• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Do you like musou games in general?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is a so-called 'musou' game, a game where you wack hordes of enemies as various cool characters.

I've seen a fair few people on message boards being torn on this game because they love BotW but hate musou games, but how do you feel? Are you a fan of this genre, and if you aren't, do you think Age of Calamity could make you one?

I am a Musou fan. Though I admit that many of them are not done all that well. Even the best Musou games, like DQH 1 and 2 as wellas DW8 still have their flaws. HW1 as it stands on Switch is one of the better musou games out there. Koei Tecmo have the chops to make a good musou game and I think they will do a good job. The big question will be what direction they take with it.

Honestly? Not really. Funny moments can happen in Hyrule Warriors with various characters but I prefer strategy and one-to-one combat.
I like Hyrule Warriors but it's mostly fanservice; I wouldn't care about it if Zelda characters weren't in it.
I don't care about any of that though in this new Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity game. IT'S A FREAKIN' PREQUEL TO BOTW!!! The new scenes, story, and characterizations will more than make up for any boredom I experience with the hack-and-slash gameplay.

I've always been a Musou fan, sometimes all I want to do is load up a game that lets me run screaming into a crowd of hundreds of enemies swinging my sword wildly and watching the bodies fly.

It's a simple pleasure and sure it can be repetitive, but I don't get bored easily and I enjoy the power fantasy.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I’ve only ever played HW and FEW, so I can’t speak for the genre as a whole, but I sure did enjoy the gameplay of those two games, at least. The 1 vs 1000 fights are pretty badass and a lot of fun, the music is great, and the combat is pretty satisfying (depending on who I’m playing as). I dunno if I can call myself a fan, but I definitely enjoy it.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
FE Warriors is my main experience with Musou games (although I did try HW Legends; it was okay), and I really loved the smooth gameplay and satisfaction of cutting down hordes of enemies so easily. It's the kind of mindless hack and slash game that I can play for hours on end without getting tired of it. So yeah, I really like Musou games.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'm not a musou fan. I get that it can be a satisfying or cathartic genre for some, but when I just want to destroy hordes of enemies I have Left 4 Dead with the riot mod or Halo on easy. I find those a lot simpler and more satisfying, personally, so I never got into musous on any level. Not to say I think they're bad, necessarily, just that I get what they provide elsewhere in a more enjoyable, to me, form.

AoC almost certainly won't make me a fan of them, either, since it's highly unlikely I'll ever even play it. I sold my Switch years ago and since then there's been nothing compelling enough to tempt me back. AoC hasn't changed my attitude on that.

I'm not a musou fan. I get that it can be a satisfying or cathartic genre for some, but when I just want to destroy hordes of enemies I have Left 4 Dead with the riot mod or Halo on easy. I find those a lot simpler and more satisfying, personally, so I never got into musous on any level. Not to say I think they're bad, necessarily, just that I get what they provide elsewhere in a more enjoyable, to me, form.

AoC almost certainly won't make me a fan of them, either, since it's highly unlikely I'll ever even play it. I sold my Switch years ago and since then there's been nothing compelling enough to tempt me back. AoC hasn't changed my attitude on that.

Are you a fan of the Champions in BOTW? Or Link/Zelda? Cuz that seems like the main things drawing people to the game. That, and being a BOTW fan in general.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Are you a fan of the Champions in BOTW? Or Link/Zelda? Cuz that seems like the main things drawing people to the game. That, and being a BOTW fan in general.
Not really. I stopped playing BotW after ~twenty-five hours because I wasn't enjoying it, and the only Champion I saw was Mipha.

I will also say, even if I'd loved BotW and its characters, that wouldn't draw me to AoC. I'm a gameplay first type, and if the gameplay is something I'm not interested in characters and associations don't matter to me.

Not really. I stopped playing BotW after ~twenty-five hours because I wasn't enjoying it, and the only Champion I saw was Mipha.

I will also say, even if I'd loved BotW and its characters, that wouldn't draw me to AoC. I'm a gameplay first type, and if the gameplay is something I'm not interested in characters and associations don't matter to me.
I understand. Even Miyamoto agrees that gameplay should come first. I didn't care about the Champions either until I got more into the game's main story. You really have to delve into the game to start understanding who these characters were.
Yeah, after you pass the game, collecting Korok Seeds is pretty much all there is to do.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I've only ever played the first Hyrule Warriors and I wasn't very keen on the hack-n-slash gameplay. If this had been another off-shoot game like the original without involvment from Nintendo, I would have passed on it. I'm making an exception for Age of Calamity for the story.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I’m currently looking more forward to the new HW game than I am BotW 2 just because of how much I didn’t enjoy BotW. I’ve had it since launch almost and still have no desire to finish it.

I didn’t know I liked these games until Hyrule Warriors came out on the Switch. That was the first one I’d ever played. As mentioned, I really dislike BotW, and feel like HW was the superior new Zelda game and still prefer it. Since then I’ve played Fire Emblem Warriors, One Piece Warriors 3 (and 4) and Dynasty Warriors 8. Whilst I’ve not enjoyed DW 8 as much as the franchise spinoffs, I’ve considered giving the others a chance. Just waiting for the ones I have easy access to to go on sale.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
Hack-and-slash (or musou) games aren't my favorite genre of games, but I definitely don't mind them every now and then. Honestly, they're basically just like every other game in a sense, where as long as they're done well then I'll enjoy playing them.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
So far I have only played the first game but I am interested in trying out another one. Maybe Fire Emblem or a PlayStation game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom