bad, but with the right people, music is the most fun and easy job there is. With the right people, ideas just flow out nonstop, you have songs or working ideas aplenty, you can get shows easily, and dependable people can learn to make things happen, like getting in a studio to record your music, setting up shows, and such.

Honestly though, I'd wish all of the projects I'm involved in would stop scheduling everything for Thursday. That means my week is wide open, but Thursday is the day everyone decides they want to practice. That means from 12-8 PM, I'm completely busy and booked full with band practices.

What's wrong with a Friday or Saturday practice? I understand they may not have those days off, but good lord, that just means Thursdays are extremely booked for me.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I'm a musician working in several metal projects, with the possibility of singing in a Viking metal project, depending on how the audition goes.

And I can't imagine myself doing anything else, really. I love creating and writing music, telling a story through the art of song, learning something new on my chosen instrument (guitar), and in practicing for auditioning for this new project, seeing actual progress I'm proud of in singing and vocals is worth it, even if I don't land it.

Like all jobs, careers, and occupations, there's good and bad, but with the right people, music is the most fun and easy job there is. With the right people, ideas just flow out nonstop, you have songs or working ideas aplenty, you can get shows easily, and dependable people can learn to make things happen, like getting in a studio to record your music, setting up shows, and such.

Honestly though, I'd wish all of the projects I'm involved in would stop scheduling everything for Thursday. That means my week is wide open, but Thursday is the day everyone decides they want to practice. That means from 12-8 PM, I'm completely busy and booked full with band practices.

What's wrong with a Friday or Saturday practice? I understand they may not have those days off, but good lord, that just means Thursdays are extremely booked for me.
Have you always been full time music? I feel like you've mentioned working a real job before but I could be wrong

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Have you always been full time music? I feel like you've mentioned working a real job before but I could be wrong
Not always. The more projects I took on, I can afford to pay bills.

But it's not always a guarantee, so I work part-time for my dad in addition, just in case. He understands and is the first to ask where I'm playing, lol.

I also used to teach music and guitar to supplement things as well. I have considered doing that again, but eh, things are fine right now.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Ok yeah this is what I was thinking of, the part time stuff with your dad
It sounds fancy, but direct orders from my mom says, "Make sure he stays out working, and make sure he eats."

Because he's a specific kind of diabetic, not type 1 or 2, but some weird in between, so mom and I basically make sure he does what he's supposed to.

So I'm basically babysitting my dad, lol.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'm alright with my job. I dunno if I'd say I love it.

I'm a boring truck driver. My current job has me literally driving the same route back and forth once a day unless something goes catastrophically wrong. There's nothing exciting about it, but I spend literally all my time listening to audio books and hanging out with friends in Discord. It isn't the sort of job that stimulates you, but it is the sort of job that lets you make full use of an Audible subscription.

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Depends which job. I work part time as a line cook (used to be my full time gig until I cut back my hours to focus on other things). It's OK, not my ideal job by any means and I pretty much only stay as something to fall back on.

My other job is as a freelance musician and music educator, which I adore! I get to teach drums whenever people need a sub and I've done tons of work as a clinician at band camp. In addition, cutting my back my hours at work has given me more freedom to work as a performer whenever opportunities arrive which is great. This past month I've had 2 days a week at my line cook job and 3-4 days of teaching/playing music, so it's been really fun and rewarding!

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
its pretty fine, working in retail can piss you off at times but at the end of the day its generally a pretty easy job if you do what youre supposed to be doing. also the wage is above average for the work and i get along great with my coworkers, everyone is super nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom