• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you ever get chills when listening to music?

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
So I thought everyone experienced frisson (chills) when listening to songs, but apparently anywhere between 50-86% of the population does. So, do you??
Today I got like chills running down my head all the way down to my back in waves from a splatoon 1 song, felt super cool. Whenever I get chills from a song I know it's awesome, and most likely I save it to my library and listen to it often. The weird thing is that when I go back and intentionally try to get chills, it usually doesn't work out that way lol

anyways here's that splatoon song I was talking about. I got chills specifically at 0:40 - 1:05. I love how the vocals switch and the clean electronic sounds are contrasted with the harsher-sounding squid vocals. <3

also I got chills from this masterpiece too awhile ago. I love love love the quiet whisper singing that increases and then everything gets intense and stuff. Also it reminds of metal so <3 <3

So yeah, do you get chills too?

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Yep
I also experience ASMR
Personally I think everyone has the capacity to experience frisson and ASMR and they just havent found the proper trigger yet

Nice!
I haven't really messed with ASMR stuff. The food and whispering noises and stuff like that just don't really appeal to me like music does. I don't think I'll like it, but honestly I just haven't tried it yet. Maybe if it was like nature sounds of something, but I don't know if that counts as ASMR or just meditation ambiance.

I do! There's a lot of reasons in a lot of different genres that I might get chills, but there's no way I'll be able to talk about it all in one post. I think there was a similar thread awhile ago where I may have went more in depth, but I'm just gonna leave this track here.

ok that song's awesome. love it
I didn't mean to make a repeat thread. I don't really describe my experience with frisson like goosebumps so that's why I didn't see it when I searched for any similar threads like this one.

I don't know how similar this is to darnknut's thread of songs that give you goosebumps, maybe there is a big difference but I think my answer to this is basically the same as that thread

oh man I didn't know that thread existed. Yeah that's basically what this thread's about. Except I don't really feel goosebumps as much as this sensation that travels in waves around my head and spine, sometimes reaching my feet. But it's talking about the same thing, it can just be goosebumps or like chills.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Oh yeah, all the time! I can think of so many examples, far too many to even begin listing them here, so I'll give the most recent example which was this morning during the killer sax solo in Big Blue from MK8, the jazz guy in me as well as the developing saxophone aficionado I've started becoming can't possibly hear that entire piece without grinning.

NastyLesley

Goth catboy thingy
I get chills all the time from particular songs and even tear up sometimes. One of my favorite metal albums, "The Crimson Idol" by W.A.S.P has this effect on me in spades. The album tells the story of a boy who runs away from home and off to the big city to become a rock star before realizing that it isn't all he had hoped. It's quite a powerful tragedy and I'd recommend anyone with a taste for metal to read the accompanying story and then listen to the album front-to-back before reading this as I'm about to spoil the hell out of this. Fair warning though, it's a rather dark story and employs some language that folks might take issue with so proceed with caution.

The album ends with a grand and heartbreaking 10-minute finale titled "The Great Misconceptions of Me" that repeats melodies and lyrics from the previous songs on the album but spun in a new way that conveys the sadness and regret of the story's protagonist, Jonathan Steele. Several of these lyrics give me no shortage of goose flesh. Just to give one example, one of the earlier songs on the album, "The Gypsy Meets the Boy" sees Jonathan having his fortune told and the tragedy of his fame predicted. He is told:

"Do you see what I see? Be careful to choose
Be careful what you wish for 'cause it might come true."

The tone of this song here is very ominous and mysterious but when this scene is called back to in the finale we get an anguished Jonathan desperately pleading with the audience:

"And remember me when it comes your time to choose"
Before a sorrowful scream of:
"Careful what you wish for, it might come true."

Being an obsessed fan of the album it's from (and the band for that matter), "The Great Misconceptions of Me" absolutely haunts me.

On the more uplifting side of things, the song "Let There Be Light" by Stryper has this soaring chorus that chills me right to the bone. The Judeo-Christian mythological imagery created by the lyrics works to extraordinary effect, it feels as though you're witnessing the birth of the universe in all its majesty exactly as the song conveys. It's truly a beautiful metal masterpiece.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I get chills all the time from particular songs and even tear up sometimes. One of my favorite metal albums, "The Crimson Idol" by W.A.S.P has this effect on me in spades. The album tells the story of a boy who runs away from home and off to the big city to become a rock star before realizing that it isn't all he had hoped. It's quite a powerful tragedy and I'd recommend anyone with a taste for metal to read the accompanying story and then listen to the album front-to-back before reading this as I'm about to spoil the hell out of this. Fair warning though, it's a rather dark story and employs some language that folks might take issue with so proceed with caution.

The album ends with a grand and heartbreaking 10-minute finale titled "The Great Misconceptions of Me" that repeats melodies and lyrics from the previous songs on the album but spun in a new way that conveys the sadness and regret of the story's protagonist, Jonathan Steele. Several of these lyrics give me no shortage of goose flesh. Just to give one example, one of the earlier songs on the album, "The Gypsy Meets the Boy" sees Jonathan having his fortune told and the tragedy of his fame predicted. He is told:

"Do you see what I see? Be careful to choose
Be careful what you wish for 'cause it might come true."

The tone of this song here is very ominous and mysterious but when this scene is called back to in the finale we get an anguished Jonathan desperately pleading with the audience:

"And remember me when it comes your time to choose"
Before a sorrowful scream of:
"Careful what you wish for, it might come true."

Being an obsessed fan of the album it's from (and the band for that matter), "The Great Misconceptions of Me" absolutely haunts me.

On the more uplifting side of things, the song "Let There Be Light" by Stryper has this soaring chorus that chills me right to the bone. The Judeo-Christian mythological imagery created by the lyrics works to extraordinary effect, it feels as though you're witnessing the birth of the universe in all its majesty exactly as the song conveys. It's truly a beautiful metal masterpiece.

WASP kicks ass. And "The Great Misconceptions of Me" might be their best song they've ever written.

As far as myself when it comes to getting chills with music, it has to truly be exceptional music, namely, the performances must be exceptional, and the takes we hear on the record are once in a lifetime takes.

One example of such a performance is Simone Simons' performance on Epica's song "Tides of Time."

I love listening to great sopranos, and when she absolutely belts at full voice, I had goosebumps for days.

Obviously, such performances don't happen often, but when they do, they're that much more special.

Another thing that incites chills is songs that are quite dark, and the music matches perfectly, and if they're also once in a lifetime performances, that's even better.

A similar effect happens on Slayer's song "Angel of Death," which is an extremely dark song, being about Josef Mengele's experiments at Auschwitz, but the performances on that song are absolutely stellar all around. Well, except maybe for the guitar solos, because Slayer solos are just pure chaos and I prefer more melodic solos.

A thing that makes me grin ear to ear are giant, massive choruses that hit you right in the gut. Rhapsody are absolute chads at writing big, massive, catchy choruses.

That's a chorus so manly, it'll put hair on your chest.

And as if Rhapsody didn't need a reason to be more awesome, they did a duet with Sir Christopher Lee on their song, "The Magic of the Wizard's Dream."

Of course I love Fabio Lione's tenor voice, but Sir Christopher Lee was the standout performance for me. His powerful bass voice, and his commanding presence really adds depth when they both land on the chorus.

And as a guitarist, I'd be lying if I said I don't like hearing someone absolutely kill it on the instrument. Lately, it's been Marty Friedman's playing that really gives me the goosebumps.

Marty's solo is why this is my favorite Megadeth song. It's so awesome, so unique, and done in one take, and it was done. There was no need for overdubs, no need to improve it anymore. And takes like that just make me grin ear to ear.

Last edited:

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I do, but eventually that wears off from the song. Then you'll find another song that gives you goosebumps at some point, and then your brain gets used to that after a while and it wears off again. It can come back of course, if you manage to connect certain parts of the song to a memory or a feeling. At least in my experience

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I do, but eventually that wears off from the song. Then you'll find another song that gives you goosebumps at some point, and then your brain gets used to that after a while and it wears off again. It can come back of course, if you manage to connect certain parts of the song to a memory or a feeling. At least in my experience
I think that's because in general songs are supposed to be participatory in nature, and all songs have a top line, a main motif or idea that guides you through the piece.

That's when it hits you emotionally. Whether you're in awe of a technical song, or it's an earworm, or it just hits you right in the gut, that's how you know songs are really intended to be stories experienced in a way that the songwriter intended you to experience it.

And for some, it doesn't land the way the writer intended, and for others, it struck them hard, and that's okay, because music is sorta subjective in that sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom