• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you double dip? - repurchase the same game again

Remakes, remasters, ports, reboots and more.
Do you ever buy these after already purchasing the original game? Have you double dipped and bought a game again?

A recent example of mine is Dragon Quest XI. I bought it on PS4 and now I bought it on Switch. I just liked the game that much and the Switch port has enough new content to make it worthwhile.

With Zelda, yes.

I got TP on both the Gamecube and Wii and got TPHD on WiiU and will buy it again if a Switch port ever happens.

I bought WW twice on the Gamecube, one standard and one special edition. I also bought WWHD on WiiU and will buy a Switch port.

I bought ALttP on the Snes, GBA and WiiU VC.
I bought MC on GBA and WiiU VC.

I bought OoT on N64, WiiU VC and OoT3D on 3DS.

And on and on and on. I have almost every Zelda game at least twice apart from the multiplayer games which can die in a fire.

I'd double dip on any Tales game that came to Switch too.

And I'm gonna double dip on the Digimon Cyber Sleuth games that are coming to Switch, having already played them to death on Ps4

Yes, I bought the Twilight Princess HD version after getting the Wii version, but that's because I hated the Wii version. I have bought two of the exact same version of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, mainly because I love that game so much.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
No, I already own the game so I don't want to spend money on buying it again, even if it is a nicer version
I'll admit I have made a few exceptions here and there, but on the whole, this idea just never sat right w/ me personally, I really wish renting was still a thing though b/c I would like to try out certain remakes and such of games I already have, I just don't want to own them

Last edited:
Yes, I bought the Twilight Princess HD version after getting the Wii version, but that's because I hated the Wii version. I have bought two of the exact same version of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, mainly because I love that game so much.
I also forgot that almost all of my third party games for the PS2 are also on my GameCube, but I only did that because I knew the GameCube lasted longer, from my experience anyway.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Yes, I have all 3 TP games, both Pokkens, both Mario Kart 8, both BOTW (I gave the Wii U one to my cousin though), same with ALttP but the GBA version, RollerCoaster Tycoon (physical and Steam) and same with Escape from Monkey Island.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I've had plenty. OoT on the N64 then the wii u and it's 3D remake. Same with Majora's Mask. TWW and TP HD remakes. Pokemon Ruby then Omega Ruby I've bought, traded in but liked it enough to get again.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I double dip a lot. I originally bought Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time on Playstation 2, and later I felt like buying it on Gamecube too just because I liked the Gamecube controller more. That was probably the first time I bought the same game for different systems that I can think of. I've bought most ports and remakes of Zelda games, although I own either the original version or a port of the games. So yeah, I'm a double dipper for games, I don't mind purchasing a game I already know I like to have it on a newer console for convenience.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
Yeah, there's been times where I've had multiple copies or versions of a game. Just going through the list, this includes:
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64 version, GCN Master Quest version, GCN Collector's Edition version, 3DS remake)
  • Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64 version, GCN Collector's Edition version, Wii VC version, 3DS remake)
  • Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN version, Wii U remake)
  • Star Fox 64 (Wii VC version, 3DS remake)
  • Golden Sun (GBA version, Wii U VC version)
  • Pokemon Ruby (GBA version, 3DS remake)
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution (original version, Director's Cut version, both on the Xbox 360)
  • Midnight Club: Los Angeles (iirc the first disc I had just stopped working so I had to get another, rip, both on the Xbox 360)
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins (there was just some weird snafu here where I ended up getting 2 PS4 copies so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
  • Yooka-Laylee (fun story: I ended up backing the Kickstarter for it and chose the PS4 version, but they sent it through Canada Post and it was taking forever to arrive, so I kept emailing Playtonic about it. Eventually they sent me another copy through FedEx (iirc), which I played, but then the original one that was sent through Canada Post ended up arriving after all. So I ended up with two copies for the price of one, lol)

In general, I don't mind repurchasing a game if I feel that there's been enough improvements/changes to justify it, or I feel that it's easier to play it on a newer console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom