• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Do You Feel the Pokémon Anime Has Had Its Decline?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Hey there guys and gals! Today I wanted to discuss about the Pokémon anime series. I’m sure every single one of us has at least watched one episode of the Pokémon anime, some more than others. If any of you remember the first few seasons, you’ll remember an amazing journey and adventure that started out with a bang. But, unfortunately, the journey became less exciting as the series progressed. There are a total of 14 seasons of Pokémon, with about 15 movies released (some are not released yet, but are in production). My main focus for creating this thread is that I want to discuss the decline of the Pokémon anime series.

Seasons 1-5 (Original series):
Professor(s): Oak, Ivy, Elm
Villain(s): Team Rocket

The Original Pokémon animated series takes place in both the Kanto and Johto regions. Ash starts his journey in these seasons, and begins to strive for his long term goal; to become a Pokémon Master. Along the way, he is accompanied by Misty, Brock, and later in the season, Tracey. He creates many rivals and constantly fends off the recurring evil syndicate, Team Rocket. Ash collects all eight badges and advances to the Indigo League where he is eventually defeated. Accepting his loss, he moves onward to the Orange Islands to participate in the island’s league after collecting four badges. He succeeds with Misty and Tracey by his side. Moving forward from his victory, Ash continues onto the Johto region, collects the eight badges, and enters the Silver Conference with Brock and Misty beside him. Sadly, he loses. The three of them part ways as Ash heads for the Hoenn region to continue on.

The reception for the first several seasons was phenomenal, and is claimed to be a favorite by almost everybody (including myself). Although there have been some arguable controversies that have surfaced while the series aired, it still remains cherished and adored by many fans. The characters also received positive reception for their roles and personalities. Movies such as The Origin of Mewtwo (Mewtwo Strikes Back) and Pokémon 2000 have been highly successful movies based off of these seasons, generating no obvious complaints.

Seasons 6-9 (Advanced Generation series):
Professor(s): Birch
Villain(s): Team Rocket, Team Magma, Team Aqua

Seasons 6-9 of the Pokémon animated series take place mostly in the Hoenn region, with an exception where the protagonists revisit the Kanto region. Here, Ash is accompanied by two new companions, as well as an old one. Max and May come into the picture, and Brock also makes his highly anticipated return. Although Team Rocket does make another appearance in this season, the heroes are encountered by two more evil teams: Team Magma and Team Aqua. The Battle Frontier was also featured, and ended with Ash defeating the final Frontier Brain, Brandon, and declining to become a Frontier Brain himself.

Reception for these seasons was positive and welcoming, but not as much as the Original series had received. Some viewers were partially unsatisfied with May and Max, and preferred Misty and Brock as Ash’s only partners. Some viewers, not all of course, began to develop some disinterest. There were even a few who believed that the show should have ceased with Ash becoming a Frontier Brain, but of course that did not happen. There were some general but rather weak complaints. The seasons all together were fairly good though.

Seasons 10-13 (Diamond & Pearl series):
Professor(s): Rowan
Villains: Team Rocket, Team Galactic

Ash continues his journey and comes across a new region. This region goes by the name of Sinnoh. Arming himself with only his Pikachu and a very sneaky Aipom, Ash reunites with Brock and creates a new friend, Dawn. As he collects gym badges, Dawn collects ribbons, and Brock continues his research, they come across new rivals and villains. Team Rocket appears once again to stop them in their tracks, and they’re not alone. Team Galactic also comes into view and wishes to take over control of the Pokémon universe, but is stopped in its tracks by the main protagonists, including Cynthia (Champion) and Looker (a detective). Afterwards, Ash enters the competition for the Sinnoh League, but ends up losing to an incredibly strong trainer who utilizes the sacred power of Legendary Pokémon. The season ends with Dawn, Brock, and Ash all parting ways after the Sinnoh League to continue and fulfill their own dreams.

Reception for these seasons hasn’t been as positive as their predecessors. Many have claimed that the Diamond & Pearl series is much worse than the successful Original series. Not many were fond of Dawn’s character and how she was presented, but not too many complaints came up about her. Unfortunately, some fans have decided to stop watching the series as a whole during seasons 10-13. The seasons all together were somewhat of a disappointment, but some could argue otherwise.

Seasons 14-Present (Best Wishes! series):
Professor(s): Juniper
Villain(s): Team Rocket, Team Plasma

The start of season 14 is where the Pokémon anime began to have its major decline. Many fans who’ve still been watching the series at this point began to break away, finding other shows to watch instead of what is now being aired. Many upon many fans so far are very dissatisfied with the characters and Pokémon that have been featured in this series.

There isn’t much to describe about Best Wishes! Brock, Dawn, and Ash have all parted ways at this point. Ash ends up discovering a brand new region. This time, the region is called Unova. Not having his old companions by his side, he makes some new ones. He meets one of the Striation City Gym Leaders, Cilan, and a Dragon Master in the making, Iris. The three of them explore the Unova region; Ash focusing on obtaining all eight badges, Iris focusing on her training, and Cilan there to support the two (I honestly have no idea why he’s there in the first place). Unlike previous seasons, Team Rocket appears sporadically throughout the show, and does not appear in every episode. There is also a new crime syndicate on the block, Team Plasma. Not much more can be said, so you’ll have to stay tuned for episodes if you’re willing to even watch it that is.

Reception for these seasons has been at an all time low. As I previously mentioned, fans have ceased to watch the series because of how “ludicrous” it has gotten. Many were beyond disappointed with the character, Brock, not returning this season. Some were already displeased with the Unova region and general characters as whole, causing them to care less for watching. Fans were also unhappy with the character changes as seen below. Although, some views on this series is somewhat bias, seeing how it has yet to be finished. Overall though, people are very upset.

The characters have taken somewhat of a “dramatic” change since they were last seen in prior series. If you have a look below, you’ll see the changes that have been made to some of their appearances.

Nurse Joy:
1imiq

Officer Jenny:
1imo2

Ash Ketchum:
1imxP

Taking a step back and glancing at the anime, it seems fairly stable. However, there are several bumps in the road, specifically towards the release of the newer series. Between characters to Pokémon, fans began to become less happy with the results the animated show had to offer. Thus the reason the series, as a whole, had its long, overdue decline.

What are your thoughts on the Pokémon anime series? Do you like it? Do you agree that it declined over the years? Do you still watch it? Which individual series do you like best? Worst? If you stopped watching, what is your reasoning behind doing so? Discuss.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I used to watch Pokémon before when Diamond and Pearl came along. Although I do admit that the new characters and Pokémon are amazingly awesome, but it just wasn't the Anime Pokémon that I used to know and love. Something of it just didn't worked out for me, so, I don't Anime Pokémon anymore.

I loved watching Original First Pokémon. It was very exciting and genuine to see Pokémon Trainers leave him and become to be a Top Trainer, Gym Leader, etc. Introducing Ash and Pikachu with Brock and Misty. Joining Ash in his adventures. Good Memories....^^

I also love to watch, Pokémon Advanced in Hoenn Region. Where Ash, Pikachu, and Brock start in a new adventure with some new Pokémon, new trainers, new gym leaders, and new friends! Such as May and her brother, Max.

Last edited:

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
Im a fan of the old school Pokemon. I liked it when Ash was on hos Johto journey with Brock and Misty catching all 150 pokemon(not the 600+ there are now) but Im partial to anything old school because my cheese is getting old and moldy.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I feel that it has. First off, they tried to, in essence, restart the series by trying to replicate Misty and Brock by using other gym leaders from that reason. Second (keep in mind, I've only seen a couple of episodes from this series, so I don't know the full extent of this, but) Jessie, James and Meowth seem much different from how they were through the rest of the seires. They're more serious and much less goofy than I'm used to them being. It seems too much like they tried to reboot the series, and it really isn't working.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yes, I do. Advanced Battle was the last season to really "wow" me in any way. Battle Frontier wasn't bad, but it had a noticeable decline in quality. After that, the series just fell into a slump. It's lost the charm it once had. When the show was in its prime, it focused on friendship and bonding with loved ones by showing the emotion behind the characters. Now any kind of vibe like that is shoved down our throats through dialogue. It also seems to try to focus way too much on the action in order to look cool rather than making the action sequences flow naturally with the story and letting them speak for themselves. It's as if I'm experiencing the Buu Saga of DBZ and all of GT all over again. Nothing's the same as it used to be.

univpark

Heart of Steel
I feel very strongly that the anime has declined. The original series, along with the Johto Journeys, were interesting and there was a sense of wonder as you saw new Pokemon. Having the same characters along had a nice sense of consistency, and I liked that. Themes flowed well with the plot, and dialogue wasn't overused, and the action fit in well.

These days, however, I feel like they're focusing more and more on the battles themselves than the Pokemon and friendships that were emphasized in the past. The battles today seem like they're being used more and more to make the show seem "cool", rather than showcase the bonds gained along the journey.

Ash also used to want to catch every Pokemon. Now, he's also focusing more on battling than that goal. Although, he's probably never going to catch them all at the rate he does it.

Aerauro67

That God of Yellow Foxes
Uh, yeah. I do think that there's been a decline in the show. At first, it seemed all cool and all, but ever since when Pokemon DP came about, things took a turn, especially when Dawn came into play. The show just didn't have much feeling into it in my opinion. When Pokemon BW came about, that just freaked me out knowing that Ash is still 10 years old!!! How is that possible?

Nowadays, I still watch it just for the heck of it (and to act out parts at random with someone who I am, as I am a man of many people). But my feelings to the show aren't that great anymore.

Good post until the end.

The only thing people are sick of is the writers hitting "reset" on Ash every time he hits a new region. (Or, in fact, keeping him as the main character in the first place...) I've heard nothing but good things about the Best Wishes saga. As for everything else, the show has always been "meh" and with over 700+ episodes, it's bound to get repetitive. The only thing that "declines" here is interest, not quality.

Honestly, go back and watch the first season. The dubbing is awful, the animation is sloppy, and the show is incredibly painful to watch.

I'm currently watching the Pokémon series and so far I'm at the beginning of the Johto Saga. When I compare the series to modern episodes (Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova)... I honestly don't think the series has declined at all. Sure the Latest series is a bit more serious then the others, but in no way do I think the series has gotten worse throughout 15 years.

Last edited:

Dan

Neat thread atticus, I felt somewhat saddened while reading it. I stopped watching pokemon bit before the advanced series... I think I watched a few of those episodes but didn't really like them. Although I think the shows was declining even back then. Why no more brock though, he was such a great lovable character. :'( I haven't felt this bad since they replaced him with....Tracy... that one time.

Nope. Some people hate change, and after 700+ episodes, 600 Pokemon, several video games, and being on the air for 15 years, the anime was bound to change at some point whether we liked it or not. Most people are annoyed when the show that they've grown up with has made several drastic changes. Little do they realize is that this must be done to garner new fans to the series; using the same formula will eventually grow stale at some point. More often than not, it's a scenario where the viewer outgrows the content of the anime and it no longer interests them. The Pokemon Company or whoever's in charge has taken note of this when applying changes. Interesting to note is that the anime also changes to reflect new additions to the games.

Conversely, some fans believe that the anime has not changed very much at all. I can't even begin to fathom their meaning behind this. As I've previously stated the anime has undergone a massive overhaul in a variety of areas. In addition to aesthetic changes in moves, characters, and places, the series has also taken strides in evolving the overall battle experience. New moves have been introduced, and most notably, new Pokemon have been added.

Some areas of the anime remain tried and true, however, such as episode progression. Most episodes consist of Ash and friends meeting the character of the day, helping them out, and moving on to the next town. Those episodes essentially serve as filler until Ash reaches the tournament of the respective region he's in at the time, and after he reaches the tournament where he loses, placing in the top x. Even this area of the anime has seen a subtle change, but perhaps it is not enough to appease its fanbase...

In a nutshell, I guess there are some facets of the anime that has undergone many unfavorable changes. While in other areas, the show remains stagnant. Each end of the spectrum is being pulled back and forth by the creators of the anime like a game of tug-of-war, as it can't seem to appease all fans. In my opinion, the fanbase whom are in favor of change should continue to enjoy it, while the those who dread change should just accept the fact that they've outgrown the show. In whichever case, I am and will likely always be a fan of the series, changes and all...

When i was a kid, i looked forward to new Pokemon episodes every Saturday. Those were the good days of the anime series because it was new and exciting. The first episode i ever watched was the great race and it got me involved with the rest of the anime. I was a fan of the anime until the advanced series, that is when the series started to die down. I did watch a few episodes but i wasn't as enthusiastic about it as i was when watching the earlier seasons. They did improve on a few things but once you stripped that down to the basics it was usually the same old stuff.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I wouldn't say that it's bad -- just repetitive. Ultimately, it's not really the show but the viewers watching it. I watched Pokemon when I was very young. By the time the D/P generation came around, the anime became so repetitive and lackluster that I just stopped watching it. It's more or less the same thing every episode, and after watching a few hundred of those, you're bound to drift away.

The newer generations might have their first taste of Pokemon int he form of the Best Wishes series. To them, as far as we know, it might be like us watching the original series for the first time. To put it frankly, not much has changed about the Pokemon anime, and the only reason why so many fans left was because of that reason. At least, that's how I see it.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
I do not like that series anymore. Period. They got rid of Brock. The series is just getting kind of annoying now, and repetitive like Nocturne said. I liked it Gen 1-3, but after that it sort of faded away. They replaced BROCK. And, they made Ash's companion this time a girl who is supposed to be powerful, but turned her into a little girl. It just doesn't work anymore. To be honest, a better anime probably would've been an anime of Pokemon special, but I think that came out too late.

The series just got boring, and Ash still isn't very good after all these years. I don't even like Team Rocket anymore.

... I'm ranting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom