• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you enjoy time limits in games?

Mint Elv

Fish!
Depending on the game I'm fine with it. Like games where your character is limited on a time, it's nice since it adds effect, but other times it can be annoying and unnecessary. It depends on the reason and the atmosphere of the game for me.

Lone_Garurumon

Standing Out
Another game series I thought of that does it well, the Super Sonic final battles in Sonic Games. Since you're not limited by some arbitrary cosmic force, but by your own ability to maintain your power, and you can always buy yourself more time by grabbing rings, so it rarely feels like you're being pushed too hard.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
They're about as good a means of forcing players to be efficient as any other in their own right. In some cases I'd say games like Katamari only work because they have a time limit to give a goal and a challenge with skills to learn to an otherwise sandboxy and, frankly, gimmicky game. I suppose sometimes putting a time limit can be redundant, I've seen that argument made with some Mario games.

Majora's is nothing special beyond being diegetic in a somewhat unique way. That kind of thing doesn't matter to me at all honestly. If anything it results in a sidequest system so annoying even Nintendo was ok with changing it.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I'm half and half. I enjoy the time limits if it's like, do this or the world ends, or do this before it's too late. Giving me a time limit to clear a stage (Sonic Adventure 2 [most Mission 4s]) I just hate, when would I ever need to go so fast I miss something interesting or overlook something I need for that A rank?
The 100 second stages in some Mario games I can do without.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't. I'm all over the map on this one, actually.

Majora's Mask did something VERY right with the clock. It was always there, and always posed a threat, but it was not a great threat. Just because you could not finish a dungeon in Majora's Mask in time, did not mean that you'd lose the dungeon item (If you happened to get it). Games like Mario and SOnic pose almost no thread with their time limits, because (for example) in Sonic it's 10 frickin' minutes long. They are like 2 minute levels at most usually...

One of my more popular Mario Maker levels was one where it had a 10 second time limit. It was where if you messed up a lot, you wouldn't even get to see the flag. If you barely messed up, you'd see it, but not be able to win, and if you did ANYTHING microscopically wrong (assuming your mistakes were only microscopic instead of big), you'd actually touch the flag when the time ran out, making you lose. It's short and sweet. The idea of having a microscopic mistake costing you your whole level brings kaizo levels to mind, but it's ten seconds long, so you could keep trying a lot and not get too discouraged. Another thing, is that it brings a good mix of luck and skill to the table: there's the luck of what you do, but the skill is you developing new ideas of how to beat the clock and win by a literal microsecond, and believe me when I say microsecond. That is a good use of the clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom