• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do you like BotW’s durability mechanic?

Do you like the durability mechanic?

• Total voters

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Not a fan.

I'm someone who enjoys finding cool loot that I can keep on using without it wearing down or otherwise dilapidating. If BotW had some way to repair certain weapon types, or hell, even upgrade to Master Sword levels of durability, then the entire system would have been more tolerable. Instead, Link has to frequently restock his weapons, which is more or less revisiting certain areas dozens of times for the best possible gear. The next game needs to remedy this by introducing a weapon-tier system with upgrades, or by doing away with it altogether (which honestly isn't likely).

Lynels can stay, though, since they have the best drops.

No, it ruined the whole game for me. In fact, I might be so bold to say that there's no reason for any video game to have such a system.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
It would have been cool if there were a lot fewer weapons but they lasted a lot longer. Maybe 3x durability, 3x less strong weapons to find (same numbers for weaker stuff) - I found that by the end of the game I was stacked with an entire inventory of Royals / Lynels, and 90% of the stuff was purposeless.

I just want them to feel more "special" when you get something good.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
It would have been cool if there were a lot fewer weapons but they lasted a lot longer. Maybe 3x durability, 3x less strong weapons to find (same numbers for weaker stuff) - I found that by the end of the game I was stacked with an entire inventory of Royals / Lynels, and 90% of the stuff was purposeless.

I just want them to feel more "special" when you get something good.
And the weapons that did feel special always had crappy durability so there was no reason to use them

I got frustrated one time when I was running out of arrows and didn’t find any anywhere and no one had any to sell!
Seemed like the nearer I got to fighting Ganon all the weapon sources dried up!
Some weapons you can get fixed but it would be nice if there was a general forge where you could go to get weapons fixed/remade!

How did this get so many replies lmao
Weird! though I think it's the keywords "Durability Mechanic" and they responded without even reading your post. It's a new age thing though I blame the small screen of phones: People just scroll without reading the fine print.

I've noticed most posts on the web are keyword based if they get responses or not. I don't know if bots are answering or what. If you don't word it exactly right people seem confused which is how bots also react when you throw their little program loop off.

ChimeraWarden

I hear thunder, pitter patter..
I think something similar to the Master Sword would work. When a weapon breaks, it should sit dormant in your inventory. From there, you can choose to keep it or toss it by dropping it from your inventory. You could travel to a town (like the blacksmith in Goron City) and get it repaired, supposing you provide the necessary materials and payment. However, to keep things balanced, weapons like the Royal Guard’s Set would have to be unrepairable. (I mean, they’re Sheikah-made according to the item description) Some weapons would also have to be buffed or nerfed. I think a lot of people would end up going directly to Hyrule Castle (with Majora’s Mask, of course) and nabbing the full Royal Set. I think you should be able to gradually repair more weapons the farther you get in the game to prevent this.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
If they lasted longer, it'd be great. I'm always afraid to use my best weapons because I don't know when/how I'll be able to replace them.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
If they lasted longer, it'd be great. I'm always afraid to use my best weapons because I don't know when/how I'll be able to replace them.
yep. It's a legitimate design problem that people have given me flak for bringing up, believe it or not
this tension has existed since early RPGs with rare consumables that end up being too valuable to be used
in botw it's more of a phantom effect since the actual durability of weapons is more than enough to kill enough enemies to give you more weapons, but that "feels bad" moment is still there, at least for a part of the game, and that's something that should have been avoided if possible (like w/ blacksmiths or "favorite weapons" that respawn in your house or smth)

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I didn't mind weapon durability because there were always new weapons I'd come across to replace what I had in my inventory. More often than not there would be a weapon I'd want to pick up but my inventory was already full, and I didn't have anything I was wanting to drop.

I'd prefer if the system was refined a bit, allowing us to repair broken weapons that we really like, and maybe updrage weapons too thst will become more durable and powerful with upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom