• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you enjoy urban legends?

From mysterious photographs and missing people, to old legends of unknown creatures, beings from folklore and bad omens, to seemingly supernatural events captured on footage that have yet to be dubunked and cursed websites...

Do you enjoy reading up on an exploring urban legends?

Do they intrigue you to learn more or do you leave that kind of stuff well enough alone?

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
I love them. It's especially fun to help invent new ones.

Some ratty butterfly-style wings, a body-covering black costume with red lenses, scaring people high on drugs late at night... Poof! Instant urban legend!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I know about a few, like in Alton, IL. there is an old native american legend that there once existed a strange flying creature that they called the Piasa bird. It had the face of a man but had deer antlers, it had a beard, and the body of dragon.

The legend goes it had a desire to only eat human flesh. Many warrors tried to kill the bird but failed. Eventually, through divine guidence the cheif of the Illini tribe gathered 50 warriors and they were able to kill the Piasa Bird. This is very much an urban legend, it never gained widespread recognition, clearly, because no other native american tribes claimed to see a Piasa Bird in their territory. And to this day it remains urban because it isn't a well known legend with the likes of things like Bigfoot sightings, or a better comparison might be the Loch Ness monster.

I think there are tons of urban legends, even more modern ones, but because they are associated with communities sometimes they don't get widely spread, and it's those legends I don't hear about and probably never will because I don't have time to hunt down the urban legends associated with other cities. I know about my own cities' urban legends and there is even an urban legend I kind of started with friends.

In the neighborhood I grew up in there was a middle aged couple that lived at the end of the street I lived on. When we walked home from school we would pass the house. One day on the news I heard that the wife murdered her husband with an axe, there were more details I missed, such as that they had seperated and he was living in a mobile home in a trailer park, she actually mudered him there. Instead I started telling my friends that I heard the murder happened in the house at the end of the road, so from that point on we would refer to that as the "Axe house". It even got a little more wild and we started to say she was into voodoo.

I think another reason many urban legends don't get widespread recognition is that there are probably a lot of similar stories among various communities. There is probably an Axe house or similar equivalent in just about every suburb.

Oh, most certainly, dear! Even before I embarked on the path of knowledge, I was always keenly aware of and taken by urban legends and the menagerie of curious and inexplicable tales and claims that abound in human culture. Utterances of 'phantoms' and 'monsters' and the phantasmagorical reality seemingly adjacent to the mundane everyday are tantalizing as the bright lights of a city... and fittingly it would be that such undercurrents of uncouth happenings and tales of fantastic and terrifying beings and encounters should run parallel and beneath the familiar geography of our daily lives...

Sightings of various "cryptids" and in particular the genera of 'Mothman' encounters and the like are of particular interest, as are owls -- the sighting of which and their messages likely a related phenomenon -- as they have important bearing on our lives and the syncromystic machinery of reality. There is much to be learnt and studied of the powerful messages relayed us by these twilight creatures, slipping through the cracks between worlds. Oh, truly such an endearing and exciting topic. The omen of moths, owls and crows tend to accompany such legends, if one has the eyes to see them...

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
When I think of urban legends I think of stuff like Marilyn Manson supposedly having a rib removed but no seriously that kind of stuff is fun, but I’ve never paid much attention to it even as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom