• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you care to see assist co-op in Zelda?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Not talking Four Swords or Tri Force Heroes, the only time there was co-op in Zelda was in Wind Waker w/ the Tingle Tuner. You needed a GBA link cable but it was definitely a form of co-op, and I personally really liked it in the times that I used it w/ someone. The best comparison I can make to it is the player 2 assist feature in Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Mario Odyssey if you guys ever used it, except its a bit more technical. Would you ever want to see this kind of co-op feature come back in Breath of the Wild 2 or some other future Zelda game? It doesn't have to be in a Tingle Tuner form again, just some sort of drop in drop out kind of co-op.

I'm mainly talking in the assist form, since I think most of us would love to see full splitscreen co-op where player 2 plays as Zelda or something.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I mean, technically the NES Zeldas had a function where if you held up and A on the second controller while on the item/spell menu it would take you to the save screen if you can count that as co-op.

but yeah, I’d love to see a tingle tuner-like mechanic return. I was kinda disappointed when it wasn’t in WWHD because it was a really neat idea. Of course I feel like something similar would be loads more useful in a game like BotW, so if they every wanted to bring that back now would be the perfect opportunity.

CreeperMaster343

Spirit Tracks Zelda best companion, LinkxNavi FTW
I think i have to say no, either full co-op, or full singleplayer, i just personally don't like partial co-op features

It's an idea I can get behind. My wife and I usually take turns, swapping between dungeons. Having some sort of co-op would make for less passive spells for the one watching.

Maybe they could rethink a companion like how they handled Wolf Link with the amiibo in BotW and have that sort of cameo character as playable. But like, not lock it behind an amiibo.

I'm in favor of the idea of two character puzzles like the Sage temples in the Wind Waker in a two player format, but maybe find a way for it to be done in single player as well.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I think that co-op would be amazing, especially if Nintendo intends to keep making games like botw. They hand you this giant world where you can do whatever stupid stuff you want, but aside from the occasional settlement and moblin outpost it's pretty much devoid of life. Not only is that lonely, it gets a little boring after a while too. I think the best way to approach this though would be that only the main player can enter dungeons and access central story points. That way, people can come over and goof off but you don't have to design dungeons in a way that requires more than one person to complete it.
Alternatively they could go with the style of npc-that-tags-along. Some of my favorite zelda dungeons are the ones with Medoh and Makar, where you need their help to get through. Even like snowpeak ruins in tp, being able to stop and interact with yeto and yeta was fun and added more interest to the dungeon in general. In my experience having interesting characters around just makes the game better, unless of course its Princess Ruto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom