• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Do you like the joke characters?

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Personally I'm not really a fan, guess I'm stuck in just wanting "ultra serious picks" or whatever. I was eligible to get pirahna plant for free but didn't for some reason, but honestly I didn't care enough to try to reach Nintendo support about it, ha.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
I wasn't aware that any character was considered a joke character, I guess that would explain pirahna plant's inclusion though because it seems like a bit of an odd choice. Are there any others you'd consider to be joke characters?

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I wasn't aware that any character was considered a joke character, I guess that would explain pirahna plant's inclusion though because it seems like a bit of an odd choice. Are there any others you'd consider to be joke characters?
I think wii fit trainer was one? I think every game since melee has added at least one "joke" character whose announcement was kind of a jebait

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
jigglypuff and mr. game and watch were joke characters, and I think ROB and wii fit trainer fit that as well
Really, I had no idea. I guess that makes sense, but those are characters I love- I think Smash can be pretty basare in general and that they add to that vibe in a good way.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
jigglypuff and mr. game and watch were joke characters, and I think ROB and wii fit trainer fit that as well
Nah, jigglypuff actually had a legitimate reason to be in smash due to them wanting to cram another character in and deciding it would be easiest to reuse assets. I definitely wouldn’t call her a joke character.

I wouldn’t consider Mr.Game and Watch and R.O.B joke characters either, but I can at least see why some people would think otherwise. They’re more so inclusions that help towards making smash a game about Nintendo and gaming history as opposed to being there as a joke.

And Wii fit trainer.... I got nothing. Yeah she’s very much a joke character. I have no problem with her though as she’s a pretty good representation of the Wii series.

If all of the characters that I think have no reason to be in smash, Piranha plant is easily the least offensive one. He’s a legitimately funny character, and at least he’s from a series people care about.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Nah, jigglypuff actually had a legitimate reason to be in smash due to them wanting to cram another character in and deciding it would be easiest to reuse assets. I definitely wouldn’t call her a joke character.
the original smash roster had a line of nintendo all stars....and then there's jigglypuff
the only big relevance she had was in the anime, and there she was literally a joke character

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
the orignal smash roster had a line of nintendo all stars....and then there's jigglypuff
the only big relevance she had was in the anime, and there she was literally a joke character
Oh no I agree, I think she’s a huge standout. But I wouldn’t call her a joke. She wasn’t put in the game with the intention of being a joke, she was put in because they had a pink ball and wanted to make another character out of it.

the original smash roster had a line of nintendo all stars....and then there's jigglypuff
Wasn't Jigglypuff one of the most popular pokemon in Japan at the time? The only real joke character in all of Smash has been Piranha Plant. Wii Fit was a successful IP and G&W, ROB, and Duck Hunt are all icons of Nintendo's History. Hell, Wii Fit came out almost 15 years ago so I guess Trainer fits in with those three. Piranha Plant was 100% just a "I'll bet no one will expect this" pick whereas the others had some level of significance beyond just being unexpected.

To answer the thread's question: No. The joke of the Piranha Plant from Mario being a character in Smash was not worth it. By the time his reveal trailer is even half over, it's stopped being funny and you've realized that an actual good character could have been in Smash but the resources instead went to a joke that's not amusing.

Ik Steve is an icon of one of the biggest games ever, but he still seems like a joke imo.
Minecraft has such a distinct artstyle that there was no way they could alter it for Smash and still have it be Minecraft. Snake and Joker aren't stylized 100% like their original games which makes them fit in visually with Smash while still being recognizable. I really don't think you could tweak a single detail of Steve without it just not looking like Minecraft anymore. As a result, all the Minecraft content clashes hard with the Smash artstyle.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
To answer the thread's question: No. The joke of the Piranha Plant from Mario being a character in Smash was not worth it. By the time his reveal trailer is even half over, it's stopped being funny and you've realized that an actual good character could have been in Smash but the resources instead went to a joke that's not amusing.
???
"joke" characters are much more than a joke
piranha plant is several people's mains and liked by many more

I think people are missing the definition of "joke" character here

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom