• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch Do You Like the New Link's Awakening Art Style?

Do you like the new art style?

• Yes

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
If you didn’t like Twilight Princess, and if you thought that was super edgy, you shouldn’t. It’s lightning is similar in some places and you can turn into a vampire and what not. Also, it can be very silly at times and you didn’t like the Malo Mart part of TP.

...I was joking. It's rated M and has blood and all that, but I don't think anyone would say Oblivion was edgy, especially given how bright and colorful it is. Likewise, calling this:

images

Dark and edgy is just silly.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
...I was joking. It's rated M and has blood and all that, but I don't think anyone would say Oblivion was edgy, especially given how bright and colorful it is. Likewise, calling this:

images

Dark and edgy is just silly.

That’s like saying that WW had the earth temple, so it can’t be bright and cheery.
Plus the entirety of the fused shadow cutscene is definitely one of the most needlessly edgy things in not just Zelda, but all of gaming.

DarkestLink

That’s like saying that WW had the earth temple, so it can’t be bright and cheery.

But the Earth Temple was cheery and silly. Redeads in OoT were nightmare fuel. In tWW, they're adorable. That's my main problem with the style. OoT, MM, and TP are all generally light hearted games--but they have dark moments and can be dark when the time and place is appropriate. tWW can't. It's always silly and goofy, even if the situation calls for a dark or serious moment. Or there's slapstick or comedy thrown in at inappropriate moments. I think the only exception was during the King's farewell.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
But the Earth Temple was cheery and silly. Redeads in OoT were nightmare fuel. In tWW, they're adorable. That's my main problem with the style. OoT, MM, and TP are all generally light hearted games--but they have dark moments and can be dark when the time and place is appropriate. tWW can't. It's always silly and goofy, even if the situation calls for a dark or serious moment. Or there's slapstick or comedy thrown in at inappropriate moments. I think the only exception was during the King's farewell.

I think you are the only person I’ve ever met who says that. Redeads were legitimately creepy in WW, more so than OoT and MM. Calling the sage cutscenes slapstick is just plain wrong, as with the majority of other cutscenes, the kings introduction, literally every scene with ganondorf, etc. At least WW didn’t make you think a boss was defeated, than immediately replace it with a second stage that consists solely of a bouncing eyeball that dies in one hit as a gag. My problem isn’t that TP is incredibly dark, it’s that it tries way too hard to be dark in some places (fused shadow cutscene) and not dark enough in others(malo mart and the aforementioned boss fight).

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Compared to other games, WW Redeads are cute puppies. The Fused Shadow Cutscenes (don’t know which one you’re talking about) are both important to the story and the lore. Malo Mart is there for comedy relief and it doesn’t stop the overall tone of the game.

It least the redeads in WW have detail. The redeads in OoT just look like trees, even then I’ve seen scarier trees in the Wizard of Oz. The redeads just aren’t scary, especially as adult link, when they can’t even freeze you as easily and are the same exact size as you. They’re even worse in MM, where they start ballet dancing when you just put on a mask REQUIRED to beat the game. The fused shadow cutscene I’m talking about is the one the where light spirit tells you about the triforce and then your best friend stabs you and then drops dead and then 100 of her falls from the sky and then you die. You see what I mean? Yes it’s an important cutscene, but it’s just too much forced edginess. Malo mart is comic relief, fine, but it’s just so out of place. The S.T.A.R. Mini game and it’s tingle rip-off is a much better example of comic relief, if it was just that it would be fine. But no, you have Malo mart, you have the clowns, you have barns bombs, and other things that just don’t fit.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
The masks in MM aren’t required to finish the game....
The Fused Shadow cutscene is more disturbing than edgy. I really don’t know what I’m supposed to say that I didn’t say before. Tbh, I’ve lost interest in this conversation.

The gibdo mask is required to speak to the gibdos, in order to get the mirror shield.

DarkestLink

At least WW didn’t make you think a boss was defeated, than immediately replace it with a second stage that consists solely of a bouncing eyeball that dies in one hit as a gag. My problem isn’t that TP is incredibly dark, it’s that it tries way too hard to be dark in some places (fused shadow cutscene) and not dark enough in others(malo mart and the aforementioned boss fight).

....So your problem is that it isn't one-dimensional and will be light or dark depending on the situation and context.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
....So your problem is that it isn't one-dimensional and will be light or dark depending on the situation and context.

No, my problem is that there is no context in TP that warrants those goofy cutscenes. Remember this is a dimly lit cave with a giant spider were talking about, not Disney World. That and the overall theme of the game is darkness, the game is called TWILIGHT princess for pete sake. When I play a game with that title I expect something darker than ugly looking clowns shooting me out of a canon then giving me a chicken to float back down.

DarkestLink

No, my problem is that there is no context in TP that warrants those goofy cutscenes. Remember this is a dimly lit cave with a giant spider were talking about, not Disney World. That and the overall theme of the game is darkness, the game is called TWILIGHT princess for pete sake. When I play a game with that title I expect something darker than ugly looking clowns shooting me out of a canon then giving me a chicken to float back down.

Well since you brought it up...frankly "Twilight Princess" does sound like the title of the newest Disney movie.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Well I still like it loads better than ALBW, which I think felt too flat. They're going for something like a vibe where it's like a kid built a world made of toys and I think they're achieving that vibe very well. I also like the character models.<3

I would've been mega skeptical to this game if I hadn't played ALBW, because ever since I saw the trailer I've been thinking 'well this is exactly the kind of skepticism I felt prior to ALBW and ALBW turned out excellent too.

The question is that if it ends up looking like the overall best 2d Zelda.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
It's ok. I feel like they could have done more, but I don't hate it. Not a huge fan of the character models though, something just seems off about them. They're disproportionate in some way but I can't figure out it exactly what it is.

Looks fine for a remake. tbh I don't really understand the debate on this, like people are really bothered over the art style of a remake of a decades old GameBoy game? I mean how do you stay true to the original while updating the visuals to Switch level fidelity. I think Nintendo has achieved a good compromise here. In the past Nintendo has made some really questionable art style choices (God awful Toilet Princess character designs and the horrendous Fetus Link in Wind Waker) this one in Link's Awakening seems to be more about practicality than doing any thing groundbreaking or mind-blowing and I think I'm fine with that.

Oh dear, I feel it rather looks like those "HD shaders/textures" packs for Minecraft... not a particularly welcome look for the series...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom