• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do You Guys Even Read NPC Dialogue?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Okay, so I must admit. I have had a bit of a pet peeve in regards to this forum and with BotW. Do you guys even read NPC dialogue?

Now, while I will admit that the story itself for BotW isn't the greatest in history, but the lore sure is great. I have a nagging suspicion it's because people don't bother to talk to many of the NPC's in town, along with other hidden relics among the world(for example, the stone tablet that explains why Guardians have not yet managed to invade Zoras domain).

Or even other tidbits as well, such as how a certain NPC tells you that she wanted Link to choose between her and Mipha(and Link obviously didn't choose Kodah).

Normally, I wouldn't be too hung about this. However, some people from all communities are making wackadoodle theories and assumptions from BotW(why doesn't *insert area or plot point* have any meaning at all?).

I get that BotW is a big game, but it doesn't take much to come and see a lot of the nice world building that Nintendo put out. I have a really nagging suspicion is really being ignored. However, I could be wrong.

So what say you ZD. Do you read a lot of the NPC dialogue, or do you ignore most of it?

I read it in my first playthrough, but I found myself button mashing through most of my second, and my master mode playthroughs so far. Depends on the dialogue I guess. I don't skip over it enough to completely miss out because I do pick up on new things from what NPCs are saying that I didn't consider my first time around.

Ninja

Well well well
I read everything I can, and talk to as many people as possible.

For me, the NPCs, the monument stones, the diaries, relics, and stone tablets ARE the story of the game. The fact that you have to actively discover the lore about BotW is what makes it an amazing experience.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Oh yes definitely. I like to extract as much of the lore and story as I can. I dont see the point in skipping story related dialogue as the story is the reason I play. Unfortunately BoTW's lore and story was still very shallow.

funnier6

Courage~
Of course I do, though the gorons were boring to talk to.

While we're on the subject so far the only npcs who care if you're wearing clothes or not are Hestu and that Sheikah girl I forgot the name of.

First time through I read it, but not "because of the story". I read it so that I make sure I don't miss whatever info I may need for the specific "quest" I am likely to be given. Honestly, I couldn't care less about the story, lore, etc. Just give me the info regarding my specific mission/quest, and let me be on my way.

Now, if there was ever actually anything in a Zelda story was compelling, I might be more inclined to follow the story ... but for me, Zelda stories are nothing more than "Hey, there was this princess with powers ... and this kid who was good with a sword ... and this bad guy that was trying to destroy their home (Hyrule). But, you (Link) are here to save the day. Go kill the bad guy and rescue the princess, and live happily ever after ... until Ganon returns in the future, and we go through this cycle yet again ... and again ... and again ..."

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
if its the 1st time talking to them then I will read their dialogue but if its them repeating them selves button mashing happens

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I usually just skim through it, I tend to pick up important info by looking into it myself rather than listen to NPCs. Star Tropics is a different story though.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
What kind of wanker doesn't talk to everyone at least twice? I make it a point to talk to everyone I come across in almost every possible situation. Admittedly, that's a lot of talking to do. Even in my Master Mode playthrough I sometimes still come across dialogue I missed, like the Zora kid who basically tells you what to do for the veiled falls shrine quest (if I'd talked to him in my first playthrough I wouldn't have had to look it up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom