• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do you like BotW’s durability mechanic?

Do you like the durability mechanic?

• Total voters
If there were a way to repair weapons, this would be so much easier.

Repairing weapons would be the worst of all worlds. It would defeat the point of having to continually explore for them while keeping the problem of having them become in unusable during fights.

It's permanent weapons with inconvenience. So if you're going to have smithies, you might as well not bother with durability in the first place.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
people who think weapons lasting for 10 hits is somehow equivalent to applying "resource management" and "strategy" to weapons need a vibe check
there's no strategy involved in botw's weapon system
I think trial of the sword does actually require you to manage your weapon durability fairly convincingly but trial of the sword is actually good at this whereas botw as a whole is not
champion weapons shouldn't break; master sword shouldn't need to recharge
give other randomly unbreakable items like hero's bow or magic boomerang

I honestly get the intent behind the breakable weapons, I do
it just clearly doesn't execute properly in the base game, this is objective because it works in trial of the sword, if you try to say otherwise you are wrong
it's very shoehorned

note that other breakable weapon systems like dark souls are totally fine, where you simply have to bring it to a blacksmith to repair it once it breaks

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
also every combat scenario in base botw can be optimized down to full sheikah armor sneakstrikes
there's literally no reason to do anything else and that's a direct result of the durability system

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Repairing weapons would be the worst of all worlds. It would defeat the point of having to continually explore for them while keeping the problem of having them become in unusable during fights.
I disagree with the notion that a weapon repair system would defeat exploration. And will point you in the direction of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. A game that allows you to repair your weapons as they gradually start breaking with use. It also has armour breaking, which is repaired through the same system as your weapons. At no point does being able to repair my weapons and armour affect my desire to continue exploring the dungeons and playing the game. Conversely, having weapons break does cause me to not want to explore or fight anything for more weapons because I then have no weapons for the battles that might take place when I’m looking for more weapons. It’s almost like a catch-22 for me and I severely dislike it.

As for OP’s question, there is not much that I like about BotW. The weapon breaking mechanic is top 3 most annoying things in this game for me personally.

I bought and furnished the Hateno house so I have 3 swords, 3 bows & 3 shields tucked away in there that I can go and get when needed and a full inventory!

While I didn't mind the weapons breaking in combat, what really, really annoys me is how quickly they break in those shrines that you have to Stasis then hit a ball to solve. There's this ONE shrine I haven't been able to clear because aiming that ball is a pain and I always wind up breaking my entire inventory of weapons.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
While I didn't mind the weapons breaking in combat, what really, really annoys me is how quickly they break in those shrines that you have to Stasis then hit a ball to solve. There's this ONE shrine I haven't been able to clear because aiming that ball is a pain and I always wind up breaking my entire inventory of weapons.
Are you talking about the one next to the stable outside the lost woods? That ones always a pain for me too but there’s actually a set number of hits that’s usually able to get it over. I don’t remember off the top of my head but it should be around 5-7 hits with a one handed sword. You can experiment if you save before starting and reload the save if you exhaust your durability before you figure it out.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
Fundamentally I like the system, but it ought to be more refined. Weapons break too quickly and there ought to be better ways of balancing the game than designing them to break so quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom