• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Like Theater?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
So I took a jaunt to Branson City MO USA with the folks for something that looks like it's starting to become a bit of a Christmas tradition by now. There in Silver Dollar City Theme Park they put on an absolutely FABULOUS Broadway style rendition of It's A Wonderful Life. And I gotta say. I absolutely LOVE IT! It's the second time I've seen it since last year, and I'm even more enamored with it this time that I was when I first saw it. SDC even still puts on a simple little saloon themed revue-style comedy sketch that's been going on since well before my time. It's Christmas themed during the holiday season. It's not the first time I've seen it - I was pretty young the last time I was there - but I even found myself enjoying that!

Not only are these shows jolly good fun, but It's A Wonderful Life even brought me to tears. No, not just a single tear- more like choking back sobs and hoping the lights don't come on so everyone can see what an emotional wreck I am!! It takes a lot to get a hard core raging cynic like yours truly to get all emotional. But that one kicked me right in the feels. I've seen the movie and it just doesn't have the same effect.

The thing is... I don't even like theater. Or at least I never used to. Or perhaps I just never saw any good theater. I've always been very dismissive of it. But there must be something about a good production that makes it better than any motion picture. Something about the actors being right there with you, or the simplicity and ingenuity of the set up and effects and stuff. Or the choreography and expert technique that's required for a live performance that doesn't allow for cuts or retakes.

I know plenty of theater buffs who've seen everything a million times. Cats. Phantom of the Opera. Lion King, etc etc. Everyone else I know either doesn't care or couldn't stand to be dragged out for theater night without getting thoroughly plastered first.

Ever been to Broadway in New York? Seen any memorable theater productions? Or is theater on the Top Ten list of Worst Possible Ways To Spend Your Time? Has anyone ever been in a play before or worked back stage?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I do some theater acting (for my school). So far, I haven't failed to get a lead role, but that's because it's my job (I'm an actor).

Watching is nice, but acting is even better

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
love the theatre. I have a great one in my home city and it often gets the big productions. I have seen many different plays and musicals over the years.

Some of my favourites include The Hobbit, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cats, The Wind In The Willows and The Owl Service.

Most recently I have seen The Play That Goes Wrong which is a comedic one. I very much enjoyed it and then I also saw Around The World In 80 Days from the same production company which was very entertaining also.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I haven't seen very many shows, but I do enjoy them.

The most memorable one for me was when I saw Wicked on Broadway whole on a school trip. It was my first real theatre experience and I absolutely loved it! It was a great show, and it made me want to watch more.

Unfortunately, I'm too busy with school to watch shows nowadays, though I have performed in a few musicals. Not as an actor (though I can act a bit and would love to perform in a musical at some point) but as part of the band. My first one was a couple summers ago when I played drums for a small, non-profit youth musical based on the Paper Bag Princess. It was quite easy, with three shows, simple music, and a $250 honorarium. The most recent one I did was for a production put on by my school's theatre program of Sister Act. I played percussion for the 9 shows for a $1500 honorarium and I had a blast doing It! That show ended about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Musicals are definitely something I would love to do more of in the future.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I do some theater acting (for my school). So far, I haven't failed to get a lead role, but that's because it's my job (I'm an actor).

Watching is nice, but acting is even better

Oi! :fpalm: I'm glad you mentioned it! I totally meant to ask if anyone has ever been in a stage play or backstage in theater before! :sweating::sweat:

I enjoy the theatre. I havent been too many times but it has always been impressive.

Ive seen Woman in Black, An Inspector Calls and Phantom of the Opera.

Phantom was super impressive. The way they made the stage into a lake was incredible. Lots of mechanical savvy-ness going on.

I'd love to see more shows. Les Mis would be a good one.

Reactions: Dio

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I love going to the theatre. I haven't seen many shows just phantom twice and cats but I love the atmosphere and have a looooong list of shows I would like to see in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom