• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Ever Find It Predictable?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Oot 3d was my first zelda game, and while I enjoyed it I struggled my way through the game. It took me eons to figure out how to contend with the different enemy types, items, and puzzles. By the time I reached ww, my 9th zelda game, it was almost too easy. I need a bomb here. Don't let the beamos see me. I'll need a boomerang to solve this puzzle. Shoot the crystal. So, do you ever find it too repetitive? It's nice to have a formula, but there's also a point where circling a boss until they attack and you can stab their eye gets a little predictable. How do you think ninty can deal with this without compromising what makes zelda zelda?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I think the predictability is why they deviated so hard w/ breath of the wild, since certainly by the mid 2000s, zelda was hitting a lot of the same beats over and over again

I never minded it personally, but I think nintendo has already tried to deviate away from it, or at least I think so, hard to say when the latest game was 5 years ago

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I definitely want them to shake things up now and then. BotW had some great boss fights because they don't really have the "smack it in the eye three times and its dead". They feel like real fights. And the physics puzzles were really fun to play with using the runes. So, they're taking steps in the right direction. Going back to Link's Awakening on the switch was hard to do, but then when I played Skyward Sword HD, it didn't bother me as much there because of how fun the combat was, so like... there are multiple ways to mitigate it. SSHD and BotW had fantastic item usage, so continue to do what they got right, I guess, and the puzzles won't feel so gimmicky like they used to.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I definitely want them to shake things up now and then. BotW had some great boss fights because they don't really have the "smack it in the eye three times and its dead". They feel like real fights. And the physics puzzles were really fun to play with using the runes. So, they're taking steps in the right direction. Going back to Link's Awakening on the switch was hard to do, but then when I played Skyward Sword HD, it didn't bother me as much there because of how fun the combat was, so like... there are multiple ways to mitigate it. SSHD and BotW had fantastic item usage, so continue to do what they got right, I guess, and the puzzles won't feel so gimmicky like they used to.
Do they feel like real fights though? Ironically they all have eyes that are weak points

Mikey the Moblin

They do, because you aren't forced to only deal damage to the eye. That type of fight is annoying, and SS did have its share of them despite my praise in my previous post.
It depends on your definition of a real fight because only thunderblight was remotely interesting to fight, the rest were just pincushions

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It depends on your definition of a real fight because only thunderblight was remotely interesting to fight, the rest were just pincushions
Another good example was the original Hyrule Warriors where you couldn't scratch bosses outside of the weakpoint gauge, and you needed to use items to expose them. That was a horrible way to stage a fight in a fast paced action game. Was not fun to fight bosses at all. If the only way you can damage a boss is to first use an item to make them hurtable only at the opportune moments, you're not fighting something, you're playing a waiting game.

Mikey the Moblin

Another good example was the original Hyrule Warriors where you couldn't scratch bosses outside of the weakpoint gauge, and you needed to use items to expose them. That was a horrible way to stage a fight in a fast paced action game. Was not fun to fight bosses at all. If the only way you can damage a boss is to first use an item to make them hurtable only at the opportune moments, you're not fighting something, you're playing a waiting game.
Is there a difference between using an item at the right moment vs something like dark souls where you have to wait for them to open themselves up to attack so that you uh don't get blasted

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
They do, because you aren't forced to only deal damage to the eye. That type of fight is annoying, and SS did have its share of them despite my praise in my previous post.
I actually kind of like that style of boss battle. It's not just stab em a lot, you have to think and find a way to work them to the point where you can strike. It challenges you a lot more than just surviving longer style battles. It can be a problem tho. I was fighting a boss in st earlier, noticed the weak point immediately. First form, circled them until they charged, then attack. Second phase, enemies I know can become bombs, fire them at boss. Defeated. I would take a sword skill blight-type challenge over that anyway, because it's still a challenge.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Is there a difference between using an item at the right moment vs something like dark souls where you have to wait for them to open themselves up to attack so that you uh don't get blasted
I haven't played Souls, can you still do moderate damage in between the openings or are they only hurtable after they leave themselves open? Cuz like, my issue is it doesn't feel like you're making progress in the fight when you're just sitting there blocking until you find a chance to attack (or use the item you just got a few minutes ago before it stops being relevant the rest of the game). I would wanna be dipping in and out and stuff. Monster Hunter would be a good example of that done well.

Mikey the Moblin

I haven't played Souls, can you still do moderate damage in between the openings or are they only hurtable after they leave themselves open? Cuz like, my issue is it doesn't feel like you're making progress in the fight when you're just sitting there blocking until you find a chance to attack (or use the item you just got a few minutes ago before it stops being relevant the rest of the game). I would wanna be dipping in and out and stuff. Monster Hunter would be a good example of that done well.
You're welcome to attack them whenever you want
But you're gonna have a bad time if you do

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom