• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you expect a(n) movie/anime adaptation to exactly follow the book/mang(hw)a?

Do you like deviations from the original source?

• Total voters

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
No definitely no,
I liked Harry Potter movies much more than the book
Maze Runner movie #1 adaptation was also great.
Doraemon anime is better than the manga
Tokyo Ghoul re is hated for a stupid reason for not following Manga.
Sufficient seasons have not been released yet for me to decide whether Tower of God anime or Manhwa is better.

Anime I haven't completed yet noticed the same issue:
Full Metal Alchemist(MAL rating 8.21) vs Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (MAL rating 9.33)
Attack on Titan (haven't read the manga yet).
Fruits basket

I appreciate the production team & the script writers effort to present something new. So what's the harm in deviating from the original? I'm always excited to see something new.

I'd say it depends on how well the original material fits into the story. You mention FMA and FMA: Brotherhood. I prefer the overarching narrative of the latter and the culmination of some amazing fights in the last 15 episodes. So this was an example of sticking it to the source material being better. But I do also like original content. I know a lot of people were disappointed with the anime original ending for Akame ga Kill but I found it satisfying.

Writing for one is not the same as the other so there's always going to be differences, just just the nature of things.

But purposeful deviation, the only reason most anike go off the beaten path is because the anime takes over the manga and either has to force in filler or go its own way.

The pull of an anime adapted from a manga is to see the story in motion, so the willful act of purposefully deviating from the source material isn't one I'm totally on board with. The original FMA did it well though, so it does sometimes pay off.

Though I usually watch anime that don't have source material so that everything is fresh.

I think people tend to get frustrated when it's a mix of both.

If they decide to do an original story that's fine. If they follow the original then that's fine.

When they start following the story then veer off & do their own thing, then that's when people get frustrated.

Personally not bothered either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom