• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Do Anything to Help Yourself Sleep?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Sometimes we have those nights where we just can't seem to fall asleep. Or sometimes we just want a little push to get that last bit of comfort we need to drift off. Is there anything particular you tend to do to help yourself catch some zzzs?

I always take melatonin supplements because I have a really hard time falling asleep. My brain doesn't stop spinning easily. I also like to listen to music when I am falling asleep. Sometimes I'll put on a playlist, or I'll find one of those 30 minute extended youtube videos of game music and just leave that on. It's a nice way for me to relax. Also, I find myself able to sleep better if there's something covering my eyes.

What about you guys? Is there anything you do?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
If I'm having trouble sleeping there isn't much I can do - I don't have any medicine to help me sleep. I haven't really experimented with things like trying to listen to calm music or anything either, I feel like it'd make me less sleepy.

So no, I don't do anything to help me sleep.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Usually the problem when I can’t sleep is when the sound machine is not on, it’s hot, or I need to use the bathroom.

I can easily fix those and go to sleep, but on the rare occasion I can’t sleep, (usually when there’s something big the next morning) I usually drink some water, and focus on my breathing, eventually I’ll fall asleep.

Also, there’s another reason I sometimes cannot sleep. It’s when I don’t drink enough water, and my legs get shaky. I really have a hard time falling asleep when that happens. I get up and spent an hour just sipping water to make it go away, but most of the time I still am a little bit shaky. I just put a bunch of blankets on my legs so I can’t shake as much, withal, the weight, then do what I normally do when I can’t sleep.

It usually takes about 2 hours to fall asleep then.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Best methods I have are actually long-term. Most important one is I never do anything in my bed besides sleep - once I hop in, it's bedtime. I also avoid videogames or screens of any kind for around 15-30 minutes before bed. Sometimes I read, or organize things, but never something brightly backlit or high-octane. I also try to just go to bed when I'm tired, even if it's a little early - if I wait until my normal bedtime, I might get a "second wind" and not be able to fall asleep.

Essentially, good sleep habits. Of course, if I AM having troubles, my go-to is to get out of bed, have some water, and read for a bit until I feel tired. Usually if I can't fall asleep in the moment, I'm not going to be able to for a half hour or more anyways, so I wait until I'm feeling exhausted then hop back to bed. Works 95% of the time. The other times I'm just insomniac (:

I'm an insomniac, by some definition. But I have the most difficulty sleeping at night, so most of my sleeping struggles went away after high school where I was required to sleep at night and no dose of melatonin really seemed to help. I just sleep when I'm tired/feel like it, and while I don't know if I get enough sleep (or too much), I've not had to take anything for my sleeplessness in well over five years. I just seem to have an easier time sleeping in broad daylight.

Vegging out to music makes me particularly sleepy...

Yes. No exciting movies, games, music or stories.

Listening to soothing music and nature sounds if there's too much noise around me.

Deep slow breathing

Running lists of things through my mind to try and bore myself to sleep.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
i try to imagine falling asleep as being like swimming down a pipe filled with water and that the further down i swim the sleepier i get

Ninja

Well well well
www.rainymood.com is amazing, and not only is it good for sleep, but background noise as well. Zora's Domain is actually pretty sweet to fall asleep to as well. Nap time is best time.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Most of the time I fall asleep very fast. My fiance is always surprised how quickly I fall asleep. When I have trouble sleeping I'm often thinking about everything and just lay in my bed with my eyes closed. I used to worry about not getting enough sleep but last couple of years I don't really care and mind. I've got more troubles with staying awake rather than not being able to sleep

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I find the best way to got to bed easily is getting out of bed very early in the morning and getting tired by the end of the day. The weekends without work is a bit harder though - during those times I tend to have a shower and slowly wind myself down before going to sleep.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
If I'm struggling to fall asleep, I first try to diagnose the problem. Usually it's because my bedroom is too toasty, so in those cases I open the window a bit to let in some cool fresh air. If I have a lot going on in my head that makes it hard to fall asleep, I just put on some quiet music and usually fall asleep within a few minutes. If it's pain related, I just try to deal with it usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom