• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Have a Reading Technique?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
For reading books whether they'll small or large, do you have any kind of technique to get those books read?

For me, I just read in short bursts. I try to get a chapter in a day, slow I know but it works. I typically skim, which isn't good for assignments..

Kirino

Tatakae
I just read an hour every day. I'm a very good reader, so I can fit quite a few chapters in that period of time.

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
I have no strategy whatsoever. Some days, I could read the book in one sitting. Other days, I'll read a sentence or two and be done. It all really depends on if I'm in the mood or not.

Now, it's different if it's a reading that I'm assigned. If that's so, I'll give myself and hour or so a day in order to handle it.

I wouldn't call it a ''technique'' but when I read books I generally have to read them rather quickly (like within a week or so) or I tend to forget important details.

Dan

I find it easier to read my books at my local swimming pool, I don't know what it is about reading underwater but I find that it empowers me and my chi.
Eh I just read for how long I can. :I

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I usually just skim read the majority of the time, I almost never take the time to sit down and "read". I only do so if it's an assignment. If we're on the topics of techniques, I don't really know, I use bookmarks. Does that count?

masterSword2

Smile!
If its for an assignment, I'll try to read as far ahead as possible on the first day so I don't have as much homework the other days, then when the class gets caught up I repeat. If its for my own enjoyment, then not really. I just read. It depends on how interesting the story is how much I'll read at once.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I mostly read for pleasure, so it all comes down to when I want to read and what time I have on my hands. I was however not a good reader in terms of reading assignments back in school. It's been my experience that when a teacher decides what you need to read, it rarely is a book you actually end up enjoying. Maybe others here have tastes more similar to their teachers (or teachers more in sync with their student's interests), I don't know, but for me reading assignments in school were hardly ever enjoyable (had it been up to the school I probably never would've turned into a good reader - but thankfully my parents and siblings love reading, so I learned to love reading from them by being introduced to books I found interesting) - mostly I pushed myself into getting done so that I could move on to reading something I myself wanted to read instead.

It's a shame when forced reading assignments kills kids' desire to read - when someone else decides for you what you need to read, rather than simply helping someone find something they themselves want to read.

I've never developed a particular technique for reading because I enjoy doing so. Occasionally I am assigned a dense and slow read, however, and in moments like those I tend to improvise. I try to read school assignments as thoroughly as possible although when I'm burdened by a multitude of tasks I prioritize with text book reading for most of my English novels are renowned classics I can find a summary for on Sparknotes. Yes, I'm ashamed of using this cop-out but I never do it to be lazy. I catch up on reading during the weekend.

I really have no technique. It all depends on the book and my mood, however, I try to immerse myself fully into the book. That's hard if I do not enjoy the book, so like I said, it depends. Sometimes I find myself so engaged in reading I end up reading for hours and hours, not realizing the passing time, and at times I read by chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom