• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Like Creating Things?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Do you enjoy the act of making things, or do you prefer to be a consumer? I'm referring to making things in general here, whether it be drawing, writing, cooking, wood-working, crafting, image or video editing, and any other creative medium you can think of. Do you like the process? Do you do it for the result? Or perhaps you don't like to create things and you just prefer to enjoy the things other people create? People can really make some amazing things, and indulging in them and enjoying them is a lot of fun, too.

As for myself, I do enjoy creating things. I love to cook, especially. I like to write, and sometimes I like to draw. I'm not very good with my hands, though, so stuff like sewing and making music is far beyond me. Sometimes when I'm writing and especially when I'm drawing, I tend to get too focused on the result and I forget to just enjoy the process of it. I think about if it doesn't end up looking good and I lose motivation. That's a hard hurdle to deal with. When it comes to cooking, though, I enjoy both the process and the result. The act of cooking at all is really fun for me, and getting to eat what I made afterward is always a nice reward for my efforts. I need to apply that more to my writing and especially to my art, too, not just my cooking...

What about the rest of you? Do you like making things? Or do you prefer to enjoy the things others make?

I write and I enjoy it but I don't feel as if it is ever as good as I want it to be.

I can't do anything else other than that so I consume things most of the time.

I can't cook very well so I never try anything special and clever and would rather have a pro do it for me.

I don't do papercrafts or anything either because I'm clumsy as hell.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh what a fun thread :D
yes I love creating things. I love to draw, make graphics, make music and to stitch. If I see something that attracts me I'm trying it out to see if it's really my thing. but yes there is nothing then creating things and see where it goes

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
I much prefer creating things than consuming them, I often find myself thinking "I would do this differently" when I'm watching folks on youtube.
After I'd said that to myself enough times, I eventually just said screw it, maybe I WILL do things differently! Now I try to make videos that I would want to watch, even if the channel is small it's been a blast so far. I'm trying to find time to step up production to a few videos a week, even!

I also really like cooking, but I don't do it all the time because despite liking great food and cooking I also really like having good food RIGHT NOW, and haven't particularly got the patience or storage space to work with a bunch of raw ingredients all the time.

So I guess, in the end, I prefer creating things to consuming them overall, but just don't have enough time in a day to work AND create all the things I want to create. Maybe someday if my youtube channel gets big enough to make >20k a year I can adjust my worklife to have more time to do what I love, but for now things are going to stay the way they are most likely.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I create way too much.

I make games, I make images and modeling, I write, I make music... I make, make, make, all day.

It's almost always fun, except when it's stressful. Then it's not fun.

But I still prefer taking part in other people's work. I just don't think anything I do can put up or measure to what my idols do.

I think the enjoyment of creating things depends on how passionate I am about it.

Being obliged to create something you're not invested in can be draining.

For example: I like making simple healthy meals because I know they're helping hit my fitness goals. But making something complicated out of a recipe book with 50 different ingredients it just something I feel is needless effort and wasted money.

Overall though the feeling of seeing your project completed after many hours/days/weeks is supremely satisfying though.

Seeing the end result of someone else's hardwork is satisfying too... so I guess I like creating & consuming.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Do you do it for the result?
this is basically it when it comes to videos, the beginning process of it can get kind of irksome for me, I don't like writing, I don't like narration, I don't like the process of finding the appropriate clips, the editing process itself I don't mind too much, I even enjoy it in some cases, but when it all comes together and is done is when I get that sense of fulfillment
that's about it when it comes to creating, I consume just about everything else

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I love creating!! I draw every single day, whether it’s when I’m riding in the car, watching a movie, or just sitting outside or getting comfortable on the bed and daydream of characters and go into my creative world :)

I like to draw and write, and I love looking at other people’s creations, it gives me inspiration to keep at it, and one day I will be very good, and maybe even make a living out of it! I know that if I, and you, work hard at what you love, like cooking, writing, or drawing, or anything else, you’ll get better and better every single day. Keep at it! ❤️

I enjoy making things. I like coding, music, 3D modelling. Most things that let you be creative are fun. I don't see how anyone wouldn't like to consume, though. You can never be captivated by your own creation the way you can from experiencing others'. If you can be, you should probably check your ego lol.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
I love creating!! I draw every single day, whether it’s when I’m riding in the car, watching a movie, or just sitting outside or getting comfortable on the bed and daydream of characters and go into my creative world :)

I like to draw and write, and I love looking at other people’s creations, it gives me inspiration to keep at it, and one day I will be very good, and maybe even make a living out of it! I know that if I, and you, work hard at what you love, like cooking, writing, or drawing, or anything else, you’ll get better and better every single day. Keep at it! ❤

Your stuff is already really good and gets better every time I see it!

That's the best part - seeing your own progress :)

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Your stuff is already really good and gets better every time I see it!

That's the best part - seeing your own progress :)

Wow, thank you! That means so much!!

Yeah, I actually was looking at my old art and redrew one today, it’s a really nice feeling, seeing how your art once was, and how much better it has become

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
making things is fun, i just wish i had more drive to do so

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom