• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Do YOU Hate Twilight Princess??

Earlier today(September 20, 2011) , this article was posted on the home page:

How Could Anyone Dislike Twilight Princess?September 20th, 2011 by Mases

This question was recently brought up by a commentator of a Kotaku article and it became front page news over at the gaming site. It’s a rather simple question, how could anyone dislike Twilight Princess? I have hinted in quite a variety of news posts over the years over the various things I didn’t like about Twilight Princess. I thought the game had some of the worst collectible items, it was perhaps the most linear Zelda title to date, and the story just completely fell apart in the second-half of the game. There are other complaints as well, such as the uselessness of most of the inventory, the fact that the game was incredibly easy, and perhaps a very minor complaint being its very unmemorable soundtrack.

With all that being said, Twilight Princess did have a lot going for it. The overworld was gigantic, it was the lengthiest Zelda experience to date, and had the most elaborate collection of dungeons for any Zelda games in the series. I don’t dislike Twilight Princess… in fact, I really like it. It’s a great Zelda game and one of the best titles available for either the Nintendo GameCube or the Nintendo Wii. So how could anybody really dislike Twilight Princess? Make the jump to see what the commentator over at Kotaku had to say.

Does anyone else dislike Twilight Princess? I honestly felt like it was all of the worst things in the Zelda series, rolled into one game. It had bland colors, goofy-looking characters, and kept Link just as emotionless as ever.

I don’t *hate* the game, mind you, but it definitely didn’t feel like a strong title to me. It rehashed only the “standard” items (which I’ll admit, the Boomerang felt improved), and the new additions felt completely worthless outside of their respective dungeons. Might as well they just have been keys.

I dunno, maybe it’s just because it came after the magnificent Wind Waker, but I truly did not like Twilight Princess. Which is a shame, because I loved the thought of a “Lord of the Rings-styled” Link

So what are your thoughts? Are there really valid reasons for a Zelda fan to dislike Twilight Princess? I’m not talking about saying it’s one of the weaker games in the series but rather, somebody that actually does not like the game at all. Is it missing something intangible that is present in most of the other Zelda titles? Let us know your thoughts by posting in the comments below.

~ ~ ~

I want to use this thread to talk about everyones likes/dislikes about Twilight Princess. Feel free to comment, like the article said.

My Likes About Twilight Princess

Personally, I liked the idea of the Gale :boomerang:, using wind that's created from the boomerang to activate switches and the like. I also liked :bomb: Arrows. Exploding arrows, come on, who DOESN'T love that?! :lol: I haven't actually beaten the game yet, but he last part I was on before my save file got messed up and I had to start over (:dry:), I was at the :goron: Mines. I absolutely LOVED the idea of sticking to the ground and throwing things into lava, and the :goron: sumo-wrestling fights! xD

My Dislikes About Twilight Princess

I never liked the controls. Ever. They were really choppy, all you had to do was swing your Wii Remote around. I also never liked having to point the Wii Remote at the screen to use most of your items, I like the Skyward Sword controls MUCH better, you don't have to do as much of that stuff. :clap:

Sorry for the lack of info, but I haven't finished TP yet. I'll probably edit this thread once I finish it. ;) :yes: Please post your likes and dislikes i nthe comments!

~Linkanon, A.K.A. Ninja Zora Happy Link/Zelda Nerd~ o.o:zora:^^:):zelda::nerd:

I don't hate TP, it's just not one of my favorite Zelda games. Some of the ideas were really good, like the gale boomerang, but others, not so much. One of the few bad ideas was the slingshot. I mean, you only use it for 1 and a half dungeons. Another thing that I didn't like about Twilight Princess were the children that were so involved with the main plot of the game. The dungeons are really well designed, I think.

I really liked Twilight Princess. It's definately at the top half of my favorite Zelda game list. Graphics weren't blurry, they were beautiful, gameplay was great, brilliant and understandable story and the best part, the nostalgia. Great game!

MW7

My thoughts can be summed up with the following opinions that on the surface seem contradictory:

1. Twilight Princess is the best game currently out on the Wii (note that I put currently because Skyward Sword could live up to less than half of my expectations and still be better than TP)

2. Twilight Princess is the worst console Zelda title IMO

3. I would rank Twilight Princess 10th out of the 11 Zelda titles I have played

4. I would give Twilight Princess a 9.3 on a 10-point scale

So basically I'm a complete Zelda fan boy who feels that Twilight Princess is awesome but doesn't measure up when compared to the rest of the games in the series

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
i've played it so much that its not that i dont like it, im just bored with it. theres some other problems too though
1: not enough uses for some of the items, ex: gale boomerange, spinner, dominion rod
2: those children are weird and ugly
3: its too linear compared to others, like OoT
4: the final dungeon feels too short

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No, I don't hate TP. In fact it is my most fav Zelda game. I love the graphics and I love the story. I think it really depends on everybody's own experience and taste. Some people hate it, some people love it and some don't care. In fact I think this game could have been far more better if they worked more on the characters and the storyline. A bit more about the Twili background would have been nice. But in general I really love the game and will give it a 9.7 out of 10.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I hate TP.

It has really, REALLY good concepts behind it, but they just weren't executed well enough.
As I've said before, enemies don't deal enough damage to you. Seriously, look at how hard the Darknut's swing appears to be, then compare the damage dealt to Link. Do they really match up in your opinion? In mine, no they do not. The items have very few uses outside of the dungeon you find them in. Story was horrible in my opinion all because of Midna. Remove her entirely, and you have a good story about a young man who ventures out from his hometown and fights evil. Gameplay was too easy; hidden skills broke the game and enemies don't deal nearly enough damage to you. Wolf Link is entirely optional for the most part and is, moreorless, useless in use. Puzzles weren't challenging enough for my somewhat (in)capable Zelda player mind. Minigames were pretty much nonexistent in that they were so obscure that no one cared to find them and even if they DID care, the rewards you get are so abysmally useless that again, no one cares for them. The minigames in my opinion weren't even that fun, barring Cave of Ordeals.

I don't hate any Zelda game, but some certainly have more flaws that others. My views on TP:

Positives:
The second or third best dungeons in any game behind OoT and possibly MM
The best characters in the series
My favourite graphical style (though I don't consider this to be very important)
Some very good unique items but... (see negatives)
Those caves you can explore in the overworld
The wolf transformation adds another dimension to the game
The Wii control scheme

Negatives:
Most items are useless outside their dungeon
The game is too linear
The sidequests and mini-games are very poor (other than the aforementioned caves and the snowboarding game).
The Faron and Lanayru provinces bug collecting (Eldin was ok because you got the bugs whilst exploring the area for the first time)

Last edited:
Twilight Princess is probably my second favorite Zelda game. I just loved the story and how everything came along. The gameplay was great. I could go into this a lot more but we'd be here all day.

chris112

ゼルダファンの伝説!
I don't really hate it, as it is pretty good. It is one of my favorite Zelda Games, and the games graphics are pretty nice. But some of the controls I don't like. The slashing for the sword when you move the Wii remote is okay, but to aim at the screen to just use a boomerang or something isn't something I like. another I don't like is that the Wii version is mirrored, I rather have it look regular on the Wii, with a left handed Link.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
No I certainly do not! It is tied with OOT as my favourite zelda. Great storyline, good art-style (however blurry due to it being a wii game), interesting characters (including midna my favourite companion). And Ganondorf's hair and beard are just the best.

I hate TP.

It has really, REALLY good concepts behind it, but they just weren't executed well enough.
As I've said before, enemies don't deal enough damage to you. Seriously, look at how hard the Darknut's swing appears to be, then compare the damage dealt to Link. Do they really match up in your opinion? In mine, no they do not. The items have very few uses outside of the dungeon you find them in. Story was horrible in my opinion all because of Midna. Remove her entirely, and you have a good story about a young man who ventures out from his hometown and fights evil. Gameplay was too easy; hidden skills broke the game and enemies don't deal nearly enough damage to you. Wolf Link is entirely optional for the most part and is, moreorless, useless in use. Puzzles weren't challenging enough for my somewhat (in)capable Zelda player mind. Minigames were pretty much nonexistent in that they were so obscure that no one cared to find them and even if they DID care, the rewards you get are so abysmally useless that again, no one cares for them. The minigames in my opinion weren't even that fun, barring Cave of Ordeals.

That paragraph of "complaints" is so flawed, LOL.

First off, I've always found the difficulty complaint to be completely moronic. Combat is fun, not hard, but it is still fun, and the puzzles were absolutely fine on the difficulty level. The items were used outside of their dungeons. Again, I've always found that complaint to be stupid. The only items that maybe deserve the title of "useless" are the Slingshot and a few optional items. Also, care to elaborate on why Midna is so "awful?" She's probably the most developed and interesting character in Zelda history. Wolf Link wasn't useless. He was fast, used for multiple puzzles, and even used for the final boss fight. Lastly, while Twilight Princess doesn't many sidequests, it makes up for it in length. I'd rather have a long quest and a few sidequests than a short quest and a ton of sidequests. *coughMajora'sMaskcough*

Oh, and don't use the, "OHEMGEE but is lik mai opinionz." excuse since you are factually wrong on a few points.

Wrongful Opinion =/= Actual Opinion

It's like saying I believe in Santa Clause because it's my opinion.

Oh and one last thing, if I get a warning, bad reputation, or anything that claims my post was "trolling" and that I need to "respect other peoples' opinions," I'll LOL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom