• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Do YOU Hate Twilight Princess??

Earlier today(September 20, 2011) , this article was posted on the home page:

How Could Anyone Dislike Twilight Princess?September 20th, 2011 by Mases

This question was recently brought up by a commentator of a Kotaku article and it became front page news over at the gaming site. It’s a rather simple question, how could anyone dislike Twilight Princess? I have hinted in quite a variety of news posts over the years over the various things I didn’t like about Twilight Princess. I thought the game had some of the worst collectible items, it was perhaps the most linear Zelda title to date, and the story just completely fell apart in the second-half of the game. There are other complaints as well, such as the uselessness of most of the inventory, the fact that the game was incredibly easy, and perhaps a very minor complaint being its very unmemorable soundtrack.

With all that being said, Twilight Princess did have a lot going for it. The overworld was gigantic, it was the lengthiest Zelda experience to date, and had the most elaborate collection of dungeons for any Zelda games in the series. I don’t dislike Twilight Princess… in fact, I really like it. It’s a great Zelda game and one of the best titles available for either the Nintendo GameCube or the Nintendo Wii. So how could anybody really dislike Twilight Princess? Make the jump to see what the commentator over at Kotaku had to say.

Does anyone else dislike Twilight Princess? I honestly felt like it was all of the worst things in the Zelda series, rolled into one game. It had bland colors, goofy-looking characters, and kept Link just as emotionless as ever.

I don’t *hate* the game, mind you, but it definitely didn’t feel like a strong title to me. It rehashed only the “standard” items (which I’ll admit, the Boomerang felt improved), and the new additions felt completely worthless outside of their respective dungeons. Might as well they just have been keys.

I dunno, maybe it’s just because it came after the magnificent Wind Waker, but I truly did not like Twilight Princess. Which is a shame, because I loved the thought of a “Lord of the Rings-styled” Link

So what are your thoughts? Are there really valid reasons for a Zelda fan to dislike Twilight Princess? I’m not talking about saying it’s one of the weaker games in the series but rather, somebody that actually does not like the game at all. Is it missing something intangible that is present in most of the other Zelda titles? Let us know your thoughts by posting in the comments below.

~ ~ ~

I want to use this thread to talk about everyones likes/dislikes about Twilight Princess. Feel free to comment, like the article said.

My Likes About Twilight Princess

Personally, I liked the idea of the Gale :boomerang:, using wind that's created from the boomerang to activate switches and the like. I also liked :bomb: Arrows. Exploding arrows, come on, who DOESN'T love that?! :lol: I haven't actually beaten the game yet, but he last part I was on before my save file got messed up and I had to start over (:dry:), I was at the :goron: Mines. I absolutely LOVED the idea of sticking to the ground and throwing things into lava, and the :goron: sumo-wrestling fights! xD

My Dislikes About Twilight Princess

I never liked the controls. Ever. They were really choppy, all you had to do was swing your Wii Remote around. I also never liked having to point the Wii Remote at the screen to use most of your items, I like the Skyward Sword controls MUCH better, you don't have to do as much of that stuff. :clap:

Sorry for the lack of info, but I haven't finished TP yet. I'll probably edit this thread once I finish it. ;) :yes: Please post your likes and dislikes i nthe comments!

~Linkanon, A.K.A. Ninja Zora Happy Link/Zelda Nerd~ o.o:zora:^^:):zelda::nerd:

Yes i like TP but i do not likr it as much as MM,WW LttP, or OoT.
I felt the music in the game was a real let down.
In those other Zelda games i felt a real connection to certain characters, i did not get this in TP.
Also i thought there where to few cutscenes and i really thought them poor.

I also found it hard controlling Link.
And im not a fan of becoming a Wolf either.
On the plus point the levels here massive and really hard to workout.
The levels also loked rea good and the puzzles real hard.

MasterSwordBoy1

Hero of Pie
I don't hate that much, but I do a little. The items were cool, like the gale boomerang, the clawshot, the spinner, etc. But when I play TP I don't get that magic feel like I do when I play the other zelda games. TP is in my top 5 though, but for some reason I don't play it anymore. I like to play Wind Waker now. Tp is a good game though, but it's not the best zelda game.

Z

zeldarulez

no i dont think so i love it i just started the game and am pretty far in it

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I believe by now I've established my opinion about Twilight Princess well enough throughout the Dungeon, which is that is has the best character development through many characters, namely Midna and Colin, and a story that bears many lessons which could help us through life (i.e. Colin accepting his strength by looking up to Link and drawing his power from his Courage).

geek4887

The Unknown
I hate TP.

Story was horrible in my opinion all because of Midna. Remove her entirely, and you have a good story about a young man who ventures out from his hometown and fights evil. Gameplay was too easy; hidden skills broke the game and enemies don't deal nearly enough damage to you. Wolf Link is entirely optional for the most part and is, moreorless, useless in use.
How was the story horrible? It was more complex than any other Zelda game. Rather than "boy saves princess, then world to rid of evil" stereotype kind of thing, they added a little spice to it. I know that the introduction of Ganon was poor, but everything else was well done. I get that enemies never really ko'd you unless a gang of Darknuts corner you. But you hated the hidden skills? Really? Come on, it's better than Ocarina's "hack 'n slash" swordplay. At least you could spice up your battle techniques a little bit. I half-agree with your wolf Link comment. Although if done correctly, wolf Link is really, REALLY strong. I know that you could care less about how strong he is, because the enemies weren't that much of a challenge. But, Wolf Link can wipe out a horde of enemies in one move, so he was alright. I dunno, I guess I don't get it. Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda, tied to Ocarina of Time, so my opinion is HEAVILY biased.

I like Twilight Princess, but it's neither my favorite nor my least favorite Zelda game. I can see why people love it, and I can see why people hate it. I thought it was good for the most part, it's biggest flaw is it's just missing the personality of the other games. But it's still fun to play! Even if you didn't like it your first play through, you should give it another chance.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
How was the story horrible? It was more complex than any other Zelda game. Rather than "boy saves princess, then world to rid of evil" stereotype kind of thing, they added a little spice to it. I know that the introduction of Ganon was poor, but everything else was well done. I get that enemies never really ko'd you unless a gang of Darknuts corner you. But you hated the hidden skills? Really? Come on, it's better than Ocarina's "hack 'n slash" swordplay. At least you could spice up your battle techniques a little bit. I half-agree with your wolf Link comment. Although if done correctly, wolf Link is really, REALLY strong. I know that you could care less about how strong he is, because the enemies weren't that much of a challenge. But, Wolf Link can wipe out a horde of enemies in one move, so he was alright. I dunno, I guess I don't get it. Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda, tied to Ocarina of Time, so my opinion is HEAVILY biased.
Midna killed the story for me; she was a sniveling little ***** who wanted nothing but her kingdom back. And even after her supposed personality change, she was STILL ordering Link around albeit in a somewhat more subtle fashion. Zelda wasn't the main focus of this game, which is ever so slightly stupid to me as in all respects, Link had more to do with Hyrule than he ever did the Twilight Realm.
I could care less about the complexity of a story, it just needs to be executed in a form that seems at least presentable. Not enough of the theme I wanted out of TP, I suppose.
No,no,no,no,no. You misunderstand me; I don't hate the hidden skills. In fact, I want them to return in SS! It's just that they break the game as in they're overpowered. Great Spin + Fairy Tears/Gold Chu Jelly will wipe Pig Ganon off the face of Hyrule! Or, just using the Shield Bash and getting a few hits in every time will lead to your success against most enemies!
Midna's stupid energy field attack had a startup time almost comparable to the Ball and Chain. In addition to that, locking on to enemies was a chore if you were trying to wipe out more than just three. And in addition to THAT, Wolf Link for some reason or another couldn't jump from one spot to another if it was a couple inches from his body length. Eh, I could rant all i want but that is just my opinion. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with those words of harshness .-.

One thing I DID love about TP though was that it was a four hit combo rather than 3 as in OoT/MM.

Last edited:

geek4887

The Unknown
Midna killed the story for me; she was a sniveling little ***** who wanted nothing but her kingdom back. And even after her supposed personality change, she was STILL ordering Link around albeit in a somewhat more subtle fashion. Zelda wasn't the main focus of this game, which is ever so slightly stupid to me as in all respects, Link had more to do with Hyrule than he ever did the Twilight Realm.
I could care less about the complexity of a story, it just needs to be executed in a form that seems at least presentable. Not enough of the theme I wanted out of TP, I suppose.
No,no,no,no,no. You misunderstand me; I don't hate the hidden skills. In fact, I want them to return in SS! It's just that they break the game as in they're overpowered. Great Spin + Fairy Tears/Gold Chu Jelly will wipe Pig Ganon off the face of Hyrule! Or, just using the Shield Bash and getting a few hits in every time will lead to your success against most enemies!
Midna's stupid energy field attack had a startup time almost comparable to the Ball and Chain. In addition to that, locking on to enemies was a chore if you were trying to wipe out more than just three. And in addition to THAT, Wolf Link for some reason or another couldn't jump from one spot to another if it was a couple inches from his body length. Eh, I could rant all i want but that is just my opinion. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with those words of harshness .-.

One thing I DID love about TP though was that it was a four hit combo rather than 3 as in OoT/MM.

Well, I get your point. But it's probably because TP was the first 3D Zelda I played. So, that's probably why it topped(well not really, but tied) Ocarina of Time for me...:yes:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I respect your choice, and it is natural anyway; I played OoT first which is why in my opinion it trumps all Zeldas before and after it, excluding MM and most likely SS.

The two things I did not like about it was too easy and the items you get become useless after the dungeons you get them in. I think they could have done better but I don't hate it. I did not have any problems with the controls, I sometimes had problems with the double clawshot but it wasn't that bad.

I like TP better than OoT, it is my second favorite game with MM first and OoT third.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. Twilight Princess was the first Zelda game that I was actually interested in from conception, and I'm glad I followed through. It's a terrific game, one of my top three Wii games, and it's definitely up there for the best Zelda games. Everything, from story to graphics to gameplay, was superb, and it matches OoT as the Zelda gaming experience.

I've gotta say, all you people who are hatin on the Twilight Princess, listen to this. Would you like it more if it was introduced after Skyward Sword, so that we already had a backstory for the other realm? Because in my personal opinion, some people hate a game just because of the order that it's released. You guys say that people hate on Zelda II? Well, then have Nintendo super improve the graphics, add some interesting cut scenes, rename it (but keep it basically the same) and BAM! You have a game that people will probably love for ages, regardless of it's repetitiveness and the fact that it was already done.

Now, I don't LOVE Twilight Princess, but I don't hate it either. It has some good qualities to it. Number one on my list: The Cave of Ordeals. This thing took me 2 hours to accomplish, simply cus I took a lot of time as a wolf looking for hearts in the hidden digging spots. Definitely (in my opinion) the hardest part of the game. Seriously, it's like saying "Darknut Gauntlet Mode. GO!!!"

So yeah, I think that the side quests were slightly lacking. Minigames? No point. Skyward Sword? Gonna beast TP. No question. From what I've seen of it, Demon Lord Ghirahim will be a nice change from the traditional Ganondorf-has-trapped-Zelda-and-you-must-save-her-from-his-evil-clutches type game. I ipreffered it in that respect.

And Midna? Lemme say one thing.... OMG SHE'S HAWT. The end.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
Absolutely not. I love Twilight Princess. It is a great game, action packed, and extremely fun. I had very few problems with it, and would recommend it to anyone. I dob't really understand why people keep hating on it, but it is a good game in my opinion.

Everyone, I do NOT hate Twilight Princess, let me just say that right here and now. Sure it lacks some things that are on my list of standards that make a great Zelda game, but I don't HATE it, infact, it's very fun and challenging. I'm just trying to get your opinion on this.

Mubble

Pokémon Pusher
TP was one of the first Zelda games I played, so it gave me a very small frame of reference - but since then, having played other older titles; it still remains one of my favorites. I really enjoyed it and I liked the story it followed in there with the transitions between Link and the wolf. I also liked Midna as a sidekick - though she was annoying. It was one of the first adventure games that I had experienced at that stage though, in 3D - and having a companion in the game was quite refreshing, despite her irritating elements and whines. The graphics were also really great for the Wii at that stage, and putting aside jaggies and awkward cameras or controls, it was quite a feat for the Wii. Another thing I found with that game was it a lot more user-friendly - in terms of difficulty; personally, I struggled when I came to play the older generations of the Zelda games (recently having played OoT on 3DS) and TP seemed as if it gave more of a helping hand and guide.

For me, it was quite exciting exploring it all and perhaps that's just because it was my first proper 3D Zelda game experience, but it still holds a very special place in my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom