• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch Do You Like the New Link's Awakening Art Style?

Do you like the new art style?

• Yes

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I Love the Chibi toy-like artstyle of the dream world & the Anime-styled artstyle of the real world!!!

DzUjzX0WsAAKTKJ.jpg

Nice comparison photos to show the new artstyle in context.

The remake seems to have the borders of the screen blurred... I wonder why
Probably to keep our focus more on Link and what's closest to him. . .

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Looks fine for a remake. tbh I don't really understand the debate on this, like people are really bothered over the art style of a remake of a decades old GameBoy game?

Isn't the point of buying a remake for the updated graphics? And if those don't look good and aren't faithful, isn't that a bit of a problem?

I have always preferred a rustic art style for Legend of Zelda, so think of titles such as A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess. I enjoy a gritty and realistic art style for LoZ and don't particularly like cel-shaded graphics for that series, but I will also make the case that Link's Awakening also had a rustic art style, and I would have preferred a graphics style in lieu of the 3DS remasters of OoT and MM.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Not necessarily. I'll be buying it in the hopes that the annoyances I have with the game (which were plenty) have been somewhat fixed by modernising. Plenty more fans will be buying it because it's an easier way to play rather than backtracking through consoles. Different people want different things.

Fair enough...though to be honest, I'm not expecting any gameplay improvements given the track record. The only game that really had improved gameplay was tWW HD and that was pretty minor.

Night Owl

~Momentai

I tried to make a comparison between ALBW (top) and Link's Awakening Remake.

The camera appears to be a more horizontal angle in the remake than it is in ALBW. The colors are softer in ALBW and feel less like wet clay or plastic in it than they do in the remake. It feels like they took the DX version sprites and tried to map them directly to 3D HD sprites. The result is harsh clay-looking reality.

I kind of wish they would've translated the game and reused some ALBW assets. The game would look more anime and chibi and less like wet clay. Sometimes staying too true to the source is a bad thing.

You aren't limited by hardware anymore. Please take some artistic license and make the game appear as it would if made on a modern console without the limitations of the gameboy.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I don't mind the graphics, or like the fundemental art direction I should say. I just find the character models being used with it odd. I don't like it.
This was my opinion 6 months ago, and back then I voted no. Since then I've changed my mind, I don't think the characters models are really that bad. I'm going to change my vote to reflect this. I didn't think the character models would grow on me, but they did somehow.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I love me some Nintendo does an adaptation of a real-life art aesthetic in their games.

Crayon with Yoshi's Island
Wool with Yoshi's Woolly World
Cardboard with Yoshi's Crafted World
Clay with Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Pastel in Skyward Sword

and this, which I would kinda consider 'plastic toys' aesthetic, in a way, although not as direct an interpretation as, say, Kirby. I think the result is phenomenal, so I say a big yes from me!

I’m not sure why people think it’s not faithful. It’s actually quite silly to me. The entire point of this art style is to be as faithful as possible. Sure, they could have gone ahead and made Ocarina of Time 3D look more realistic and gritty like Twilight Princess, but they didn’t go that route because it isn’t faithful to Ocarina of Time. Just because a game has a more mature story or undertones doesn’t mean the graphics need to be gritty; Four Swords Adventures literally shows the soul of a murdered child killed by Ganon’s influence and it’s a toon game, and look at Kirby as an entire franchise. I’m super happy this is the direction they took with the remake and I can’t wait to play it.

I don't find the art style appealing, I much prefer the way Cadence of Hyrule managed to update the classic art style. However I've never played Link's Awakening and i'm still pretty hyped for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom