• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you enjoy time limits in games?

Mario and Sonic have tiners of doom, Resident Evil and Metroid almost always have a timed escape sequence and games like Persona 5 are just one giant time attack.

But do you like timers in games?

Do you enjoy Persona 5 but hate that the whole thing is constantly counting down?

Did Majora's Mask and Lightning Returns stress you with their timers?

Do Mario and Sonic put you too much under pressure with their timers?

Do you make more mistakes against the clock?

What are your views on timed sequences in games?

It depends on the game. Some games do time limits well and other games don't.

Games that do time timits well
Persona 5 - Pain in the ass but it's good. It really defines the game and gives you that sense of urgency and makes you choose what you do in game. You can't just mindlessly grind to over level yourself because of the time contraints.
Super Mario Maker - Only a few stages have made use of the timer well. My WarioWare Inc stages did this. In those stages the only way to die is do run out of time. Though making it to the end is harder than it seems as it's not straight forward at all, and in typical WarioWare fashion you have to work out how to get to the next area with zero instructions on how to do so. The timer has the potential to be used really effectively here.
Good 4X games. Civilisation and Master of Orion 2 are good examples of this. Makes all of your choices more urgent and have more meaning.
Sim City - These games do time well. You really feel like you are progressing through the years when playing this.
Majora's Mask - An idea executed very well but at times I did feel like I had to semi-speed run the 4 dungeons to get them done in time.

Games that do time limits poorly.
Super Mario 3D World - I want to explore each stage to it's fullest but I can't because of the timer so I have to rush and hope I don't miss any of the secrets.
2D Mario games and 2D Sonic games - For the most part the time limits are so long that they don't ever become an issue.

funnier6

Courage~
Lemme see games that made great use of timers

Halo,
All metroid games that use it,
Majoras Mask,

Any game where the timer makes you feel like you've GOT to do whatever needs to be done, in a high stakes way.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I would have to say no, I don't.

It's very stressful. In fact, one of the reason I like turn-based JRPGs is because of the fact that they require no timing of any kind. I mean, it's easier to deal with the use of abilities requiring a certain timing than it is to deal with a time limit.

I generally like not having to worry about a clock running out while I'm doing something. It doesn't ruin a good game, but I also don't feel it makes anything better. It basically just forces you to get faster and faster at doing the same task, and punishes you for a less-than-perfect performance. It's a cheap way of adding difficulty and stressing the player out, IMO.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Generally no. However I do in Majoras Mask. Without the calamity clock ticking down I don't think the game would give such a feeling of urgency or sense of impending doom which is unique for a Zelda and unique for any game I have played which gives the experience a special place in my heart.

When you are engrossed in a dungeon and you hear the toll of the bell or get that 24 hours remain screen you become reminded once more that the moon is falling and if you don't hurry up all will be lost.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I absolutely hate them!! they totally stress me out!!!! I like to explore and take my time with stuff......

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
No. They are almost always forced and arbitrary. There's also something to be said for a game that artificially limits the number of hours you can spend playing it. If there's an option to extend time it is almost always poorly implemented. Regardless, time limits serve no benefit and rarely even make sense for the scenario.

Majora's Mask is an example of how to do it right. Some turn based games flirt with having some meaningful challenge or benefit to limiting the number of moves you can make within a given number of turns, but this more often than not is arbitrary and poorly implemented.

I'd just as soon be able to take my time. Warframe's survival mode is fun though.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
The timer nearly made me quit majoras mask before I even began. They stress me out especially because I am not a good gamer and hate feeling rushed. However majoras mask also made me change my opinion because I felt they gave you plenty of time to get things done (especially with the reverse song of time)

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Majora's Mask forced you to manage your time effectively while allowing you to manipulate the parameters enough that you felt you had some control. I was upset by the changes in Majora's Mask 3D. Being able to double-time to any moment have me far too much control over time. Weirdly enough, having that doomsday clock stamped across half the screen was part of the atmosphere. It was inescapable that every moment, you were losing time. You are also able to save anywhere at any time in MM3D which means you don't have to manage your time or keep track of spacial limitations nearly as much. The original wasn't perfect but the effect of that imperfection was.

Lone_Garurumon

Standing Out
It honestly depends on how it's done.

Games like Mario where levels tend to have a lot of extra areas you'd love to explore: Bad. I want to be able to explore this game, don't make me feel like I'm not allowed to by forcing a completely arbitrary time limit on me.

Games like Sonic where the focus is going through the levels as fast as possible, yet for some reason the limit is still there: Bad. I mean, why is it even there? You'll never hit the limit, so why even put it in?

Games like Metroid where it's a specific sequence, and justified by some kind of earth-shattering-kaboom: Good. Sequences like that should have some tension, the timer actually reminds you that "Hey! this place is blowing up! Maybe you should be running?". One of the specific sequences I remember is one from Metroid Prime Hunters, after you get one of the octoliths, you're forced into the escape sequence as usual, but this time you're thrown into a fight with Weevil with the timer still counting. There was plenty of time, but the timer still added the tension since you knew you had to fight hard or you'd still die.

I can't say anything about stuff like Majora's Mask, due to never playing the game. Yes, yes, boo, hiss, shun.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
No, I'm awful with time. I like enjoying games, I don't want no time-stress inducing games. Majora's Mask gets a pass because I'm ****ing biased.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Depends on how the game incorporates it. Majora's Mask did it incredibly well as the time limit was built in and was a natural part of the game. Others it just feels shoehorned in and makes you rush it.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It depends entirely on the context for me. A lot of the time I don't like them because they add an extra layer of stress on something I'm playing (generally) to relax with, but sometimes they make the game better.

Best example of a timer making a game better would be Majora's Mask. Since almost everyone above me has already mentioned it, and I am prone to go on essay long rambles about how much I have the game on a full-sized body pillow and one day we will have tiny cushion babies and live as a perfect family, I'll limit myself to simply saying that the timer in MM doesn't just make the game better, it makes the game, period.

I also really like the timers in Resident Evil games. They add a nice sense of urgency to climactic moments, and are usually always generous enough that you have to go out of your way to run them down. My favourite thing about them is how they appear on-screen and cont down even during cut-scenes and door transitions, sequences when you have no direct control that sometimes feel too slow for comfort. It's a great way of adding to that tension of the climax, while also retaining the cohesion of the gameplay and narrative as a nice little bonus.

"THE SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED ... REPEAT, THE SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED ... THIS SEQUENCE MAY NOT BE ABORTED ... ALL EMPLOYEES PROCEED TO THE EMERGENCY CAR AT THE BOTTOM PLATFORM ..."

Lily

Mischievous Minx
I was scared of playing MM because of the 3 day system. Though once you play it, you realize you can manage it fairly easily. So they aren't ALL bad.

"THE SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED ... REPEAT, THE SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED ... THIS SEQUENCE MAY NOT BE ABORTED ... ALL EMPLOYEES PROCEED TO THE EMERGENCY CAR AT THE BOTTOM PLATFORM ..."

I dare you to play a recording of this in a supermarket speaker system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom