• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Buy New or Used?

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I buy used games most of the time. If I don't like it or if something's wrong with it, I can just give it back.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I never buy used, really. Don't really like to do so. Bar the fact I don't want someone else's second-hand thing, I like knowing my money is going on to support the developer of the game. So, I pretty much avoid any used games in every way, shape, and form because of that. Plus, games get so cheap these days and so quickly too, it's well worth just waiting. I just wait till the price matches the game, plus any bias towards the developer, and then buy it new.

Claire

The Geekette
I buy mostly used games because I don't buy games from the current generation. If I would purchase from the current generation, I would buy it new, no question. But when you collect retro game titles, you have to be packing some serious dough to be able to afford to buy games brand new, sealed, and mint in the box. It doesn't make much sense to me to buy used in the current generation since the price difference isn't exactly as huge of a gap as it is between new vs used in, say, Game Boy titles. Buying used games from GameStop just seems like a complete rip-off to me, so I pass it up. Plus, I like getting coins for Club Nintendo, which you may or may not get when you buy used titles (code used or not included).

Night Owl

~Momentai
I find that I typically by new, especially if I can find it at wal-mart. (Mom's 10% discount rocks :P)
unless I can only get that game via download, I only buy games retail. (If it was cheaper to download I would.)

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Ez brings up a pretty good point. What do you guys think about buying new to support developers?
Do you not care because the original purchase of your used copy went to the developer anyways (someone had to have bought it new), or do you just stick with whatever is cheaper solely based on funds and having money to purchase other things?

Heres a really good video from a guy who is against used games. He brings up some good points (from both sides) but is mainly against used.
[video=youtube;2G_f8YBy39M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G_f8YBy39M[/video]

He talks partly about Online Passes and DLC being good since its a way for developers to make money off consumers who buy used (and don't support the developer with their initial game purchase) which I think is a pretty good point.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ez brings up a pretty good point. What do you guys think about buying new to support developers?

What developers are we talking about, here? If you're speaking of the developers that put heart and soul into the products - Nintendo for example - then I definitely buy their products new. But, for the likes of EA and Activision's cronies, I prefer to keep out of their :? . Used all the way for those POS products.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
What makes you think Nintendo's employees put more 'heart and soul' into a game than a developer owned by EA or Activision?

I think you forget that even though EA or Activision publishes a game, they don't own the developing studio. Like 4A Games not being owned by (the now defunct) THQ, or Crytek not being owned by EA.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Do you not care because the original purchase of your used copy went to the developer anyways (someone had to have bought it new), or do you just stick with whatever is cheaper solely based on funds and having money to purchase other things?

Heres a really good video from a guy who is against used games. He brings up some good points (from both sides) but is mainly against used.
[video=youtube;2G_f8YBy39M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G_f8YBy39M[/video]

He talks partly about Online Passes and DLC being good since its a way for developers to make money off consumers who buy used (and don't support the developer with their initial game purchase) which I think is a pretty good point.

He absolutely makes some really good points. The part about online passes and whatnot doesn't apply to me personally since I never play online, not on any platform. I just have no interest in it, hence I don't mooch off the game company servers. When I buy a game it's for offline playing, I might go online to purchase a DLC if it's a game I really, really like and want more of (doesn't happen all that often, but every now and then). But aside from that, I definitely see his point, and I agree that money should go to the developers, not a greedy store chain.

But the way things are right now, games are seriously expensive and that puts me off wanting to even consider buying most of them, meaning the only games I will end up buying are new titles in game franchises I am already familiar with. I'm simply not willing to throw a wad of cash at something I have no idea if I will even like. Even within the franchises I am familiar with I have been disappointed. So unless something seriously changes in terms of how games are priced, I will be dropping out of it more and more, and just stick with what I have today.

Skunk

Floof
Used. Unless it's a new game tthat I've really been anticipating. I've been hoping to get one of those cursed games you see in creepypastas... I've not stumbled upon one yet.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I almost always go with used. It's just not fiscally feasible for me to buy every game new, apart from franchises I really, really like (Zelda and Pokemon) and from the oddball game that catches my eye (like Portal 2 back in the day).

Beyond the fact that I just don't have that kind of money, I just don't care for most new games these days. It's like the industry has been infected with ultra-gritty "realism" and it's spreading to everything. Half of the games I see in the stores are first-person shooters, and apart from Bioshock Infinite they just don't have any appeal to me. (Though if I'm being honest, I do enjoy a few rounds of Zombies in Call of Duty, but that has more to do with the fact that it's with my sister and her friends, and it's really fun playing with them because they get scared easily.) I'm much more into the adventure and platformer genres and story-heavy games, like The Walking Dead, and so those tend to be the only games I get new or at least from within the past few years. Older games, my tastes are all over the board so it doesn't quite matter as much.

Also, I intensely hate the crap that developers pull on their games nowadays. I mean what the hell, why do I have to be online to play a single-player game just so they can run their stupid DRM crap? Also, they have gone overboard with the DLC in my opinion. Buying a new level or character to a game (which wasn't already on the disk) is perfectly okay for me, but not most of the other stuff. *rocking in my crickety old chair* I remember back in the old days when you unlocked a new level or cheat by, you know, PLAYING THE FREAKING GAME! *slams cane against the wooden porch*

I will admit, though, that my buying habits make me a bad customer for everybody but the developers for Zelda and Pokemon. Most times this doesn't bother me, but a few times it has gotten to me. I didn't buy Okami new back when it was re-released for the Wii, nor did I buy Chrono Trigger when it was re-released for the DS, and so those people will never get their hard-earned cash from me. And that really sucks, I WANT more games like Okami and Chrono Trigger coming out instead of the drivel that I see nowadays. Other games I regret not buying new to support the developers include: Metroid Prime 3, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and the Metal Gear Solid HD collection for the 360.

Dan

A lot of my game purchases come from Steam sales and any other digital deals I can get my hands on. I suppose that does count as new then.
Console games on the other hand I most of the time buy used, I will only buy new if it's a franchise I really love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom