• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Like Durability on Shields?

B

bluestormz

Talked to a big Zelda fan tonight, not a fan of shields breaking or the stamina bar. Personally I think having the shield break is somewhat annoying.

M

Major

I liked stamina meter but hated the shield durability meter. Plus you had no reason to upgrade any but the Sacred Shield.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I really like the new shield meter. I agree that having your shield being broken is annoying but it makes the game more challenging and realistic. I hope they keep it in future games. I really love the stamina meter. It'll feel wierd playing the older Zelda games and not having the stamina addition.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I'm really enjoying the stamina meter so far, mainly because it makes the game more realistic and opens up the options of Link running and climbing vines or ladders faster. I'm finding the shield meter good as well, not just because it's realistic, but also because it adds depth to the combat; you can't block attacks too much or else your shield breaks. For that reason, I find I'm dodging enemy attacks more than in previous Zeldas.

Djinn

and Tonic
I'm a little torn on the shield situation in this game. I think it was nice before when you never had to worry about the shield or constantly feed rupees into it just to have one around. But the shield durability meter in this game does add a good element of realism. Although for a lot of things in games I like to forgo realism. Like games that require you to feed your character, it always seems like it is needlessly tacked on.

However I do like the extra variety in shields you get in SS and all the separate designs and abilities they have. That alone does add a lot to the game since before you only had the beginning shield and then the other shield you would get and never think about for the rest of the game. Some did have a mirror version that you gained at the very end but that is not often the norm.

I can also see why the shield meter was added to this game though, the normal totally indestructible shield would make things way too easy in this game. You could just hold it up forever and then strike away when you need. The destructible shields force you to be a little more proactive in fights. So I think I would have to say in motion control games where direct 1:1 fighting is the method of combat, then I like the shield meter. In older games where it is just another button pusher the same indestructible shields are good.

I think it's kind of annoying. Realistic, yes, but still annoying. I rarely ever use my shield anyway, so I'm not too upset about it. I like the variety of shields in Skyward Sword, though; that's a positive result of the new shield gameplay.

A

AkiraAra

To be honest, and don't call me full of myself, because I assure you I am not, none of my shields ever broke. They took 1, maybe 2 hits at the max, but never broke. Then, just before I went up against the final boss "Demise", I went to get the INVINCIBLE, and yes, it literally is invincible, I tested it, Hylian Shield. It probably saved my life in the final battle. It's a must have for anyone who is struggling with the game or just doesn't like the durability of shields. But back on topic, I don't like it, but I don't hate it either. It really didn't affect my gameplay that much apart from using the Mystic (Goddess) Shield and staring at the bar in the middle of a battle screaming "HOLY HELL IT FIXED ITSELF. AWESOME." So yeah, I guess my stance in this whole thing is kind of moot.

Starting Hero mode. Bring it on.

G

gamerguy20097

I like it. Means I can't always rely on the shield and makes the fights more intense although for me this only applies in boss fights; If I lose the shield I'll have to avoid hits rather then block them.

A

AkiraAra

good input from everyone. I'm a newbie of course.

Hahah. Well "newbie", good luck getting used to the controls. I've been playing LoZ since I can't remember when, but then again, that may be why I had such a tough time with the controls.

Ganondork

goo
Personally, I am an enormous fan of both meters. I think that both present a decent challenge for players that the Zelda series never really offered previously. Skyward Sword is definitely made better by these two items; not only does it make it more realistic, but it also adds a bit more challenge to the game itself. Normally Zelda just utilizes puzzles, but now you have to keep more than just the area around you in mind. Aside from just that, it adds more necessity to your wallet. Before, you bought a lot until the middle of the game, but in Skyward Sword, you may have to fix your shield constantly, adding more use to each precious rupee you collect.

Now, the shield meter was never really that big of a problem for me. I've never really used the shield constantly because I normally play more of the offensive role than defensive, and this is the same in every single game I play. The shield's durability even at its weakest form was fine for me, but I still constantly upgrade them just to get maximum use out of my shields. I think the closest to breaking my shield had ever been was about halfway when I tried to shield bash Ghirahim, but instead just blocked his attack. I feel the shield is an important item, but I doubt I'm ever going to truly need it desperately like I see in some gameplay videos. Besides, once you receive the sacred shield (or the Hylian shield) it's quite difficult to break them - breaking the Hylian shield is impossible - because the sacred shields just regenerate. And now that I think about it, the Hylian Shield doesn't break in Skyward Sword, exactly like it doesn't in all the other Zelda games. Exactly like in Skyward Sword, the wooden shields can break, but only when it's being heated. I can only guess that the Hylian Shield has some magic or the Goddess's blessing that make it indestructible.

Definitely I used the stamina meter a lot more than the shield meter - it was required. It's a lot easier to run out of stamina than it is to break your shield, but that's to be expected. I've never really had much of a problem with the stamina meter per se, I've just squandered it and drown in the quicksand, or run straight into enemy territory and then run out of breath right as I'm the center of attention. If not for the stamina meter, half of the Lanayru Mining Facility dungeon would be very easy; getting to the actual dungeon would also be significantly easier. Without the stamina meter, entire parts of the game wouldn't be difficult, so even though it was a bit of a bother to have, it really affected the game itself. Without these two meters, the game would be noticeably easier.

Ryuyasha

Dragon Demon
I'm a dummy and never even use my Shield. Though I got the Hylian Shield and used it on the last bosses since it made life easier. Though I wish I used my Divine Shield on Scurvo or Dreadfuse cause those guys killed me the most out of anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom