• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Consider Yourself a Geek/nerd?

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
If yes explain why? and don't use because I'm a member of Zelda Forum site.

I consider myself one because I want to collect all the American release LoZ games, have 8 LoZ T-shirts, Wear LoZ necklaces to school everyday.

The necklaces are: 1st is of the triforce with triangles gold, the 2nd is a cut up Gamestop gift card(made sure spent everything on it) with ST game box design on it, and 3rd is of rupee with all the different colors on it. If you live in the state and county as me you probably see me at scholl everyday wearing these necklaces

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I like a lot of nerdy things: Computers, web design, coding, Lord of the Rings, Zelda, etc. I used to collect LOTR stuff, like tons of it. That being said, I try not to really act like a nerd :)

Yes, I do consider myself a nerd. Really the only thing I ever do is play video games and get on the computer and browse the internet. Most of the times I'm on ZD. I also joined the MarioWiki forum not too long ago.

I also have my own Mario site up. I didn't do much with it when I made it, but I revived it and started updating it with content because it's Mario's 25th anniversary. I also plan to have a forum for it, but that'll be at a later time.

Absolutely. I geek out over everything. Books, video games, computers, web design, etc etc... basically if I have an interest, there's a geek sub-culture attached to it.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
I don't see how I COULDN'T be a geek. One of the reasons is that the only zelda games I don't own that are out are the Orcale games, MC, LA, Fourswords (which I don't count as "actual" zelda games,) and the unofficial/fan-made games. I also made a shrinky-dink of the master sword in front of the triforce, I own a triforce hat, and I have the zelda posters from Club Nintendo. How am I NOT a geek?!

Austin

Austin
Yup. I stay in my room and play video games or watch/read anime/manga all day. Don't really see how you could call it anything else. And if anyone asks whether I'm a nerd or not, I tell them the truth. ^^

I'm more of a closet nerd I guess you could say. And even then, I'm finding out I'm not as much of a "geek" as I thought I was. I'm not obsessed with the manga stuff, and the only anime I EVER watch is Pokemon with my little 9 year old brother every Saturday morning, and even then it's not really for me. I just watch it with him so I can have some personal time with him. I'm also finding I don't even have much time for video games anymore..... along with this forum too.

I'll always love video games; I have no problem completely blowing off a Sunday on this laptop or in my room playing a game. But I'm actually getting a life now; swim practice for two hours a day, debate tournaments in Texas every other weekend, and I'm even starting to spend Friday nights with friends (gasp!). I'm still kind of a nerd, but all of that is being pushed aside for things I'm finding are more fun and important.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
It's... complicated. And I honestly don't know... do I consider myself a geek/nerd? Or do others simply consider me to be one?

It might sound like I'm jacking around with the question because I'm "in denial" or something, but to be honest when I'm on my own, doing things I love I don't think "Oh, I'm making a non-gaming related post on a gaming forum now gosh this is so geeky". It doesn't feel geeky to me, it just feels like I'm doing something I want to do (or a way of procrastinating with something else XD). It's only when someone asks me "what did you do on friday night" and I see the look they give me when I answer "Oh, I stayed up trying to get this one last achievement on Assassin's Creed" or something do I think "Hey, actually, that sounded kind of geeky... o_O". Or when they ask me that question, and I make an excuse to hide the fact I was doing something that they'd consider geeky do I realise that yeah, in some ways I am pretty much a geek.

But the weird thing is, there seem to be different levels of geekiness, and I seem to be somewhere inbetween. I mean, I'll play games for hours on end, 100%ing them and doing speed runs... but yet, I've never touched any PC/Playstation games. I'll waffle away discussing the finer points of some games on internet forums, but yet there are so many series' I've never even really touched (like Metroid, or Final Fantasy, or Half Life, or any FPS you care to name). I own and Xbox 360, yet don't have an Xbox Live account, and don't want or need one either. I just don't do online multiplayer. Or RPGs. Physically, I don't really fit the "geek" stereotype either- I barely ever wear gaming shirts, I don't need glasses, I don't have a brace (now) etc etc. I go do stuff with friends on a regular basis too. Heck, I've never owned anything made by Apple, I don't watch anime, and my now 5-year-old mobile phone sits forgotten in the bottom of my bag half the time... heck, I don't even have a facebook account. I usually sit with the "loud and proud" geeks at breaktime at my sixth form, but I feel so... pathetic compared to them. Like I don't belong, like I shouldn't be there, pretending to be a geek... I'm afraid to bring things up because I know they'll probably flatten me with their superior knowledge and make me seem like such a wannabe.... idk.

Despite that though, I think if I asked them, most people who know me would probably admit I do seem pretty geeky to them. But I get the impression I confuse people when I meet them, because I don't quite fit in the little "she's a geek" box they want to put me it. I love gaming, reading, writing, making art, obscure music, spending hours looking things up on the internet, or reading ahead in my textbooks just because I genuinely find it interesting. But yet, at the same time I love hiking, I love travelling, I love climbing and ice skating and mountain biking, and I love making new friends and having a laugh with other people because nothing feels better than making someone else smile. Sometimes I dabble in new things, but more than once I've drawn the line and just drifted on (Pokemon's a good example of this). Just because I read my textbooks, doesn't mean my grades are ridiculously high either- heck, half my homework gets done at the last minute if I actually remember about it. I don't even know what I want to do with my future academically- I just want to be happy, whatever I do.

Verging on a wall of text there, but it needed some explanation. Do I consider myself a geek/nerd? Not entirely... Do others consider me to be a geek/nerd? Probably... Am I a geek/nerd relative to other nerd/geeks? Not really.

I like to watch a lot of space documentaries and like to share it with people so I guess one could call me a nerd... I guess.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Definitely. I always get good grades and whenever I feel like not doing homework, I still get up and do it. I also try to do my best in almost everything. Maybe the strangest thing I do is research almost everything on any topic. My geek side is the weekends;I stay inside almost all day enjoying my freedom.

Here is my nerdness( the quadratic formula from last year is what I can't get out of my head) : x equals negative b, plus or minus the square root of b squared minus 4ac all over 2a.

Last edited:

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Seeing I don't actually know what is a geek, I'll try to respond according to other people's descriptions of what is a geek.

Hmm, seeing the geek's caracteristics posted here, I might as well say I'm a kind of geek. I like manga and animes, and love to play videogames, and I'm also kind of an anti-social person, but this relates with my weird personality.
I like to be on my computer with the relatively bare free time I have this year, or play with my Nintendo 64, Playsation 2 or Gameboy Advance (especially Oracle of Ages, Link's Awakening and Rockman 3).
I know a lot about videogames, although I haven't played a lot of franchises. Even with this fact, I nown like... 35 games, which may be a lot.
If being a smart person or liking to think is a caracteristic of the standard geek then I'm pretty much a geek, as I love thinking and playing with thinking puzzles, as well as elaborating mathematical and psychological theories (I have a promising future =D and only with 13 years old!). For example, I elaborated this mathematical theory which, if I show ti to the world, it might probably change the way we see math, and it can also solve all the mathematical problems, providing infinite answers, like the answer to 1:3. I also consider myself as an intelligent person, and I love to learn, instead of my lazy friends.

So, I don't really know if I consider myself a geek, you judge me.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
People don't call me a a nerd, but I consider myself one.

I know more things about Pokemon, Zelda, Anime and Manga, J-POP and myths and legends of the world than most people around me. Though what I know can be compared to that of the knowledge of a European scholar in an International school, it seem useless to other people. I feel happy knowing things and I feel curios about new things that interests me. If someone I know makes fun of me being a nerd, fine I take it. Though I won't take it if one makes fun of the stereotypic outlook of a fat guy who loves games and animes and lives alone at home. I get that impression a lot from people around me wherever I walk into a Mall.

But still, I'm proud to be a nerd, cause your more knowledgeable and you can use it to help someone in some way.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Honestly I dunno.

I guess I could be considered to be a geek/nerd. I'm smart in certain subjects and I'll occasionally find myself reading informative or educational articles online cause they seem interesting to me. I love to play video games and do things on the computer such as being on a gaming-related forum. I love anime and manga although I've kinda fallen out of watching/reading those lately. I make constant references about things to video games I've played which sometimes give me the " o_O " look. And I do collect video game and manga/anime-related items when I find them and if I have enough money on hand to pay for it.

So yeah, I guess you could say that I'm a geek/nerd. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom