• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you hate Zombie Apocalypse movies or games?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
It’s pretty easy to point at games that stand out from the throng of media as exceptions to the rule and that’s because that is exactly what they are: exceptions to the rule. In actuality, a lot of zombie media are almost carbon copies of each other with just a different character set. There are only so many virus/fungal/outbreak/cosmic radiation causes zombie apocalypse stories that cause people to need to survive I can take before the similarities get boring.
So like literally everything else in media? How is this a specific problem to post apocalyptic/zombie stories? I wasn't aware every other genre just constantly produced hits that were insanely unique from one another and not totally oversaturated with a bunch of copy and pasted junk. Archetypes exist across all genres.

All the games you mention are zombie apocalypse second and other concepts first. They all cross over into different genres. Last of Us is a cinematic drama experience, as is Telltale’s Walking Dead. Compare that to the other licensed Walking Dead games and you might as well be playing a generic shooter with Walking Dead paint slapped onto it.
What does this even mean? Is Terminator not a sci-fi film because it's also an action movie? These are all zombie games. There is no one way to do it.

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
does it have the contamination aspect?
All that's known is that the Darksign brands the Undead. It's theorized that Gwyn created the Darksign to prevent humanity from rising up and supplanting the gods, but I don't know if anyone has figured out why some people get branded and some people don't

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Y
I don't mind zombies or zombie apocalypse stuff, like, at all.

What I don't like is being lazy about it. A lot of zombie games nowadays I feel are copy/paste, and I like seeing folks put in genuine effort.
Yup, making anything repetitive makes people dislike it but that doesn't mean they hated the original idea. I mean everyone has played atleast one Resident Evil game in their life

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Does a demo count
Out of topic, but I played the **** out of Metroid Dread demo. I'm looking forward to get it. However my priorities are TotK>SSHD> Super Mario Odyssey> Kirby and the Forgotten Land.
My brain says to get Metroid but my mind says to get those games since I've already played the franchise I will enjoy them.

Never thought I would keep a demo undeleted for so long

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
In older books zombies would just rise from the dead by breaking their coffins and head back to their home. They would be unable to speak or just agree with sounds and keep on doing their old habits, like sit at the chair and wait for dinner. They were also believed to possess inhuman strength and were pale like suffering from fever according to the tales. They might also be linked to mistakes made in the medieval times were they would bury someone unconscious and then he would find a way out of the coffin. Source: I'm a wallachian.
those sound more like ghouls or other kinds of undeads lol
which probably can be considered an early version of it, I guess

but aren't modern zombies from haitian and african culture and associated with necromancy and voodoo witchcraft?
I'm not sure if those also had contamination as a factor to being with, though; but still, they're fairly different from european undeads maybe

I never understood the complaint that zombie/post apocalyptic stories specifically are "oversaturated" like it's somehow detrimental to the concept itself. What isn't oversaturated these days? Sci-fi? Fantasy? Superheroes? FPS? RPGs? Romantic Comedies? The list goes on and on. There's so many ways you can tackle a zombie apocalypse just like there's so many ways to approach any genre.

Speaking on games alone, we have stuff like Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, Days Gone, The Last of Us, Telltale's The Walking Dead, and House of the Dead. Yet, none of these games are even remotely similar and offer completely unique experiences from one another. It's a concept you either like or don't, just like RPGs/J-RPGs which I get tired of seeing flood gaming events because it's not for me, but it's great that people who like that sort of thing have so much of it to choose from.
The difference is fantasy and sci fi usually has lot of imagination to it. The only lazy sci fi writing i know of is. "Guy kills aliens". But usually like Stargate SG-1 which is a sci fi i like there is lots of imagination to it. I mean, what effort do you need to write a basic zombie apocalypse plot? Lets see "Guy lives in a toilet looking house, shoots zombies" and thats it.

Neil Drakman extracted inspiration from real life things. Based his concept on Ophiocordyceps unilateralis a real parasitic fungus that turns ants into zombies. Shinji Mikami based his zombies on George A. Romero films that have a ton of social messages. Fixed cameras and prerendered graphics are also a killer combination. Very hard work too. Even if I am not a horror-junkie I have respect for all these film makers video game producers and artists like Ito Junji and Team Silent. Let's not forget that it was Shinji who invented OTS camera.

There is hardly art I hate out there. I just ignore hipsters who try to play jazz, stoner and 2D indies that come at a full price and wanna be GOTY.

I dont care about inspirations i care about execution. But i like Resident Evil because its not panic mongering you see in lots of boring Zombie Apocalypse, the characters is the only reason to like Resident Evil games. (Except RE7, that one sucked hard).

But its way more scarier if few zombies pop up in a movie somewhere. But when its a common problem .... well authorities usually can handle it. Its not like Planet of the Apes where its intelligent beings trying to win a war, zombies cant hold a gun, they are literally there to just lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom