• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you care about Splatoon's story?

As with most Nintendo games (and online focussed ones) story takes a backseat.

Splatoon 1 had a story, a basic one but there was something there. It introduced Octolings and the Zapfish and was good fun.

Splatoon 2 bases its story on the result of the final splatfest of Callie v Marie in Splatoon 1. The result carrying into the sequel, which was very damn clever in my opinion.

But do you care? Does Splatoon need a story?

Are its characters worth telling stories with?

And as a more general point, do online focussed games need a story at all?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
'Ey. The story is a lot more than just than the single player though. Because the Splatoon world is treated as a real place, tastes change. Which is really cool. Things like new bands incoming, or even Splatfests, or just taste in clothing change as time flows. Just like in the real world. And that's awesome, and hasn't really been done in a game before. That's a huge part of the story for me, and the lore as well.

I'm also very glad that the superior Squid Sister gets to be your leader. So the Splatoon 2 single player should be quite the treat!

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I do care about Splatoon's story. I don't think it necessarily needs one, as it could probably stand on it's own with just the game play, but it's good that it has one.

I like that they used Splatfests, which were a popular, game based aspect of the first game, to come up with the plot for Splatoon 2. It's neat that the players kinda had an influence on what's going to happen. I also really like the release of the Squid Sisters Stories since it helped develop a few of the other characters that appeared in the first game as well.

I'm incredibly excited to see the story of Splatoon grow. There's a ton they can do with it, and while the first game may not have seemed like much, it created quite a few memorable and lovable characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom