• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do you feel lonely without companions?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Link hasn't had the best companion in all games and yet in botw, when there was suddenly no companion, do you feel lonely when you play botw? Or were you ok with it?

Did you miss Navi, Fi, Ezlo, Midna?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Botw does feel a little quiet without a companion, but I almost feel like that's the point. Botw has this almost empty, lonely soft-apocolpyse vibe to it. Having a companion would be tough bc then you end up breaking the silence of it. You'd need to contend with whether they know Link's past and having story significance. There's also the fact that there's no specific objectives that need to be completed in any order so there wouldn't be any information that needs to be conveyed. I enjoy having a companion character, but having one in botw I feel would have taken away from the game. The whole game is about discovering things on your own and at your own pace. If they were to bring in a new companion for totk I would be down for that, though.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Botw has this almost empty, lonely soft-apocolpyse vibe to it. Having a companion would be tough bc then you end up breaking the silence of it.
Oooh never thought of it that way. It is indeed true. It reminds me of this meme images.jpeg-191.jpg

Each incarnation had a specific purpose that they were destined for but botw Link simply acts as a royal guard and in botw he just woke up, when all hope is lost

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Tbh I kinda think of the Champions as companions. They're able to give you a hand on your journey, and you hear from them every once in a while. Plus to add in with what Oocoo was saying, rescuing their souls fits in with the whole discovery thing.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
BotW was an intentionally lonely game, and I respect it for that, but I still dearly missed having a companion along for the ride. I would have loved to be able to form optional parties with an NPC or two while you're running around in the wild. The AI for something like that exists thanks to Yunobo and the Vah Rudania mission, so I'd really like to see that expanded on in TotK, which shouldn't necessarily have to be so lonely anymore.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
BotW was an intentionally lonely game, and I respect it for that, but I still dearly missed having a companion along for the ride. I would have loved to be able to form optional parties with an NPC or two while you're running around in the wild. The AI for something like that exists thanks to Yunobo and the Vah Rudania mission, so I'd really like to see that expanded on in TotK, which shouldn't necessarily have to be so lonely anymore.
Zelda-- Oh wait.

At any rate, at least 6 main Zeldas lack a companion of any sort. And of those, only a few have been useful and likeable, and 2 of those games have optional companions that aren't with you every second.

It was lonely, but a good type of lonely. One that you could feel like you could go at your own pace. Take your time, and enjoy the scenery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom