• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Eat Meat?

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I eat meat because I think meat is tasty. And since it's both tasty and doesn't harm us, therefore it makes sense to eat it. I mean seriously, the animals are going to die anyway. And even if by chance you don't eat meat, you are still part of a food chain where animals get eaten. I understand not eating meat if you don't like it or it makes you sick, because that goes against my core reason for eating meat.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
How can one live without a good burger, or taco, or even meat in spaghetti sauce? I just think it adds so much oomf, It's the filling chewiness every food needs. So yes, I eat it. To all you people who don't eat meat because it's an animal... well... I mean I don't hate you, but I just don't understand. The purpose of that animal was to die and be eaten. And it tastes good... so why not eat it :P

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Eh, technically yes. I just don't like most of it. :P I'm VERY picky when it comes to food, and meat has to be JUST right for me to like it. My mom was actually brought up vegetarian, so we never really did eat much meat in my house. Although she's no longer vegetarian, she still buys a lot of fake meat products. And I actually like them better than the real stuff in a lot of cases.

I also only eat certain kinds of meat. I dislike steak and hamburgers, bacon and pork -- most popular types of meat. But I will USUALLY eat chicken and fish, as long as they're cooked in ways that I like. I can't stand chewy meat, though. It's just so disgusting. And I'll also eat hot dogs. I actually really like hot dogs. XD

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
I do eat meat; just not much of it. I find cleaning it before cooking to be a pain and only provides significant flavor when loaded with salt. This is a problem since I'm not the biggest fan of salty food. When I do eat meat it's usually on a Saturday evening from Wendy's or Mcdonald's for "dinner", one to three slices of bacon, or one part of a chicken.

MW7

I do not eat meat. I'd say it's for 3 reasons- health, animals, and the environment. I find it much easier to eat healthy when all meat products are off-limits. I also love animals and do not find it too difficult to avoid eating anything that required the death of an animal. Finally when I became aware of the argument that reducing meat consumption helps the environment, limiting my diet seemed like a minor sacrifice.

I mean seriously, the animals are going to die anyway.
That's like saying murder is morally alright because the person will die at some point anyway. There is a huge difference between being killed and dying.

So yes, I eat it. To all you people who don't eat meat because it's an animal... well... I mean I don't hate you, but I just don't understand. The purpose of that animal was to die and be eaten.
My perspective is that the purpose of an animal is to live and be respected. So I simply disagree with your worldview. Just because humans have chosen to kill and consume animals for millennia does not make it right. I can't prove that your perspective is incorrect, but it's debatable.

Dan

Personally I think it's ludicrous to state an animals purpose is to be eaten,no living being has a purpose.
I personally do not eat meat as I do not want to be a part of that animals suffering. I don't need to eat meat to survive, I find there are many alternatives to satisfy me.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
**** yeah I eat meat, meat's awesome. You don't like meat then **** you. America.

Yes I do eat meat. I see np with eating meat. I do believe that our farm animals should be treated and killed as humanely as possible.

As for Vegans/Vegetarians I'll gladly respect their right to eat however they like, so long as they do the same. Most vegans/vegetarians I tend not to have a problem with but there are a few that whine about how everyone tries to push their evil carnivorous (we're omnivores not carnivores people) ways on them, while not realizing that they're the ones proselytizing their lifestyle. But there are some of those in every group so yeah.

Last edited:

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I will eat anything that is or once was living. Plant or Animal. Unless of course, I dislike the taste, or it's dangerous and could potentially kill me.
I will try everything at least once, given I have the chance.
So, in short, hell yes.

I find it a tad ridiculous and silly to not eat something for any other reason besides disliking the taste or potential danger.
And yes, I DO understand that some people might not like "inhumane ways of getting the meat", but not every animal in that meat group have been mistreated, so I find it ridiculous to oppose yourself to a whole category of food based on SOME individual animals being mistreated before made into meat. Remember, not all have been handled that way.

And, I find it silly for the simple fact of what we are, as Animals. We need to consume life to survive. Life from plants, and life from animals. We are omnivores, and just as I find it ridiculous to deny yourself of meat, I also find it ridiculous to deny yourself of plants. (And again, the exception is if you have a good reason to not eat them. -like, if you simply do not like the taste, or if it is dangerous-this includes allergies)

Dan

Just reading this makes me want bacon, steak and chicken.

Anyway, yeah I eat meat mostly because I was raised that way.

Well I'm not trying to be a killjoy here. *80's sitcom laughter*
I just personally believe the argument "I was raised that way" is a little on the poor side.(Detroit) you most likely have another reason to still eat meat.
You may be surprised but I wasn't always a vegan, I was raised to be a Jellytarian. All my family would eat was jelly, and if any of us would step out of line my grandfather would take off his belt and smack us ALL with it, so that none of us got any ideas.

It was at Christmas time when my mother was carving the Christmas jelly turkey that I was secretly feasting upon a delicious bag of fish and chips. My grandfather heard the rustling and used his wireless remote to have the giant crane outside, to lower its hook which smashed through the house, grabbed me and then raised me, to the top, whilst it was doing that my chips all fell out of my hand and into my grandfathers mouth, he swallowed one and all my family looked at him nervously.
My grandfather loved it, and said from this day on you can eat what ever you want, my grandfather was raised to only eat jelly, but he learned that sometimes you must take your own path, no one should ever choose paths for you, you are your own free person. :)

MW7

I find it a tad ridiculous and silly to not eat something for any other reason besides disliking the taste or potential danger.
And yes, I DO understand that some people might not like "inhumane ways of getting the meat", but not every animal in that meat group have been mistreated, so I find it ridiculous to oppose yourself to a whole category of food based on SOME individual animals being mistreated before made into meat. Remember, not all have been handled that way.

And, I find it silly for the simple fact of what we are, as Animals. We need to consume life to survive. Life from plants, and life from animals. We are omnivores, and just as I find it ridiculous to deny yourself of meat, I also find it ridiculous to deny yourself of plants. (And again, the exception is if you have a good reason to not eat them. -like, if you simply do not like the taste, or if it is dangerous-this includes allergies)
I'd say there are other ways to look at it besides this. The ethics of animal rights is a major reason why people don't eat meat, but there are other arguments as well. A bizarre analogy to vegetarianism is buying a Prius because it helps the environment but you get a personal benefit as well (much less money spent on gasoline for a Prius and less risk of chronic diseases for vegetarianism). Vegetarianism is seen as environmentally friendly. There is research done to support this, but it makes sense intuitively because people eating plants is more efficient than people feeding plants to animals to eat the animals. In addition vegetarianism is generally viewed as healthier than a meat-centric diet because it is usually lower in saturated fat and cholesterol and much higher in nutrients such as fiber. Doctors recognize that a plant-based diet can reduce the risk of developing heart disease as well as other major diseases. I'll admit that not many doctors would tell everyone to stop eating meat entirely, but most would probably agree that eating more plant-based meals would lead to a healthier society.

Akuhime-sama

In addition vegetarianism is generally viewed as healthier than a meat-centric diet
Who would have a meat-centric diet?

Vegetarianism is seen as environmentally friendly.
As if eating meat (too) is not? I'm pretty sure eating meat is environmentally friendly. It's in nature.
And, if you're talking about Beef in specific, then I can say that eating more cows would be a benefit since their farts are destroying the Ozone Layer.
But yes, farmed cows will continue to exist and it really won't make much difference.

people eating plants is more efficient than people feeding plants to animals to eat the animals
That's only in farmed animals. You can still eat meat without buying it from a farmed source. Hey, some people hunt.
You don't need to grow plants to feed animals if the animals already find it on their own in the wild.
Also, there are fish. When you get fish meat, it's usually caught, like- from the wild- not farmed.
But I think they actually do farm fish too in some places....

And on that, Farming will continue to exist, so whether or not you (an individual) eats burgers or not, it's not going to make the environment any better.
So saying that vegetarianism is more eco-friendly is kind of a mute point.

Anyway, My point in all of this is that you NEED BOTH. We are born OMNIVORES.
Eating only one or the other is not right. If you only ate meat, it would be just as bad (in my opinion) as only eating plants.
But seriously, if it tastes good to you, and it won't harm you, then you should eat it.

And also, again about the "meat-centric" thing... I never said that one should focus their lives on eating meat. I only said there is no reason to deny yourself of it unless you just don't like the taste. (or allergies or some other good reason) Personally, I think the best way is to have some meat, but primarily grains. Since, if I recall, you need more of them. Hence why it used to be the biggest portion of the food pyramid. My diet consists of primarily noodles. xD Noodles and cheese. Mainly grains and dairy. I LOVE cheese. Like- no joke. Milk, Cheese, butter, ANYTHING, almost ANYTHING with milk in it, I love. And I REALLY REALLY REALLY like noodles. I think I like noodles more than meat. But I really do like fish and seafood. ..Chicken is really good too.

ANYWAY, I'm getting lost in topic.... ---- in short, I'm not saying one should eat anything more than the other, ALL I'm saying is that nobody should put dumb, stupid restraints on themselves. And banning yourself from a specific type of food (whatever that may be, whether it's plants, meat, dairy, or other) is completely ridiculous without good reason. I mean, if you don't like a food, don't eat it. That's obvious. But if you do like it, and it can't hurt you dramatically, then there is no reason why you shouldn't eat it. Be it spinach or corn dog, or anything else you can think of. If you like it, eat it.

MW7

Who would have a meat-centric diet?
That was awkwardly worded by me. I was trying to get at the point that people believe that they have to eat meat every day. However since you brought it up, there are many diets that revolve heavily around meat. Any of the variations of a low carb diet tend to revolve around meat. It's simply because when you cut out carbs, you are left with fat and protein for nourishment. Meat is one of the types of foods that is very low carb (or no carb).

As if eating meat (too) is not? I'm pretty sure eating meat is environmentally friendly. It's in nature.
And, if you're talking about Beef in specific, then I can say that eating more cows would be a benefit since their farts are destroying the Ozone Layer.
But yes, farmed cows will continue to exist and it really won't make much difference.
The problem is that humans are breeding more cows than would exist without human intervention in order to kill them to produce beef. People keep eating more meat than necessary which keeps up the demand for meat, this makes the supply of animals greater than would occur without humans raising them for slaughter in mass amounts, then all the millions of animals fart which contributes to climate change. Farms will continue to exist, but my point is that if you even ate one less serving of meat a week, that would make a difference (admittedly tiny) because then the supply of meat would not have to be so high. I would admit that your argument makes sense when the meat comes from outside of an industrial or business situation. In other words you killing an animal in the wild would be environmentally beneficial, but purchasing meat would not be because that has an economic impact on the meat industry to support the breeding of animals for the sole purpose of producing meat. If you don't believe me, there are tons of sources on the internet related to vegetarianism and environmentalism. For instance I found this article about how the UN wants people to eat less meat, and also in the same article it mentions how the chair of the IPCC (the group studying climate change) wants people to go at least one day a week without eating meat. http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet

That's only in farmed animals. You can still eat meat without buying it from a farmed source. Hey, some people hunt.
You don't need to grow plants to feed animals if the animals already find it on their own in the wild.
Also, there are fish. When you get fish meat, it's usually caught, like- from the wild- not farmed.
But I think they actually do farm fish too in some places....
I can't argue with that.

And on that, Farming will continue to exist, so whether or not you (an individual) eats burgers or not, it's not going to make the environment any better.
So saying that vegetarianism is more eco-friendly is kind of a mute point.
Individual choice definitely makes a difference. Farming will continue to exist, but every economic choice has an impact on the supply of a product. It may be such a small difference that it can barely be measured, but it is a difference nonetheless. My choice to not eat meat makes a very tiny difference, but when you consider that there are hundreds of millions of vegetarians in the world (a large portion of Hindus do not eat meat so there are around 400 to 500 million vegetarians in India alone), the vegetarian movement makes a huge environmental impact. Also we can consider the fact that my decision to not eat meat leads to greater awareness of vegetarianism and its benefits which leads to less meat consumption by other people.

Anyway, My point in all of this is that you NEED BOTH. We are born OMNIVORES.
Eating only one or the other is not right. If you only ate meat, it would be just as bad (in my opinion) as only eating plants.
But seriously, if it tastes good to you, and it won't harm you, then you should eat it.
This is the only thing you said that is just blatantly false. Most people choose to be omnivores, and no one needs to eat meat. People have raised children as vegetarians and vegans (the latter of which is extremely dangerous if you aren't a nutritional expert). Hundreds of millions of vegetarians living full, normal lives is proof that the idea that humans need to consume both animals and plants to survive is just not true.

And also, again about the "meat-centric" thing... I never said that one should focus their lives on eating meat. I only said there is no reason to deny yourself of it unless you just don't like the taste. (or allergies or some other good reason) Personally, I think the best way is to have some meat, but primarily grains. Since, if I recall, you need more of them. Hence why it used to be the biggest portion of the food pyramid. My diet consists of primarily noodles. xD Noodles and cheese. Mainly grains and dairy. I LOVE cheese. Like- no joke. Milk, Cheese, butter, ANYTHING, almost ANYTHING with milk in it, I love. And I REALLY REALLY REALLY like noodles. I think I like noodles more than meat. But I really do like fish and seafood. ..Chicken is really good too.
At this point I don't miss meat (15 months of vegetarianism), but when I very briefly experimented with veganism I realized that I could never give up pizza. Non-dairy ice cream is also not even close to the real thing in my opinion, but I think I could possibly live without ice cream... just not without pizza. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian so I eat eggs as well as dairy products.

ANYWAY, I'm getting lost in topic.... ---- in short, I'm not saying one should eat anything more than the other, ALL I'm saying is that nobody should put dumb, stupid restraints on themselves. And banning yourself from a specific type of food (whatever that may be, whether it's plants, meat, dairy, or other) is completely ridiculous without good reason. I mean, if you don't like a food, don't eat it. That's obvious. But if you do like it, and it can't hurt you dramatically, then there is no reason why you shouldn't eat it. Be it spinach or corn dog, or anything else you can think of. If you like it, eat it.
I think we just have different ideas for what a good reason to not eat something is.

Akuhime-sama

MW7 said:
That was awkwardly worded by me. I was trying to get at the point that people believe that they have to eat meat every day. However since you brought it up, there are many diets that revolve heavily around meat. Any of the variations of a low carb diet tend to revolve around meat. It's simply because when you cut out carbs, you are left with fat and protein for nourishment. Meat is one of the types of foods that is very low carb (or no carb).
I've never met anyone who thought that. (about having to eat it every day)
I only eat meat when I feel like it or I'm hungry for something specific that HAPPENS to have meat in it.
I just eat based on whatever I'm feeling at that moment, meat or no meat. xD

MW7 said:
The problem is that humans are breeding more cows than would exist without human intervention in order to kill them to produce beef. People keep eating more meat than necessary which keeps up the demand for meat, this makes the supply of animals greater than would occur without humans raising them for slaughter in mass amounts, then all the millions of animals fart which contributes to climate change. Farms will continue to exist, but my point is that if you even ate one less serving of meat a week, that would make a difference (admittedly tiny) because then the supply of meat would not have to be so high. I would admit that your argument makes sense when the meat comes from outside of an industrial or business situation. In other words you killing an animal in the wild would be environmentally beneficial, but purchasing meat would not be because that has an economic impact on the meat industry to support the breeding of animals for the sole purpose of producing meat. If you don't believe me, there are tons of sources on the internet related to vegetarianism and environmentalism. For instance I found this article about how the UN wants people to eat less meat, and also in the same article it mentions how the chair of the IPCC (the group studying climate change) wants people to go at least one day a week without eating meat.
Yes, but some people can, and WILL, want to eat more meat, and taking away the cows would kind of take away their right to eat in freedom. So, yeah, and I agree with you that the demand for farmed animals will still exist, and that's why I said "farmed cows will continue to exist and it really won't make much difference." So, yes, I can see your point on farmed Animals.

Yes, People can eat LESS meat, but that doesn't mean they should stop eating it altogether. They just need to balance their diets.

MW7 said:
Also we can consider the fact that my decision to not eat meat leads to greater awareness of vegetarianism and its benefits which leads to less meat consumption by other people.
I disagree. Simply because there are a vast amount of those who are not vegetarians out there that, by free will as you said, will still continue their meat eating. And no vegetarian can stop others from, eating what they like.
Now, if there was a law though, that limited the cows raised or something, then you might have a chance to put it in place, and THAT might have an effect. But a single individual cutting it out from their diet entirely isn't going to make that much difference.

And by the way, (as explained earlier), you can eat meat without it contributing to farmed animals and it would be environmentally friendly, so I'm kind of confused as to why then, one such as yourself would still ban yourself from all meat... couldn't you just eat meat that was not off of a farmed animal?

MW7 said:
This is the only thing you said that is just blatantly false. Most people choose to be omnivores, and no one needs to eat meat. People have raised children as vegetarians and vegans (the latter of which is extremely dangerous if you aren't a nutritional expert). Hundreds of millions of vegetarians living full, normal lives is proof that the idea that humans need to consume both animals and plants to survive is just not true.
I don't see how it's false.
Maybe it can be survivable in a world with supplements, pills, and what technology we now have... But I'm talking in a wild sense.
If you were stranded in an uninhabited place, you would need meat and plants BOTH.
And no way is it false that we are omnivores by nature. We were born that way. We are primates, and all primates are omnivores. By Nature. They eat bugs, they eat fruit, and, there are probably a ton of stuff they eat that I don't know about, but I DO know they eat both. It's not really a choice. However, it is a choice to ban yourself from eating a food.

Anyway, I know you need protein in your diet, and the best way to get it is eating meat. And, If I recall, nuts and stuff DO have protein, but not enough. (unless you eat a LOT of it) And, without technology, there are no supplements.

MW7 said:
I think we just have different ideas for what a good reason to not eat something is.
Fair enough, But I don't think you ever told me what your example/thoughts on an example of a good reason. I'd like to hear it. :)
(I mean, I might even agree you do have a good reason, based on what that reason is)

Unless that was the whole "Environmental" approach. In which, I thought we have already agreed that one can still eat meat, while still being environmentally friendly. (ex: hunting)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom