• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Like Durability on Shields?

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
At the beginning of the game I hated the shield durability, especially when my first wooden shield broke to an octorok in Faron. But now I really like the system. I think it adds a little bit more depth in the game play which I enjoy. I like the fact that there are different shields for varying purposes. Like the metal shield is stronger but is highly affected by electricity or that the wooden shield is low in durability and is destroyed by fire. I haven't got that far into the game so I haven't got the divine or Hylian shield yet. I think that having the different shields and the shield meter is a great idea. The shield meter might also be there to add to the challenge and to the upgrade system, because really if your shield was unbreakable at the beginning of the game, you would have no reason to upgrade it. As for the challenge, I use my shield a lot and that means it takes a beating, so when it breaks I am a little bit screwed, so that adds to the challenge at least for me.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
The shield-break meter is an interesting addition. I personally like the idea, however I think the meter wears down way too fast. You can use the rejuvenating potion to refill the meter though, so that kinda makes up for it. I am a fan of it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I love the durability meter but it doesn't feel like it was pulled off correctly in this game. I mean, it just feels as if it is slightly broken, with some shields taking what, in my opinion, seems to be too much damage (the Iron Shield shouldn't be able to be beaten in as easily as it is – yes iron is malleable but the strikes delivered ingame don't even have a semblance of the physics of what would knock off 1/6th of the shield's meter, let alone the force needed to deliver such damage). With durability of shields comes a need for rupees, and a need for rupees is a great thing to have in a Zelda game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Going back would not be a good idea now. The breaking shield as others have said makes you strategise more. Unless of course they made enemies in the next game that have certain attacks can not be defended against having the current combat system would not work very well. They would also have to reimplement the back slice and things like that to make the combat more interesting. So I'm saying, keep the shield meter for the current combat system.

THEM

Your cows are mine!
I thought the new shields system was great, and it made me really appreciate the Hylian shield once I got it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I really like it. It prevents people from abusing the shield to be invincible (*a-hem* Twilight Princess) and makes the game more realistic. I know that's a common phrase, "more realistic," but this is a case where the it's actually legit. It causes us to keep an eye on our shield's health so that it doesn't break. We have to use the shields with caution rather than just saying, "Ha, I got a shield, suckaz!" I feel that it's a great addition to the series.

jugglaj91

I am me....
I can't really comment. I have upgraded the wooden all the way, only need 2more treasures and my iron will be fully upgraded, and I believe I have everything to make the sacred shield the next best, but not fully upgraded. To be honest I haven't broken a shield yet, but that is mostly because of the way blocking works in this game. You have to actually time it right to parry or else blocking is moot and you take durability damage. Most of the time I don't bother blocking unless almost absolutely necessary. Also, only at the part before first flame, so i still have a ways to go before Hylian becomes an option for me.

onilink17

onilink17
I liked everything about the shield meter plus upgrading gave me something to strive for. I also like the fact that different shields have different elemental weaknesses. I never really used a shield before in any other game before ss but it kinda required one especially in hero mode...it's a life saver! trust me.

everettkagan

Major SS and Oot fan!
Jeez... now that i think about it, i have barely used my wooden or iron shield AT ALL because im scared of it breaking. I like the idea of the shield blocking almost everything in skyward sword, though. My final decision is that the shields should be like the divine shield: they regenerate health over time.(instead of the invincible hylain shield, i like that. ;)

LavaAnon

The Forever Gamer
Personally, I think the durability was a great idea. But I don't really use a shield, I usually dodge. I still think this is an opportunity for Zelda players to learn to not get too attached to using their shield all the time.

B

bluestormz

I never thought this thread would grow this much, it was such a simple thing to ask. I'm flattered.

L

Link89

I love the stamina bar and shield gauge it ads that extra bit of difficulty and freshness to the series and hope it makes a return. I wish there was a way to upgrade your stamina bar like you can with your shields.

L

linkswagmaster

Personally i hate it but it does make to where you have to be more careful about how you use your shield and makes you be more strategic. I think it was a good idea but can be annoying.:cool:

N

NMG

I'm not sure I mean its interesting but i don't even use my shield very much unless I need to in any zelda game for that mater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom