• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Do YOU Hate Twilight Princess??

I've gotta say, all you people who are hatin on the Twilight Princess, listen to this. Would you like it more if it was introduced after Skyward Sword, so that we already had a backstory for the other realm? Because in my personal opinion, some people hate a game just because of the order that it's released. You guys say that people hate on Zelda II? Well, then have Nintendo super improve the graphics, add some interesting cut scenes, rename it (but keep it basically the same) and BAM! You have a game that people will probably love for ages, regardless of it's repetitiveness and the fact that it was already done.

I don't see how this is at all relevant. Most people who have posted in this thread have given well thought out reasons why they think the game is lacking, or where it could be improved and the order of release has nothing to do with this. Would releasing Skyward Sword before Twilight Princess make TP less linear, would it make its items more useful, would it improve the qulity of its sidequests, would it change the games graphics of soundtrack? No.

The situation is the same with Zelda II which I would call my least favourite Zelda game. If it was released now with shiny new graphics and a bit of plot development it would still be my least favourite Zelda game, for exactly the same reasons it is now: the lack of items, the punishing nature of the game and the repetitive combat. In fact, I would think even worse of it because I can accept most of its flaws due the limitations of the NES, but now this is no excuse.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Would releasing Skyward Sword before Twilight Princess make TP less linear, would it make its items more useful, would it improve the qulity of its sidequests, would it change the games graphics of soundtrack? No.

Actually, there is a chance assuming that SS keeps the form it will have of its soon to be realized release and TP is making changes accordingly. Of course there is no real way to tell, but I do have a hunch that if SS were released before TP, that TP would have been a better executed OoT clone if anything.

Would releasing Skyward Sword before Twilight Princess make TP less linear, would it make its items more useful, would it improve the qulity of its sidequests, would it change the games graphics of soundtrack? No.

Actually, there is a chance assuming that SS keeps the form it will have of its soon to be realized release and TP is making changes accordingly. Of course there is no real way to tell, but I do have a hunch that if SS were released before TP, that TP would have been a better executed OoT clone if anything.

That's not really what I meant, rather if they had released TP exactly as it is, but after SS would those issues have been addressed, the answer is, of course, no.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
.....I actually found it kind of depressing..............
Yes, I liked it, but I did not like the parts where you had to collect Tears of Light, more so because the music depressed me then the difficulty. Other than that, it was great.

Good:
-Harder enemies were so fun, it felt AMAZING to stick your sword into 4 darknuts and not die.
-Dungeons were great
-I thought that a big world was cool (more on this later)
-Sidequests were fun

Bad:
-alot of weak enemys that you felt nothing for when you kiled
-easy bosses
-vaccant overworld.

TP is still my favorite zelda game still and i love it.

geek4887

The Unknown
Midna killed the story for me; she was a sniveling little ***** who wanted nothing but her kingdom back. And even after her supposed personality change, she was STILL ordering Link around albeit in a somewhat more subtle fashion. Zelda wasn't the main focus of this game, which is ever so slightly stupid to me as in all respects, Link had more to do with Hyrule than he ever did the Twilight Realm.
I could care less about the complexity of a story, it just needs to be executed in a form that seems at least presentable. Not enough of the theme I wanted out of TP, I suppose.
No,no,no,no,no. You misunderstand me; I don't hate the hidden skills. In fact, I want them to return in SS! It's just that they break the game as in they're overpowered. Great Spin + Fairy Tears/Gold Chu Jelly will wipe Pig Ganon off the face of Hyrule! Or, just using the Shield Bash and getting a few hits in every time will lead to your success against most enemies!
Midna's stupid energy field attack had a startup time almost comparable to the Ball and Chain. In addition to that, locking on to enemies was a chore if you were trying to wipe out more than just three. And in addition to THAT, Wolf Link for some reason or another couldn't jump from one spot to another if it was a couple inches from his body length. Eh, I could rant all i want but that is just my opinion. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with those words of harshness .-.

One thing I DID love about TP though was that it was a four hit combo rather than 3 as in OoT/MM.

Hey, I was just wondering if you disliked Linebeck, too, because he and Midna are like similar characters. I never found Midna to be that much of a jerk. I mean, let's look at every single Zelda we've seen to date. Don't they basically "order" you around? Like in OoT, she "suggests" that you should get the Spiritual Stones, and open the Door of Time (which was a GIANT mistake). So, she basically just "orders" you in a SO MUCH nicer way than Midna does. And while Midna was annoying, she was more helpful than that fairy. >.< She at least had the energy field attack, rather than just yelling out "hey!" when you locked on to an enemy.
She starts apologizing because she wasn't a big help in Ganondorf's fight? That just made me laugh. Like she's helpful in the first place, other than giving you obvious hints about how to beat the boss.

I do agree that despite TP giving such a dark atmosphere, I guess it never reached up to expectations. It wasn't as dark as Majora's Mask was, and the story sort of cumbled after you got the aster Sword, and Zant revealed his true colors as a psychopath. I mean, I don't want a dark Zelda game where it reaches 'M' status, no, that's NOT what I want. But, I agree with you that the story had something a little off about it. Despite that, though, I still liked it. Oh, what do you mean that Wolf Link couldn't jump from one spot to another? Can't you just press L+A then Wolf Link can jump, but I guess that's not what you're trying to point out.

Man, sorry, I just like to argue and stuff. :D

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Linebeck was nothing at all like Midna. Where Linebeck was sarcastic and funny, Midna was exactly as I said – a sniveling little ***** who wanted nothing but her kingdom back. I suppose Linebeck was greedy as well, but he served as straight up comic relief rather than that one indistinguishable jerk who ruined the entire game simply by being on screen for one frame. I get what you're saying about Navi; she was pretty freaking useless but she DID at least give me obvious hints about the bosses and enemies, all Midna did was say some stupid thing about the room (often some smart alecky response) then proceed to sit there looking like an idiot. There was no incentive to press Z (or Up on the Wii D-pad), because she wasn't even a guide!

The story was great, believe me, I just hated any and all references/statements/etc made by or regarding Midna. If Zelda were the Twilight Princess (like I thought when I saw the very first trailer for TP), I would have no problem at all because A - she's hot and B - at least she knows how to rule and doesn't give all of these stupid and devilish responses. Zant was a great villain, I would prefer that he wasn't absolutely insane but even with that mindset, I really liked him. The final phase of his boss fight was extremely interesting, believe me. Just X out Midna [and fill her spots in with Zelda; you know she would be the perfect companion as she has a sword herself!] and TP becomes a better game already!

Nah, it is natural. If you like something, you will defend it in some shape or form :xd:

There hasn't been a Zelda game that I didn't like(lets keep it that way) and TP is still an amazing game. I only own the Wii version, but I still think the game is great.

Pros:Combat system was very good. It is probably the best combat system in the series(though SS looks better). You had your normal sword attacks plus the hidden sword skills. The parry attacks return from WW, but you can do them anytime thanks to the hidden skills. A lot of the items you use are always at your side like the bow and arrow, bombs, clawshot, ect. A lot of the items are unique like the spinner, combining the arrows with bombs, and the double clawshot. The wolf gameplay isn't revolutionary, but I have no complaints. Unlike Epona from OoT, in this game she is actually important in the story and gameplay. The horse combat has worked really well because you can swing your sword and use your other items, something that OoT and MM failed to do. Overall the combat is one of the best things about the game.A lot of enemies are easy, but the Darknuts are easily one of the best enemies to fight in the game. There are 5 heart pieces this time which means that there is more exploration. The Poes and Bugs are decent. The best dungeons in the game are the Forest Temple, Lakebed Temple and Arbiter's Grounds. The Cave of Ordeals is a very good addition because its tests your combat skills. Some of my favorite songs are Hyrule Field, Midna's (don't remember the word but it plays after you beat the Lakebed Temple and you end up in Hyrule field), the credits and more. The art style is pretty good too. Zant and Ganon are pretty bad*** as well.

Cons: The game is too easy. Some factors that contribute are the simple puzzles, easy enemies, and linear gameplay. Some of the items are used around 2 times in certain parts like the spinner, dominion rod, and the most useless weapon of all, the slingshot. The stuff that I said was decent is also a con. You don't get a good rewards for doing them. Rupees are useless unless you want to get the magical armor, but that's only usefull in the Cave of Ordeals. I might get a lot of hate from this, but Midna is over rated. I like her and she is very usefull, but she was more annoying than Navi, and I didn't think Navi was annoying at all. She was rude, she tells you exactly where you need to go, I wished there was more freedom. The tears were annoying as well but my biggest complaint is how much it ran away from the Zelda nature. If it was more non-linear, had tougher enemies and if it was more polished, then TP could've been the best Zelda game. The other dungeons I didn't mentioned while they were unique, they were not anything too special. Graphics are kinda blurry, but still good, however they don't make a good game.

Overall I like TP. It isn't a bad game and every Zelda fan should play it.

Last edited:

geek4887

The Unknown
Linebeck was nothing at all like Midna. Where Linebeck was sarcastic and funny, Midna was exactly as I said – a sniveling little ***** who wanted nothing but her kingdom back. I suppose Linebeck was greedy as well, but he served as straight up comic relief rather than that one indistinguishable jerk who ruined the entire game simply by being on screen for one frame. I get what you're saying about Navi; she was pretty freaking useless but she DID at least give me obvious hints about the bosses and enemies, all Midna did was say some stupid thing about the room (often some smart alecky response) then proceed to sit there looking like an idiot. There was no incentive to press Z (or Up on the Wii D-pad), because she wasn't even a guide!

The story was great, believe me, I just hated any and all references/statements/etc made by or regarding Midna. If Zelda were the Twilight Princess (like I thought when I saw the very first trailer for TP), I would have no problem at all because A - she's hot and B - at least she knows how to rule and doesn't give all of these stupid and devilish responses. Zant was a great villain, I would prefer that he wasn't absolutely insane but even with that mindset, I really liked him. The final phase of his boss fight was extremely interesting, believe me. Just X out Midna [and fill her spots in with Zelda; you know she would be the perfect companion as she has a sword herself!] and TP becomes a better game already!

Nah, it is natural. If you like something, you will defend it in some shape or form :xd:
So basically the biggest thing you hated about the game was Midna? Wow. Well at least we saw some piece of niceness in her til the end. What do you mean if Zelda was your companion? You mean like she was in Spirit Tracks? That would be pretty cool, but it would be like a multi player Zelda game...I'm actually surprised you liked Zelda. I love everything about Twilight Princess, so I can't see through another point of view. Everyone here in ZD always mentioned Zelda as a stiff person with almost no personality. You also liked Zant, which is pretty cool! I guess we're agreeing on something, at least. :D But you gotta admit, at least Midna didn't hold your hand most of the time (the AI of the game sorta did that already, so yeah).

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Zelda in TP had no personality at all, don't get me wrong. But, her presence in the game - and her personality - could've been amplified if Midna wasn't there. As a companion, I could see it being like in Spirit Tracks, and that would be interesting to see Zelda being a sword wielder rather than an ornament wielder (that sword was clearly just for show).

Zant is awesome. I get that some people hated that Ganondorf was his master or whatever, but prior to finding out about Ganondorf I thought Zant was freaking amazing villain. He was crazy, not the Majora kinda crazy, but crazy nonetheless. Power hungry in a way that does contrast with Ganondork. Crazy in a way that isn't exactly sadistic like Majora. Great villain all in all.

Maybe that's partly of why I hate her so much. Where Navi held your hand and was nice, Tatl at least gave some hints (and was mildly funny), Ciela was...Ciela, etc, Midna was just a jerk. I don't know, all I know is that I hate her. *shrugs*

Last edited:

geek4887

The Unknown
Zelda in TP had no personality at all, don't get me wrong. But, her presence in the game - and her personality - could've been amplified if Midna wasn't there. As a companion, I could see it being like in Spirit Tracks, and that would be interesting to see Zelda being a sword wielder rather than an ornament wielder (that sword was clearly just for show).

Zant is awesome. I get that some people hated that Ganondorf was his master or whatever, but prior to finding out about Ganondorf I thought Zant was freaking amazing villain. He was crazy, not the Majora kinda crazy, but crazy nonetheless. Power hungry in a way that does contrast with Ganondork. Crazy in a way that isn't exactly sadistic like Majora. Great villain all in all.

Maybe that's partly of why I hate her so much. Where Navi held your hand and was nice, Tatl at least gave some hints (and was mildly funny), Ciela was...Ciela, etc, Midna was just a jerk. I don't know, all I know is that I hate her. *shrugs*

Yup. :D I just read this cool article over at Zelda Universe about Zant. It was a well done article and it really showed Zant's true colors. It made him look like the awesome bad*** villain he was. But without Midna, Zant wouldn't be the crazy power hungry person he is, though. Midna had to be there, in order for the events to happen. What I liked the best(okay it's not the best, but) about Twilight Princess was that the characters were so involved in the story. I know that you're not into the story that much, but I am. It gave you a reason to save Hyrule. The character interaction was not as deep as it was in Majora's Mask (I wish Castle Town was like that :(), but there was character development and growth nevertheless.

H

Hero of Storms2

Maybe people hate because its "too puzzling" for them because its there first zelda game and also maybe they thought "this is so annoying this "Cave Of Ordeals" keeps getting harder everytime I come in here so Im really annoyed":( or something like that, but for me its the best game EVER!!!:)

H

Howling Wind

Ok... Here goes.

Problems:

Over World is bland and straight forward. Basically it is a big fat bridge to get from point A to point B. It houses nearly no side quests, there is nothing going on, it's dead. Lifeless. The special items you find in dungeons are practically worthless after the dungeon you find the item in is completed. The only really good music in the game is the music from other Zelda titles. To me, ambient music does not really work in Zelda. Didn't for me anyway. Ganondorf was thrown in at the last minute almost like to say (hey! Lets put Ganon in here because its a Zelda game) and what was the point of changing the needed heart pieces for a heart container from 4 to 6? If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Pointless. Instead of making the player have to find more heart pieces, try putting other items into the series and making them useful. Story isn't very important in a Zelda game for me, but, the TP story just seemed to scramble all over the place. It felt like they weren't sure what it was and almost like they were trying to cram ideas for 4 Zelda games into 1 >.<

Pluses: Dungeons are well designed. That is really all I got O.O Best dungeons in any Zelda game I have played are in TP. So I don't hate it, I just don't like it for more reasons than I like it.

and what was the point of changing the needed heart pieces for a heart container from 4 to 6?
How much of it did you play? Cus you have to get 5 pieces, not 6. 6 would just be obscene. No, the 5 was a nice change for some of us. For me, I just took it as another side quest when I was bored with the main quest. Took me a while, but I hunted them all down.

H

Howling Wind

Okay, 5. Still. I played through the whole thing. Been a while though. Still, why change it from 4 to 5? It makes no sense. Instead of adding something new they change something old and make it more work for nothing at all, really. It might be a nice change for others. But for me it seemed like change for the sake of change. The worst kind there is =O

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom