• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Ever Mistakenly Hear Sound Effects IRL?

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
Do you? A couple days ago I heard my father say "fire" and I heard the engineer from TF2 yell "FIRE". My father did say it in a weird way too.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Believe it or not, I've heard the Rupee sound (from OoT), gunshots (CoD MW3), and the Mario coin sound (Mario games) IRL. In my head, kinda, but IRL. Turns out a majority of the time was just my head, though I could've sworn it was real. O_O

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Yeah. It happens all the time with ringtones and text notifications. It hardly ever comes from inside my head, unless I'm remembering some moments of gameplay, such as when Link opens a chest to get an item, or Mario jumps up into a block to retrieve the coin(s). But there are very few instances where a real life noise gives off the exact tone of a sound effect.

This happens to me all the time. It's nearly ridiculous. Whenever I approach a sewer I hear the pipe sound from Super Mario Bros. and have the urge to jump in. Banks are filled with treasure chests and the rupee sound comes to mind. The worst offender, however, is definitely the Portal franchise. Whenever I approach a machine it seems to hum and insist that it's still alive. Gets me every time.

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
No, but now I wish I could. Maybe not mistakenly, but it'd be cool to open the Mailbox and hear the chest opening "Da na na na!" (Great, now I wanna rig my mailbox to do that XD)

Yeah. It happens all the time with ringtones and text notifications. It hardly ever comes from inside my head, unless I'm remembering some moments of gameplay, such as when Link opens a chest to get an item, or Mario jumps up into a block to retrieve the coin(s). But there are very few instances where a real life noise gives off the exact tone of a sound effect.

I think you just GONE crazy. :lol: Spyro the dragon boy. :lol:

I always hear my name. I swear I have a ghost following me. :lol:

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
I hear the sound of the Smash Ball breaking, and occasionally Link's grunts. "Heyaahhh." The scariest one was one time I saw some tall dude, kinda scary looking, and the first thing I thought of was Batman: "Don't lie to me, I just cleaned the blood from the last informant off my suit."

Well, there was one time in Health class last year that I heard Navi say, "Hey, listen!" But, I honestly think it was because I was wearing a Legend of Zelda shirt that day and it was probably just some kid messing with me. Because when I sat upright in response to it, there was snickering. ;/ It was most-likely a sound effect on a phone or something. Not very nice of them to do that, but... oh well.

There were times when I've gotten very little sleep where I'd hear sound effects in the distance. Most of them were nonsensical babble, but I distinctly hear a sound that goes "Tsssssssssst!" on a regular basis. I'd liken the sound to a cross between a bomb fuse and air being released from a soda can. I used to get so paranoid because of this, and I once thought I was entering the prodromal stage of schizophrenia. Luckily, that was not the case. Heh heh...

I've also heard loud whistles that were clearly directed at me on numerous occasions; although, I think I may have a secret admirer. (lol) Other than that, I normally hear videogame noises after extended gaming sessions, as if I were still playing.

Yeh at times, especially if am playing a certain game a lot. Whats worse in the first year or so of playing WoW i kept having dreams about WoW...so sad xD

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
There's only once I can remember this happening. My friends and I go to this Pokémon League for the card game every Saturday, and a while ago, I was buying a new pack of cards when I heard the Zelda puzzle-solved chime. I paused and looked around and asked my friends if they heard it, and no one seemed sure of what I was talking about. I have no idea what happened. XD It sounded pretty real, though, so I don't think it was in my head. Maybe someone was playing a DS Zelda nearby or something (since a lot of people play video games at our league), although I didn't hear any music...

Fig

The Altruist
I usually hear the Coin sound effect (Super Mario), Extra Life sound effect (Super Mario), Ring sound effect (Sonic The Hedgehog), Rupee sound effect (The Legend of Zelda), and the Pokéball capture sequence ( (Pokémon) Starting from throwing a Pokéball to the music when a player captures a Pokémon).

octorok74

TETTAC
I hear the Achievement Unlocked sound all the time. My mind adds in I guess when something looks like it would be achievement worthy. It actually bothers me a lot, because my gamerscore doesn't increase from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom