• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Do You Feel the Pokémon Anime Has Had Its Decline?

As much as I love pokemon... I HATE THE NEW SERIES!!! now, don't get me wrong, I LOVED the show when I was a kid, but the new seasons are just plain bad!! Of course, that's just my opinion. I think they should still have it on TV, because I think it's good for younger kids to get into it nowadays, but I really wouldn't mind seeing it go...

Mido

Version 1
One thing I'd like to point out is the development of Ash as a character. There's the old Ash, who was cocky and an upstart, who would rush into situations too quickly and be annoying. The Ash in the later seasons is more mellow and mature. (more or less). This is another factor that tuned out Pokemon for me. I preferthe old Ash, not only because I grew up with hims, but it tends to make the whole cast look better as a whole, as Brock and Misty foil Ash's persona.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I truly think the anime is slowly meeting its demise. The characters aren't as interesting, almost all of the older characters are gone, the plot is repetitive, the Pokémon in gen 5 are a bit blah, & in general, the anime isn't as loved as it was in season 1. I watch the anime all the way up to D & P. I watched some of D & P, but it wasn't the same feeling for me.

Nine-tailed Fox

FUS RO DAH!!!!
Definitely yes... I've seen every episode up until halfway through D/P and just can't get back into it. I know that the anime needed a change, but that didn't have to involve cutting Brock. Brock honestly made the show for me. B/W has the worst actors for the Pokémon, the worst characters (I can't stand the gym leaders from B&W...), etc. Repetitive storyline, bringing back Dawn (ugh...), and more just kill it for me.

Last edited:

hylianordonlink

The Hero Of Ordon
The first season was one of the best. The seasons after weren't that bad but after Sinnoh it became tiring. O found myself skipping most episodes other than major plot points and gym battles. The show may be able to recover if they don't use ash and maybe give a new character for the viewers to look at.(But that could backfire and destroy the whole series as well)

I can't add much more than what many others here have said: it's really viewer interest that has declined, not the show's quality. I haven't watched much beyond whatever seasons include Generation III, but what I have seen is like looking at a brick wall to see which bricks stand out more. Each episode is essentially more of the same:

- Ash and friends meet someone who's lost all hope/is a hopeless case/is a moron/just someone who needs moral correcting
- Ash and friends help them/help the people the new person in question is going to hurt
- Ash sheds a few tears and proves the power of friendship can overcome anything (wait, is that Tea from Yu-Gi-Oh?)
- The person who's lost all hope/is a hopeless case/is a moron/just someone who needs moral correcting learns the error of their ways/is shown up by Ash
- Ash and friends depart and head for the next Character of the Day, promising they'll return someday (they never do)

I haven't watched any of the new episodes, but does that just about sum them up?

I actually welcome things like character design changes and mental maturation, as that helps a series from growing stale. The Pokemon anime had no choice but to grow stale anyway because each episode looked increasingly familiar.

Still, it's probably entertaining a new generation of viewers, so I doubt it's going to falter anytime soon. Even if they lose interest (and they probably will), another generation will rise up and take their place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom