• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you enjoy video games with alternate endings ?

Alternate endings in video games can give some games replay value and present more content for the price, but they can also be an absolute chore.

Do you enjoy video games with alternate endings and do you put the effort in to see them all?

Or do you prefer games with clear canonical endings?

If they're done well and offer a new perspective to the game, then I think they're pretty interesting. I'm a broken record potato who doesn't play enough games to use a better example than Hollow Knight, but that game is like exactly what I look for in a game handling multiple endings. The first ending of the game was extremely conclusive, it wraps up everything well, and would have been totally acceptable as the only ending of the game. But there is some additional stuff you can do for the ending everyone considers the "true" ending, and you learn a LOT more context about what is going on to have caused the events of the game, and it adds onto the last ending, but concludes it just as well. But, like, I for example, I was not impressed with BotW's "alternate/true" ending, nor what it's requirements were. Its requirements didn't really seem relevant at all to the ending/outcome, and was just there for the purpose of having a different ending.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It depends on how much I like the game generally and how many endings there are.

Something like Dishonored is a joy to play whether you go quietly or bathe in the hot blood of your sundered foes, so playing it multiple times to get different endings was great. Dishonored 2 was even better in this regard because it added the choice of protagonist which, thematically, gives the game four different stories (arguably six if you want to go a little deeper).

Some games, though, just have too many different outcomes. Not necessarily in terms of 'main quest' but with regard to side-quests, optional stuff, and all that. Games like Arcanum have so many different outcomes to so many different situations that each playthrough could be unique, but going through again and again to see them all would be exhausting. It's a point in those games' favour, but it can be a bit frustrating for someone like me who wants to know all outcomes as soon as possible.

Visual Novels are a bit funny with this kind of thing because so many let you fast-forward through dialogue you've already seen, so going through again to get different endings can feel pretty perfunctory rather than fun.

Overall, though, I think alternate endings can be pretty fun and I do like them, just as long as seeing all or most of them isn't a massive slog.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
It depends on for me.... In one way, I really like that there are different paths that a story can take, but in another way I find it very annoying as I'm a bit of a completionist and would like to see all that a game has to offer, but there simply isn't enough time for that...

An example for me is Dragon Age: Origins. There are so many choices in that game and so many playable options that changes parts of the story. I've played through it twice (first as a dwarven noble, then as a city elf), but to have experienced it through all different character options, I'd have to play it at least 5 more times. It's been a couple of years since that last time, so maybe will do a third one if I can find some time ^^

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I prefer games with clear-cut endings. I really don't like having to go back and start the whole game over just to get something I missed. I prefer it when I can go back and get anything at any point when I choose. Games that have missable content, especially ones that lead to other endings, frustrate me.

I like alternate endings if pulled off correctly. They need to be in games where your actions have consequences throughout the game, not just one choice right before the end that changes things. Bastion had an alternate ending but it was a result of a choice made right at the end. It just doesn't feel when utilised like that in my opinion.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I think alternate endings is a given in games that are purely choice based. If you have multitude of choices, for example that Life is Strange 2 had 7 endings just makes sense since the entire game is about choice. With most VN's too, it's a genre that often boils down to choices, so your choices should naturally dictate the ending. Undertale is another example of a game that really SHOULD have alternate endings, by design.

I think having alternate endings to show what may have been is always fascinating but if a game has a sequel then having a canon ending is good as well.
Chrono trigger for example is great in showing you what the decisions you made lead to but isn't so exclusive that you need to replay the game immediately to find out what the other options are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom