• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do you like BotW’s durability mechanic?

Do you like the durability mechanic?

• Total voters

ChimeraWarden

I hear thunder, pitter patter..
Fundamentally I like the system, but it ought to be more refined. Weapons break too quickly and there ought to be better ways of balancing the game than designing them to break so quickly.
If there were a readily available place to buy weapons, like a Traveler’s Sword in the Kakariko Village shop

ChimeraWarden

Would you like to see a smith to craft and repair weapons provided you have the materials?
Yeah, I believe that would work well. Of course, the only metal we can have as an item is flint, which isn’t strong enough to make a freakin rusty halbred. However, we don’t know the properties of Luminous Stone, which might be used.

All I'll say is I understand why BOTW had weapon degeneration, and I think it was implemented in a way that worked for what it was intended to...

I just never want to see it again.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
Yeah, I believe that would work well. Of course, the only metal we can have as an item is flint, which isn’t strong enough to make a freakin rusty halbred. However, we don’t know the properties of Luminous Stone, which might be used.
They could also add more kinds of material. Now that the developers built a framework with BotW I am hoping that they really are able to expand on it for BotW2 and realize BotW's great potential. BotW is an amazing game, but what's even more amazing is what it could be if its potential is realized.

ChimeraWarden

They could also add more kinds of material. Now that the developers built a framework with BotW I am hoping that they really are able to expand on it for BotW2 and realize BotW's great potential. BotW is an amazing game, but what's even more amazing is what it could be if its potential is realized.
Or if you could merge weapons and combine their durability, like Minecraft
But it’d need some price, like rupees

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I have never felt the need to repair or forge weapons in BotW, ever. It kind of defeats the purpose of the system. If you know where weapons are, you can just restock with every blood moon, and you can still be successful just by grabbing whatever enemies drop when you defeat them; assuming you actually need to, considering it's pretty easy to fight without breaking your stuff constantly. Now, if they wanted to expand the smithies in towns and allow you to make weapons besides just the Champion's stuff, that'd be cool. But I honestly don't see the necessity of it at all when you can just easily go find anything you'd want to make, for free. It's like... what's the point? Why would I spend resources on that if I can just go pick one up for free?

Now, if they were able to change the attributes of your weapon (like durability up and stuff), that I'd call useful. But making stuff from scratch just seems redundant.

ChimeraWarden

Now, if they were able to change the attributes of your weapon (like durability up and stuff), that I'd call useful. But making stuff from scratch just seems redundant.
Technically, by saving before picking up the item you can reroll the modifier when you get one you don’t like by reloading.

I mean, castle raids are pretty easy

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Technically, by saving before picking up the item you can reroll the modifier when you get one you don’t like by reloading.
That's assuming it's a fixed item in the overworld, one that will still be there if you haven't touched it yet. Or if it's from a chest. But dropped weapons will vanish if you reload, so you'd have to save before actually engaging the monster holding it and then you'd have to defeat them again as many times as it takes for you to get one you like. It's just not efficient from a player's perspective. But personally, re-rolling rng repeatedly is one of the most mind-numbing things you can do, so... Could be just me. I'll do it for amiibo drops if I want something, but I'd rather just go to another spot that has that weapon if I'm just looking for something out in the field.

ChimeraWarden

That's assuming it's a fixed item in the overworld, one that will still be there if you haven't touched it yet. Or if it's from a chest. But dropped weapons will vanish if you reload, so you'd have to save before actually engaging the monster holding it and then you'd have to defeat them again as many times as it takes for you to get one you like. It's just not efficient from a player's perspective. But personally, re-rolling rng repeatedly is one of the most mind-numbing things you can do, so... Could be just me. I'll do it for amiibo drops if I want something, but I'd rather just go to another spot that has that weapon if I'm just looking for something out in the field.
Frankly, I just reroll if I get long throw

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I have never felt the need to repair or forge weapons in BotW, ever.
I think the feeling for most of us is less about 'need', or necessity, and more about what feels like the best synthesis for BotW's potential. The fact something works does not then preclude it being better, right? So if you accept that, the next question is can the weapon system be better? If you think so, then what follows is how can it be better? And personally from there, it seems a lot of people would say extended durability with repair systems to protect say more exclusive weapons, with a creative forging system, and a rebalancing of the elements to still ensure a challenge is generally a step forward per what actually matters to people.

ChimeraWarden

If I get long throw, I just long throw the weapon away. :right: Or I'll hold onto it until I find something better and use it as fodder to beat something up.
Yeah, but honestly, who throws their weapons anymore? They just use the Master Sword. And when that runs out, i switch to the other master sword I glitched in grab a royal Bow and snipe bokoblin encampments

I think the feeling for most of us is less about 'need', or necessity, and more about what feels like the best synthesis for BotW's potential. The fact something works does not then preclude it being better, right? So if you accept that, the next question is can the weapon system be better? If you think so, then what follows is how can it be better? And personally from there, it seems a lot of people would say extended durability with repair systems to protect say more exclusive weapons, with a creative forging system, and a rebalancing of the elements to still ensure a challenge is generally a step forward per what actually matters to people.
That or just double the durability
I mean, an enormous blade of refined metals wielded by KING RHOAM should have more durability than a freakin’ Minecraft Wooden Sword

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Extending durability I wouldn't really have a problem with, so long as it doesn't make having durability pointless in the first place. As for the weapon system itself, what I feel would improve it is more weapon types. Rather than limiting to 4 categories (3 melee and 1 long range) and just have extra stuff like magic rods fall under the existing categories, I'd like to seem them branch out the weapon classifications. I'd be way more interested in seeing them do that rather than repairing and forging options. Would add more to what you're capable of in battle, which is a big part of what makes BotW so darn fun to play.
Yeah, but honestly, who throws their weapons anymore? They just use the Master Sword. And when that runs out, i switch to the other master sword I glitched in grab a royal Bow and snipe bokoblin encampments
I throw my weapons quite often, actually. Mostly when they're about to break, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom