• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you consider Ocarina of Time and Majora Mask 3D as Remakes or Remasters?

I personally consider these 3DS versions as Remasters and not Remakes since they are the same games but with better graphics and minor differences Remakes should be a reimagining the original game but its not the same game but share some similarities with the original like Final Fantasy 7 Remake with the original Final Fantasy 7

Ocarina and Majora 3D they are practically the same games for me so they are Remasters for me do you consider these versions as Remakes or Remasters?

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
A remake for me would be if the game was redone mostly from scratch. Without knowing much of the development of these games, I'd probably classify them as remasters since I think they were mostly working off of the old games. If I'm wrong here, I'd love to know.

I can't say for Ocarina of Time 3D, but my theory is that Majora's Mask 3D is a remaster, because there is evidence Fierce Deity Link was playable anywhere in the 3DS version, which would be weird that they repeated the development of the original, via ultimately making him only usable in Boss Rooms again.

The evidence in question is his sword beam. They had to specifically program it to interact with everything to make him playable everywhere, but only got to the point of it working with one of the minibosses, and signs.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Somewhere in between, but leaning closer to remasters. My opinion of video game remakes has been largely dominated by Capcom and their remakes of the first three Resident Evil games.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I don’t think that there’s an objective definition for either term, so I’d say that personally, I consider games to be remakes only if they were specifically made from the ground up as their own thing. By that definition, the only Zelda “remake” that I would consider as such is Links Awakening.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
They're in an odd middle ground of not being fully redone experiences but also not just simple graphical touch ups.

I'd say closer to remake than remaster, especially in the case of Majora's Mask 3D, which had more notable gameplay changes.

I would consider remasters to focus more on enhancing graphics through textures and resolution, while remakes are from the ground up, so since the 3DS versions replaced models while not rebuilding the entire game, yeah, I'd definitely say they're somewhere in between. Maybe rework would be a better word.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
If I remember correctly OoT 3D was completely reprogrammed from scratch, and then assets from OoT 3D were used to make MM 3D, they fit more as remakes than remasters.

A remake doesn't have to be a different interpretation of gameplay or story, but the term often gets associated with that. To me a remaster is just taking the old game and giving it minor adjustments, like a higher framerate and the likes. For example, Super Mario 3D All Stars has remasters of Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy, I wouldn't classify those as remakes. That's definitely not what OoT 3D and MM 3D are.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I agree that they're in a middle ground b/c they play pretty much the same, but they got one hell of a face lift typical to that of remakes, but I probably still call them remasters b/c I don't think they quite crossed that line yet, though I can see why others consider them remakes

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I would say they are remasters just like WWHD, TPHD and SSHD. All of them are graphically enhanced versions of the original game with some tweaks and additions. They are essentially the same game still.

Remakes I would say are done from the ground up with completely overhauled gameplay, story, graphics and music.

I'm gonna have to go with remasters, though OoT3D comes pretty close to a remake, what with the gameplay tweaks, having Master Quest included, the addition of a boss rush mode, and the reworking of the Water Temple. Still, it's not quite enough to be a fully-fledged remake. Something I'd consider a full remake would be more like a game that had cut dungeons and other content added back in, with story adjustments to fit them into the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom